IGNORED

Them Were The Days ... And I Thought It Were Parr Connor Low

swampy

The comment about the time spent on coach trips was interesting. I went by coach to see City play Shrewsbury a little bit later. This was an evening kick off so we left early afternoon and didn't get back until the early hours of the following morning. In those days, as fewer people had cars, the coaches travelled all around Bristol dropping people off. If you were one of the unfortunates to get of last, it added over an hour to the journey time.

However, it was worth it as I saw Atyeo score 4 goals. The rest, as they say, is history.

Just checked with Wiki ( I know) and my suspicions were correct. Chuck Drury took over from Gordie Parr the season before but the Right Half position he also shared with the aforementioned Terry Bush.

Geordie regained his place the following season scoring one goal in "Big John's" final game a 4-1 win at home to Ipswich.

The following season back in Div 2 Gibson, Ford, Briggs, Parr, Connor and Low played together in all but 7 games.

I remember the Oldham game as it was my first game watching City at Ashton Gate. Stood on the East End to the right of goal behind the Stan Butt advertising board which over the next two season we wreaked. Remember at the final whistle the pitch invasion and my dad throwing me over the railing to get on the pitch. The players appeared in the Williams stand with Atyeo, Fred Ford and Dolman celebrating promotion to Division 2.For me this was the start of a rollercoaster ride following City to the top division and then to bankruptcy. Followed by the ups and downs of last forty years as a City supporter with my father, brother and my kids all ardent City fans and do you know, I won't of missed any of it.    

Them were the days, right at the start of my exp of our Bristol City F.C. you certainly new you had been to a football game back then. 100% attendance at home and most away through out the Dicks era for me, great times to be a fan for sure culmulating in the promotion to the top tier.

So many players who wore their hearts on their shirts for our club, to many to mention but Galley, Garland, Gow, Gibson and the likes of Merrick etc.

Those days, they can never be repeated; to much P.C; H&S now and most players are just passing through.

The club who`s shirt they wear means little to them, just their employer for a few months/years.

Us fans just the sh height on the wheels, p taken regularly, the best bits now, are pre-match :drunk2:

Them were the days, right at the start of my exp of our Bristol City F.C. you certainly new you had been to a football game back then. 100% attendance at home and most away through out the Dicks era for me, great times to be a fan for sure culmulating in the promotion to the top tier.

So many players who wore their hearts on their shirts for our club, to many to mention but Galley, Garland, Gow, Gibson and the likes of Merrick etc.

Those days, they can never be repeated; to much P.C; H&S now and most players are just passing through.

The club who`s shirt they wear means little to them, just their employer for a few months/years.

Us fans just the sh height on the wheels, p taken regularly, the best bits now, are pre-match :drunk2:

Amazing days and nights indeed, they will never return sadly, but we have our memories, and in some cases bruises...x

I think robin perry changed his name by deed poll, to try and divert his obvious love for the sags, he was the most bias gas reporter i have ever had the displeasure to read......well we all remember  that swidoom geezer on the telly...Bodger Alone..total twunt..

I remember clearly Peter Post and his Pillar Box Club was the column & columnist for Rovers fans back then.

We had Pete Godsiff & the Posts grown ups sport pages (both sides of back page & majority of Green-Un (pink un) reporting for us... :)

(absolutely accurate recollections, not a hint of rose tinted biased memory honest)

I remember most of this team well, though I remember Terry Bush playing centre forward for the reserves and replacing John Galley whenever he was injured (which was quite a lot I recall).

Wages were relative and players were still on a lot more than the average Joe (though not the obscene amounts some are paid nowadays).

Standing on the terraces in the open end was 5 shillings (25p in new money) and half a crown (12 1/2p) for concessions.  Seemed like a lot at the time as it was a weeks pocket money.

That MOTD clip brings back so many memories of my early City supporting days, (surprisingly it appears we didn't win 'em all after all then! ...throws away the old rose tinted :laugh:)... Loved everything about Saturday afternoons at the Gate then, the REAL City/Rovers divide at school, work & throughout Bristol & the suburbs in those days. The shitty facilities we all endured with affection, the pocket money prices, the 'just like us' players (driving ordinary family cars or even bussing it!)... The wooden rattles, programme sellers outside the ground alongside the rosette boards on posts with cloth capped sellers, the lines of queues waiting to clickety clack through the turnstiles, the smelly bogs with perma-piss flooring , scarves, hats, the older pipe, Embassy, Woodbine or Old Holburn smoking fellas in cloth caps, the smells..yep its the smells that I can still imagine now, that lingers in the mind, the smell of guys straight from the factories still smelling of their workplaces, the heady mixture of various tobacco smoke clouds, the waft of liniments on the players and from the dressing rooms as the teams emerged from the tunnel, and even the unmistakeable stink from the bogs.. Saturdays at the Gate I miss them old days, the masses travelling on overcrowded green Bristol buses, the crowds marching up North St and across the park or up Winterstoke road... The togetherness you can't get nowadays with all the car travellers, it was the rubbing of shoulders, the tripping over of other peoples feet, the smells, yep the sights, sounds, togetherness on mass of fellow supporter, the moans the groans, the cheers chanting and laughter and it was the smells, the smells that reminds me of teenage Bristol City supporting match day experiences...

