IGNORED

Negative Mindset/substitutions

Who Are Rovers?

The first half was OK. 2nd half was so negative and we only attacked their goal when they scored (ie too late).

Great to be top of the league and no one is knocking that but when you have the quality of players we have, then we shouldn't be sitting back for long periods with a one goal as Rochdale/Fleetwood/Today can happen.

Out of interest, were you there?

I think the reality is that the substitutions made no difference. We played really well first half, but the whole team played poorly second half and I'm no sure the introduction of anyone would have made no difference.

Sometimes teams play poorly. The second half we did and truthfully were lucky to hold on for a point.

Hmmm I dunno.

In fact we'll never know, but it was crying out for a change. I personally would have brought Burns on.

Someone to run at them and bother them - the same old Wagstaff or Pack for Freeman never really inspires anyone does it?

(Interesting that Walsall brought off Baxendale that I thought was by far their best player)

We looked tired today and in the second half we didn't put them under pressure like we can do. However I wonder if Walsall made us look more tired than we were as they were very busy and put us under a lot of pressure. I think SC likes to use subs late on for a last bit of energy at the end but I echo what's been said about a spark being needed, whether that's from JET, Burns or both. Shame we didn't perform well and let a lead slip but a point away from home when we don't perform will do. COYR!!

Hmmm I dunno.

In fact we'll never know, but it was crying out for a change. I personally would have brought Burns on.

Someone to run at them and bother them - the same old Wagstaff or Pack for Freeman never really inspires anyone does it?

(Interesting that Walsall brought off Baxendale that I thought was by far their best player)

Yeah I thought he looked a good player too, as well as their #9 Bradshaw(?) he looked decent while he was on the pitch.

Yeah we`re top of the league but; we are "tired" have a manager who dosent know when to make subs and has a negative mindset, why? well, because we didn't beat Walsall who have recently taken some decent scalps.

Shame on silly old SC :facepalm:

We have in fact one of, if not the best managers, certainly the best players in this div and seem to have forgotten how to lose;

I would say some fans with a negative mindset should wake the hell up and remember just a year ago when the king of negative mindsets was here.

This is the best we`ve been for ages STOP PICKING HOLES or we will fall down one.

Yeah we`re top of the league but; we are "tired" have a manager who dosent know when to make subs and has a negative mindset, why? well, because we didn't beat Walsall who have recently taken some decent scalps.

We have in fact one of, if not the best managers, certainly the best players in this div and seem to have forgotten how to lose;

I would say some fans with a negative mindset should wake the hell up and remember just a year ago when the king of negative mindsets was here.

This is the best we`ve been for ages STOP PICKING HOLES or we will fall down one.

The fact is, unless you have been perfect all season, winning all games, not conceding goals, scoring plenty etc, then there are improvements to be made.

We should always be looking to improve, no matter how good we are, and the sooner we identify these, and the club and SC take note, the sooner we keep progressing.

• Admin

Yeah we`re top of the league but; we are "tired" have a manager who dosent know when to make subs and has a negative mindset, why? well, because we didn't beat Walsall who have recently taken some decent scalps.

I'm intrigued whether you went today or not?

Yeah,we are top but nothing has been won yet,and as written above we should always look to improve.

Let's get it right whilst we are in this great position

Yeah,we are top but nothing has been won yet,and as written above we should always look to improve.

And lets not forget Swindle and MK Dons have a game in hand. They got to win that of course but should they do they'll be in striking distance.

Given the inbreds good run atm they could easily overhaul us at one point in the near future, we got to snap out of this sitting back on a 1-0 or a lead in general... feel we dropped 6 points due to this and I don't think Walsall were much cop either.

Clown.

Don't write with the authority of being there if you weren't.

You're like the people who ring up Twentyman moaning about the game for five minutes and then admit they didn't go!

It's like sneaking in through the fire exit of a cinema to get in for free and then going around to everyone, complaining the film was crap!

Who borrows someone else's player log in ffs..?!

Intrigue over, no I wasn't there:o  was last week though and this subs thing has been dragged out for weeks now.

Its the only thing some have had to moan at since March, of course we can improve...........like win every game but we should leave it to the manager imo as he works with the players everyday :dunno:

Something isn't right in the way we are finishing games though.

We've now thrown away 4 points in a row away and almost (and probably should have the way we played) at home.

We are lethargic and looked tired.

Maybe because he only plays the same 11?

If that game wasn't crying out for a change then when is it time for one?

Burns? JET?

