IGNORED

Radio Bristol Commentary

P'head Red

I'm thrilled with our start to the season as we all are, but I am genuinely annoyed at the level of commentary that we get as city fans. I have brushed it off in the past, but I have had enough, I feel sorry for Adam Baker having to sit next to these 'commentators' at away games, they get excited when the opposition are on the attack, and almost celebrate when the opposition scores. Would it be so hard for them to get a Commentator who has links with the club, it is so infuriating when listening to these planks. Rant over.

Up the city

I'm thrilled with our start to the season as we all are, but I am genuinely annoyed at the level of commentary that we get as city fans. I have brushed it off in the past, but I have had enough, I feel sorry for Adam Baker having to sit next to these 'commentators' at away games, they get excited when the opposition are on the attack, and almost celebrate when the opposition scores. Would it be so hard for them to get a Commentator who has links with the club, it is so infuriating when listening to these planks. Rant over.

Up the city

I can't remember what they do when the opposition score! :)

Adam baker should not be allowed to do the commentary, I've nothing against him but he's not going to ever say anything controversial about as 'collegue' is he?

But what he will say......a lot, is "very much so", I like the guy but that seriously pisses me off, it's the start of almost every reply he gives.

Isn't it great that we are moaning about stuff like this! Not much else to moan about at the moment. COYR!

It's a local radio commentary. I don't want someone with rose tinted glasses and if they were more than half good they would drift off to Radio 5 .

Just let me know what's going on, suits me.

That's right - LOCAL radio. Which means that something like 95% of listeners to the match are supporting city.

It doesn't need to be overly biased towards city, but at the moment if anything it seems biased towards the opposition.

It would be nice to hear a bit more excitement when we attack or score, and a little more discomfort when we concede...just to mirror what we are going through.

To be honest though I don't mind the guy so much tonight. It's the other one that send the steam out of my ears.

Adam Baker does a great job for City and does some excellent interviews but is far too anodyne.  A co-commentator has to be a bit more 'colourful'  - the test match special guys are the best examples in sports commentary in general.  Adam is a bit bland and it's partly because he has to tread on eggshells and avoid saying anything that a City player or the hierarchy could take exception to.  A cheeky chappy like Scott Murray (although still an employer) could get away with a bit more. I'd rather they rotate it between ex-players or others with City connections. Paul Cheesley was good and Louis Carey was quite entertaining.

The City commentry is fine. Bloke tonight was fairly descriptive of the action (i.e. where on the pitch the ball was, mentioning players making runs off the ball etc) and actually knows the name of the opposition players

I listened to the oppositions commentary a while back , I think Rochdale, and it was terrible. The commentator was a fan and started getting super-excited everytime they got the ball without describing what was actually going on. Plus called all our players "the Bristol player". Didn't bother to learn anyones names

Fans as commentators are the worst things ever

Says who? Were Phil Tottle or Colin Howlett ever impartial? I loved those good old days.

Good old Phil Tottle. He wasn't the best technically but he actually sounded enthusiastic and, where appropriate, injected a bit of humour. He managed to make a dull match worth listening to.

Bottom line is that Adam Baker can't risk his job by being too critical of any element of Bristol City. That includes the formation, the style of play, the players either as a team or as individuals, the manager or his substitutions.

Unfortunate though that it is I actually quite like listening to him.

Good old Phil Tottle. He wasn't the best technically but he actually sounded enthusiastic and, where appropriate, injected a bit of humour. He managed to make a dull match worth listening to.

Phil 'er' Tottle, aka Full Throttle. I have a recollection he was removed from City commentaries specifically BECAUSE he was perceived as too pro City. Possibly this happened when Twentyman returned to RBris following his best forgotten flirtation with Holloway as assistant manager at rovers. Wasn't Tottle discretely moved to cricket commentaries at Glos for a while, before being gently retired from our wirelesses?

Top man, by the way.

I don't often make a comment but I have to agree that radio Bristol is awful. The number one commentator couldn't even get it right about how many points we would be clear tonight at one stage. Surely at that level you do some homework and have facts and figures in front of you !!

One other point, why were we on FM and the non league Gas in  a home game on DAB. I know it has been stated many times before but they are non league. I have never heard full commentary on Weston , Bath etc on any station. It makes me seethe !!

I don't often make a comment but I have to agree that radio Bristol is awful. The number one commentator couldn't even get it right about how many points we would be clear tonight at one stage. Surely at that level you do some homework and have facts and figures in front of you !!

One other point, why were we on FM and the non league Gas in  a home game on DAB. I know it has been stated many times before but they are non league. I have never heard full commentary on Weston , Bath etc on any station. It makes me seethe !!

Because like it or not they get home gates larger than a number of league teams, Weston and Bath never have, nor will. I would have thought this was obvious.

I wish I was able to listen to radio Bristol!

In Somerset we only get to listen to the fn Yeovil games.

I don't care how bad the commentary is or what they say, I wouldn't care if they praised the opposition for 90 minutes.

I just want to be able to listen to the game!

Yeovil's crowds are pathetic and I bet only a couple hundred people even listen to there games on the radio.

We had City games on the radio in Somerset for 20-30 years before fn Yeovil got in the league,then all of a sudden we lose the City games and get them instead.

It's all a load of Bollixx

We are talking about Radio Bristol here, a god damn awful radio station with 3rd rate presenters and the sports editor a bitter blue, might answer why its so shite and not worth listening to.

Although Geoff has deep roots with the Gash I can categorically tell you he is not a fan and indeed has "issues" with the club currently.

The guy prefers golf to football nowadays anyway.

I don't care how bad the commentary is or what they say, I wouldn't care if they praised the opposition for 90 minutes.

Yeovil's crowds are pathetic and I bet only a couple hundred people even listen to there games on the radio.

We had City games on the radio in Somerset for 20-30 years before fn Yeovil got in the league,then all of a sudden we lose the City games and get them instead.

Same here, trying to find the City game to listen to and all i could get was Yeovil!

Every game has commentary on player, wherever you are in the country.

I wish I could join in with this, but in work last night with my DAB and all I could get was some no mark non League team Vs Nuneaton !

The FM wouldn't or couldn't find Radio Bristol , I hate trying to follow a game by phone on the BBC sport site.

Archived