The COYR's chants are timeless though :) - Come On You Reds!

Thanks for posting that 44 year old MOTD clip - so much has changed yet so much remains the same (in hearts & minds -blimey we're all bloody mad!)

That MOTD clip brings back so many memories of my early City supporting days, (surprisingly it appears we didn't win 'em all after all then! ...throws away the old rose tinted :laugh:)... Loved everything about Saturday afternoons at the Gate then, the REAL City/Rovers divide at school, work & throughout Bristol & the suburbs in those days. The shitty facilities we all endured with affection, the pocket money prices, the 'just like us' players (driving ordinary family cars or even bussing it!)... The wooden rattles, programme sellers outside the ground alongside the rosette boards on posts with cloth capped sellers, the lines of queues waiting to clickety clack through the turnstiles, the smelly bogs with perma-piss flooring , scarves, hats, the older pipe, Embassy, Woodbine or Old Holburn smoking fellas in cloth caps, the smells..yep its the smells that I can still imagine now, that lingers in the mind, the smell of guys straight from the factories still smelling of their workplaces, the heady mixture of various tobacco smoke clouds, the waft of liniments on the players and from the dressing rooms as the teams emerged from the tunnel, and even the unmistakeable stink from the bogs.. Saturdays at the Gate I miss them old days, the masses travelling on overcrowded green Bristol buses, the crowds marching up North St and across the park or up Winterstoke road... The togetherness you can't get nowadays with all the car travellers, it was the rubbing of shoulders, the tripping over of other peoples feet, the smells, yep the sights, sounds, togetherness on mass of fellow supporter, the moans the groans, the cheers chanting and laughter and it was the smells, the smells that reminds me of teenage Bristol City supporting match day experiences...

The COYR's chants are timeless though :) - Come On You Reds!

Thanks for posting that 44 year old MOTD clip - so much has changed yet so much remains the same (in hearts & minds -blimey we're all bloody mad!)

47 years ago Whap.

Just a few years before my City supporting time, but when I started going in 1970 the biggest smell of all came from the away fans 'over there'...

'Over there. over there, and do they smell  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  ... like ******* hell'

Courtesy of Jim Reeves, Distant Drums, #1 1966.

47 years ago Whap.

Just a few years before my City supporting time, but when I started going in 1970 the biggest smell of all came from the away fans 'over there'...

'Over there. over there, and do they smell  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  ... like ******* hell'

Courtesy of Jim Reeves, Distant Drums, #1 1966.

I smell the smell

Of distant bums

Over there,over there.........

gordon parr, two own goals in one game.......now that's the miserable old performance level we are used to

Yet when he finished at City, Gordon moved to Waterford who had qualified as Ireland's only club in the European Cup that year.

Yet when he finished at City, Gordon moved to Waterford who had qualified as Ireland's only club in the European Cup that year.

I believe he used to commute by plane. A little later, another ex City player, Jantzen Derrick spent a season playing for Paris St Germain.

Seeing those guys back then I notice it wasn't unusual for supporters to wear shirt collar and ties in them days.

Could we organise a BCFC colours 'collar & tie match day' ... What an eyecatching display for a Sky TV game that would be... ?

Imagine shed loads of Bristol City 'smartest football fans in the land' on TV ..wearing collars & ties :)

No publiCity is bad publiCity (unless it involves punching horses etc).

gordon parr, two own goals in one game.......now that's the miserable old performance level we are used to

Maybe the mists of time but I'm sure back in the day we tended to score more than our fair share of OG's... Parr, Connor, probably Rooks ? & Wimshurst too were likely candidates to chip in with one now and again, .... anyone got the stats? , I'm no doubt incorrect but it feels kinda real in my fuzzy memory bank. :)

Popped up to see the Tour of Britain today at Mamhead.

Amazingly parked next to a City fan and talked about Atyeo et al for half an hour .. and then stood next to a Coventry City fan and talked about 'that' night.

Good old City. We're here, we're there, we're every ******** where!

Archived