IGNORED

Bcfc V Crystal Palace Matchday Thread...

spudski

Ft 0-2

Looked like a very inexperienced/small side we put out.

Surely these are not the reg 21s ?

They've won 2 from 3 before tonight we were just up against a big Palace team tonight.

Still encouraging signs tho, Morrell had a very good second half I thought and he was probably the youngest player on he pitch.

Lewis Hall desperately needs to learn a trick or two as he didn't beat his man all night.

Thought we played much better 2nd half when we got the ball & passed through midfield.

Not followed the U21's to closely this season but Mafuta & Murphy normally play midfield so was surprised to see them in the back 3. A few injuries in that position perhaps?

Gus Mafuta was classy & surely the closest to breaking into the 1st team?

City played well...but as said...Palace were huge in comparison. Some very physical, fast lads in their team.

We looked composed and never panicked. Some nice football being played... Palace played more on the counter attack.

We did hit the bar, had a couple off the line and won a few headers at corners that should have found the target.

Stand out player for me was our CB Mufutu. Very good build, tall, solid, won his headers, good vision, good distribution...good feet for a big lad...even a cruyff turn to boot....read the game very well and always looked to have time on the ball...always a good sign. Would like to see him play in a Cup game.

Tom Fry looked ok...but needs to bulk up. Linked well with the forwards and wing back.

Liam Monelle is a feisty little forward...gets stuck in...reminded me of the way Rooney plays.

Jack Alexander had a solid game as did Morrell and Withey.

Thought we looked a little weak down our left. Lewis Hall and Ben Last having indifferent games.

We looked a composed team with purpose...and playing to a plan. Interestingly we played with wing backs like the first team.

Very enjoyable game.

My first trip to see an U21 game tonight.

Echo what's been said about the physical difference in the sides. On average Palace had a good few years and inches on our boys.

City played well at times, creating some really good situations without finding the right final ball or finish.

Mafuta was our stand out player.  He looked really capable and composed.

Seeing as we have a match tomorrow, I'm sure plenty were missing

I don't want our under 21s full of first team squad members.

We're doing the right thing in promoting the 18s into the 21s so they can grow as a team over the next couple of years and gain valuable experience against bigger, stronger players.

Agree with everyone about Mafuta but given his ability on the ball he surely has to play in midfield? Guess he was covering - where was Batten?

We're doing the right thing in promoting the 18s into the 21s so they can grow as a team over the next couple of years and gain valuable experience against bigger, stronger players.

Agree with everyone about Mafuta but given his ability on the ball he surely has to play in midfield? Guess he was covering - where was Batten?

Batten is injured

If it were me...I'd be looking to play Mafutu as a central defender always.

He had the lot.

It was so pleasing to see the lad make the right decisions each time he won the ball.

He had two tough lads to play against...Ferrier and Adarabioyo. He controlled them well.

It's not often you get to see a Central defender bring the ball down and control it so well...make the right pass, weighted correctly. He looked really comfortable on the ball.

If you have all the ability of a holding midfielder but can also defend like a good CB, then I'd be looking to make a career as the latter. They are much harder to come by with that sort of quality.

It crossed my mind that if Aden Flint continued to progress and Mufutu continued in the same vein, then we would have a quality CB pairing soon.

As for last nights team... from what I can remember, Lewis Hall was the only U21 playing. They were all under 18.

We don't have that many U21's tbh... especially ones that haven't played in the first team.

If it were me...I'd be looking to play Mafutu as a central defender always.

He had the lot.

It was so pleasing to see the lad make the right decisions each time he won the ball.

He had two tough lads to play against...Ferrier and Adarabioyo. He controlled them well.

It's not often you get to see a Central defender bring the ball down and control it so well...make the right pass, weighted correctly. He looked really comfortable on the ball.

If you have all the ability of a holding midfielder but can also defend like a good CB, then I'd be looking to make a career as the latter. They are much harder to come by with that sort of quality.

It crossed my mind that if Aden Flint continued to progress and Mufutu continued in the same vein, then we would have a quality CB pairing soon.

As for last nights team... from what I can remember, Lewis Hall was the only U21 playing. They were all under 18.

We don't have that many U21's tbh... especially ones that haven't played in the first team.

Fair points. Billy Murphy can play DMC also and from what I've seen looks good in that position - better than he did in defence last night.

Mafuta has that kind of coolness on the ball that Caulker has, or even Del Williams...good to watch.

Fair points. Billy Murphy can play DMC also and from what I've seen looks good in that position - better than he did in defence last night.

Mafuta has that kind of coolness on the ball that Caulker has, or even Del Williams...good to watch.

Caulker did cross my mind too...

The question is then, why hasn't Mafuta been around the first team more? Sounds like he could really add something, not that we haven't been doing well so far this season

The question is then, why hasn't Mafuta been around the first team more? Sounds like he could really add something, not that we haven't been doing well so far this season

Because Ayling, Flint and Williams have been fine so far.

Osborne hasn't even been getting a sniff!

I suppose Mafuta is technically 6th choice CB. Unlikely he'll get a game this season in the league but def worth a start up at Chelt in the tinpot trophy.

Because Ayling, Flint and Williams have been fine so far.

Osborne hasn't even been getting a sniff!

I suppose Mafuta is technically 6th choice CB. Unlikely he'll get a game this season in the league but def worth a start up at Chelt in the tinpot trophy.

I find that a touch worrying though. I'm not for a minute suggesting we should change anything, but if he looks that good a prospect, he's not going to wait around in the reserves hoping for 3 other centre backs or 3 midfielders to get injured

Archived