IGNORED

2Nd Win At Ag In 24 Hours

22A

Well done Bristol! Good comeback to win with an exciting finish.

10-3 down at HT, pulled back to lead 18-16. Missed a penalty with minutes to go, then conceded one at he other end to trail 18-19 with 90 seconds left. Wham! Bris powered forward from the restart to score a try in stoppage time and win 23-19!

TV commentator praised the condition of the pitch stating you wouldn't think football had been played there the day before.

Anyone else feeling a strange affection to the egg chasers? For years I've been indifferent to them but now they play at Ashton Gate I find myself wishing them all the best.

I think this is how SL hopes to increase attendances and raise the profile of Bristol (sport), across the board.

• Admin

Well done Bristol! Good comeback to win with an exciting finish.

10-3 down at HT, pulled back to lead 18-16. Missed a penalty with minutes to go, then conceded one at he other end to trail 18-19 with 90 seconds left. Wham! Bris powered forward from the restart to score a try in stoppage time and win 23-19!

TV commentator praised the condition of the pitch stating you wouldn't think football had been played there the day before.

So the football fans rue the effect rugby will have on the state of the pitch & the rugby were concerned with the effect football will have on the pitch. Quality.

To be fair, if the standard holds we have one hell of a playing surface and my attention is always drawn to it on the photos City post on Facebook. It really is like a carpet and our players must be loving that they get to play half their games on such a true surface. We will benefit in the Winter too next season when they hook up the undersoil heating. Good times.

So the football fans rue the effect rugby will have on the state of the pitch & the rugby were concerned with the effect football will have on the pitch. Quality.

To be fair, if the standard holds we have one hell of a playing surface and my attention is always drawn to it on the photos City post on Facebook. It really is like a carpet and our players must be loving that they get to play half their games on such a true surface. We will benefit in the Winter too next season when they hook up the undersoil heating. Good times.

The real test will come this winter when it's really wet. We'll see how the pitch holds up then. Start of September isn't a true reflection IMO.

Having looked at both teams fixtures, fortunately there are only 2 or 3 occasions where we play at home a day or two after the rugby lot. Those games are fairly early and then late in the season as well so hopefully the pitch will be in pretty good condition then anyway and it won't affect us much.

• Admin

The real test will come this winter when it's really wet. We'll see how the pitch holds up then. Start of September isn't a true reflection IMO.

Having looked at both teams fixtures, fortunately there are only 2 or 3 occasions where we play at home a day or two after the rugby lot. Those games are fairly early and then late in the season as well so hopefully the pitch will be in pretty good condition then anyway and it won't affect us much.

Am I right in thinking the pitch has been raised slightly too during the close season? Hopefully this means they will have improved the drainage at the same time which to be fair was pretty good in the first place.

A few observations after watching today's match:

David Lloyd did a good job (as always) giving advice to ruggers who wanted to buy tickets.

I've never understood why so many people complained about the acoustics in the Atyeo. I was there today and the noise seemed to be the same as the old Wedlock. And I could actually see the match!

City / Bristol Rugby still can't seem to get properly organised concerning catering. It's obvious that a rugby crowd will want to buy drinks when watching the match. Far too few people serving = long queues. As mentioned in numerous previous posts, why not poor some pints ready for the half time rush?

No looneys setting off smoke bombs and all the supporters keen on watching the match instead of the usual suspects trying to start a punch up.

Edit - I couldn't understand why the goal keepers didn't come our to catch the ball after a big boot down the middle.

Seeing how one of the aims of this strange game is to kick the ball OVER the bar. How many balls did they lose over the shedman end?

I think it was 2, possibly 3, much lower than I would have thought. They did manage to lose a couple over the Atyeo and there is one on the Williams roof as well I think!

Highest ever crowd for a championship regular season rugby match.

Not a regular game but a Championship game nonetheless - about 12,500 at the Memorial Rugby Ground for the play-off final second leg against Exeter and we lost. I've only been to a few Bristol games since but I was truely gutted and I felt just as bad over that as when we lost to Hull City in the play-off final in 2008.

Not a regular game but a Championship game nonetheless - about 12,500 at the Memorial Rugby Ground for the play-off final second leg against Exeter and we lost. I've only been to a few Bristol games since but I was truely gutted and I felt just as bad over that as when we lost to Hull City in the play-off final in 2008.

Was about that many at the play off final a few months back.

Hopefully now we're at the gate we can beat that if we make it again.

Was about that many at the play off final a few months back.

Hopefully now we're at the gate we can beat that if we make it again.

I was at the Bristol v Bath game in the Premiership at Ashton Gate - 20,000+ there I believe. Mark Regan was playing and we actually beat Bath for once !!!!! :clapping:

It was a good day at AG. Great game and great fans from both sides. Most importantly, a really competitive game with an amazing finish. For those who aren't sure what Bristol Sport is all about, this weekend has gone some way to demonstrating it. Two Bristol teams aiming for sporting excellence and showcasing our great city.

I was at the Bristol v Bath game in the Premier League at Ashton Gate - 20,000+ there I believe. Mark Regan was playing and we actually beat Bath for once !!!!! :clapping:

Remember Gareth Llewellyn laying someone out during a well attended Barf match at AG too. Not sure we won that day though. :-(

*edit

Bosh.

Anyone else feeling a strange affection to the egg chasers? For years I've been indifferent to them but now they play at Ashton Gate I find myself wishing them all the best.

In the late 80's and early 90's (who remembers Eric Thillet and letters on the back of very thick cotton shirts?) I was a season ticket holder for Bristol Rugby at the mem. My now departed Grandpa took me to rugby one week and then down the gate for City the next. When the scum stole the mem and squatted I refused to go back, and over the years I lost interest as my connection with the rugby wained.

When I heard that Bris were coming to AG I couldn't be happier to know the two clubs I grew up watching would be in one place, however, what I would love more than anything is for Steve Lansdown buy the mem for a pound when the scum go into administration, then move Bris back to their rightful home and redevelop the ground to modern day standards.

History and nostalgia is a big thing for me, so 25-30 years on seeing Bris play in a place they can call theirs, would feel right. :)

Archived