IGNORED

The Robin And......

BS4 on Tour...

Does anyone else want our old badge back - the one with the Robin on the football in front of the Suspension Bridge?

I certainly do ....makes me all misty eyed remembering the old days growing up between pillars 3 and 4 in the East End seeing the Suspension Bridge lit up above the old open end during evening matches....

Oh well! Nostalgia isn't what it used to be!!

Looking back through the history book, there was no badge on the shirts until the late 40's. The first badge was a robin facing to the right perched on a traditional brown leather football. (Norwich had something similar except theirs had a canary). Then the club adopted the Bristol coat of arms and followed that with the robin looking to the left perched on a modern b & w football imposed on the suspension bridge. Now we are back with coat of arms.

To my mind the susp bridge was the best looking.

Guest North Street

It was pointed out ot me by non Bristolian City fans that having the Bristol coat of arms could symbolise other teams in Bristol....! Also they felt that City are a "West Country" team drawing support from Somerset , Wiltshire and Gloucstershire and having this crest did not represent this.I did prefer the Robin as it still reminds me of more favourable times Cheesley, Gardland etc and being taken into the East End as a child.If it is redesigned hopefully whoever designed that thing Bournemouth used to have [?] is given a very wide berth, not good.

I like the coat of arms, but feel that the robin should be incorporated on the shirt somewhere, such as on the sleeve.

It is part of our history, but I can't see it coming back because attempts have been made to eradicate it as our mascot and nickname, as either Steve or Colin hinted at once. Firstly there was the new badge, then the new mascot (the crap City Cat) and no more 'Red Red Robin' played at the Gate.

Unfortunately that robin cull that all the people complained about in the Evening Post the other day was started by this club :laugh:

Guest keeptheredflagflyinghigh

Why not mix and match both old & new, have the newer coat of arms with a the robins and sus bridge in it, might look a bit much, but... oh i gota idea, how about we scrap the new and the old and have like get one of the primary schools to create one, and the winner gets a free shirt

Guest East End Pillar 3

Am I right in thinking that just after the dark days of 1982 our shirts only had BCFC 1982 written on them, with no badge or design, for a season or so?

Am I right in thinking that just after the dark days of 1982 our shirts only had BCFC 1982 written on them, with no badge or design, for a season or so?
ALMOST RIGHT..

1981 / 82 we still had the robin badge.it was our first wembley

trip in 1986 and that season that our shirts did not

have a badge on them, just bcfc.1982.

IMAG0001.GIF

IMAG0015.JPG

Guest East End Pillar 3

Thanks, I remember now. I think for the Mansfield game in 87 we also had BCFC 1982, but on the away kit of white with a red band around the middle.

I'd also forgotten just how bad Glyn Rileys mullet was! Great striker, cr@p haircut.

Thanks, I remember now. I think for the Mansfield game in 87 we also had BCFC 1982, but on the away kit of white with a red band around the middle.

I'd also forgotten just how bad Glyn Rileys mullet was! Great striker, cr@p haircut.

yep that is right but we had the robin badge on the shirts as well.

IMAG0002.JPG

IMAG0017.JPG

Guest East End Pillar 3

Thanks again! I'd also forgotten about Gordon bl@@dy Owen.

Missed against Swindon if I recall in front of us in the East End ending any chance of the play offs and again against Mansfield at Wembley (at least it was at the other end).

:dunno:

Thanks again! I'd also forgotten about Gordon bl@@dy Owen.

Missed against Swindon if I recall in front of us in the East End ending any chance of the play offs and again against Mansfield at Wembley (at least it was at the other end).

:dunno:

yeah, and david moyes missed one at wembley :dunno:

GOD i want the robin back. I grew up in the east end in the eighties and the robin was as much part of BCFC as the EE was.

I think the new badge means as much to the gas as it does to us. Give me the old badge anytime.

P.S. I'm looking to get a City tattoo and its the OLD badge I'm getting.

Archived