IGNORED

Worst City Keeper

where's the joy

People quickly forget the amount of good saves James made. 

Mike Hooper was pants for us but only played the odd game, but that was enough.

More recently it has to be Gerken for me. Whenever he was in goal you just knew there would be the inevitable mistake per match.

I'll get slated & he has gone on to better things but football is all about opinions.

David James.

A shadow of his former self when he got to us, and so mistake prone that he contributed to the defences' nervousness. Also I've never known a keeper seemingly unable to kick the ball further than their own half. (That's when he wasn't rolling the ball to a player who had an opponent right on their shoulder.)

Hooper and Leigh had one bad game each, but other than that I can't recall a bad City keeper. Would not class Anderson, Gerken, Phillips or Dykstra as awful, and Parrish did a job when thrown in at deep end. The most wasteful signing was James, he was OK, but no better than what we had, and we should have been giving Henderson his chance.

People quickly forget the amount of good saves James made. 

Mike Hooper was pants for us but only played the odd game, but that was enough.

More recently it has to be Gerken for me. Whenever he was in goal you just knew there would be the inevitable mistake per match.

I'll get slated & he has gone on to better things but football is all about opinions.

I thought football was partly about goals, but that would just be my opinion.

James wasn't as bad as people are making out, yeah he didn't exactly live up to his reputation and his reported wages but he was a solid enough goalkeeper and didn't make massive blunders too often.. He's certainly an improvement on what we have right now.

Stop kidding yourself.

I've been watching City as a ST since 01/02 so the keepers I have seen regularly are... Phillips, Basso, Gerken, James, Heaton, Fielding.

David James is definitely top of that list in terms of worst keepers. IMO he made more mistakes than the others and cost us more (huge wages and losing Henderson).

Also 'good shot stopper' is the biggest myth in football. EVERY goal keeper is a good stopper (at least every keeper at AG in recent years according the the forum) but that does not make you and all round good goal keeper. Stopping shots is the easy bit IMO. Positioning, decision making and communication are what make keepers great.

Archived