I mean Wagstaff for Freeman? Really?

Let's be pleased with a point, People see it as sitting back, I saw it as playing like we have all season when in the lead

We change to counter attack, The opposition tend to leave gaps when looking for a goal but sadly yesterday we couldn't find these. Games like this will happen being left frustrated but we could easily of lost if we went all out for the winner. Points on the board are all that matter and we got one.

Roll on to the next game and maybe 3 points on the cards

... Also substitutions, How can anyone tell if it would be effective or not? Yes we can add what we would do from the stand but no one can tell if that sub at that time will help see out a win or help us grab another

Let's be pleased with a point, People see it as sitting back, I saw it as playing like we have all season when in the lead

And it has cost us again. As soon as they equalised we started to attack and look dangerous again for the last few minutes - we should have been doing that all 2nd half until we were 2 up and the game was over.

Sorry Jeff- you're going to have to enlighten me-

what overall picture?

Think he means the overall picture that we are unbeaten in  the league since March, top the table and have a healthy positive goal difference for the first time in ages.

Also, that a manager many dismissed as a hoofball merchant before he arrived, has confounded his critics by building a solid squad playing good football. All of which puts us in a strong position to challenge for promotion this season.

Part of the overall picture is that we have conceded winning positions on 2 occasions this season, and during these games SC could have made different substitutions and earlier in the games. However, it is always easy to know what he should have done with the benefit of hindsight, and knowing City fans, had SC made different substitutions and we had gone on to lose those games I suspect all of OTIBs fully qualified managers would have been quick to tell him where he went wrong.

Given our current position and the overall picture, would I trust the judgement of the manager that has turned the club around in 6 months, or the OTIB experts on all things football who are only too quick to jump on any opportunity to express negativity?

Think he means the overall picture that we are unbeaten in  the league since March, top the table and have a healthy positive goal difference for the first time in ages.

Also, that a manager many dismissed as a hoofball merchant before he arrived, has confounded his critics by building a solid squad playing good football. All of which puts us in a strong position to challenge for promotion this season.

Part of the overall picture is that we have conceded winning positions on 2 occasions this season, and during these games SC could have made different substitutions and earlier in the games. However, it is always easy to know what he should have done with the benefit of hindsight, and knowing City fans, had SC made different substitutions and we had gone on to lose those games I suspect all of OTIBs fully qualified managers would have been quick to tell him where he went wrong.

Given our current position and the overall picture, would I trust the judgement of the manager that has turned the club around in 6 months, or the OTIB experts on all things football who are only too quick to jump on any opportunity to express negativity?

Good post. The point is, had SC listened to the opinion of the fans, he would've made attacking substitutions, made defensive substitutions, brought on JET, sold JET, left JET out of the squad, played five up top, played six at the back, played a diamond formation... He can't please everybody all of the time, which is why he makes the important decisions. And by the look of our league position he is calling the majority of them correctly. Amen to that.

Sorry Jeff- you're going to have to enlighten me-

what overall picture?

Playing a settled team has its benefits but will eventually run out of steam.

Cottetrill has been reluctant to play the fringe players for any length of time bar one game when pack replaced freeman in the starting line up with little success.

We are amply covered defensively, where i have no concerns, but in other departments we could struggle to cover 2 or 3 absences through injury or suspension.

We are currently in an excellent position thanks to the performances of 11 players so far this season, but the signs are showing that some may need a break to recharge again.

This is where problems could arise.

Do you have faith in the likes of wagstaff, pack and co to maintain our level of results if required because at the moment cotterill obviously doesn't.

I do hope i'm wrong !

The lesson I take from this timely reminder is that Orient and Peterborough after 10 games had more points on the board than we did , this year, after 10 games. Neither were promoted. Let's not get carried away!

Cottetrill has been reluctant to play the fringe players for any length of time bar one game when pack replaced freeman in the starting line up with little success.

We are amply covered defensively, where i have no concerns, but in other departments we could struggle to cover 2 or 3 absences through injury or suspension.

We are currently in an excellent position thanks to the performances of 11 players so far this season, but the signs are showing that some may need a break to recharge again.

Do you have faith in the likes of wagstaff, pack and co to maintain our level of results if required because at the moment cotterill obviously doesn't.

I do hope i'm wrong !

Our fringe players aren't in the same standard of our starting 11, look at Wagstaff for Freeman.. the only player who seems to try and push us up with his runs and he brings on Wagstaff, who after a year of watching him I still have no idea what his position is. SC seems reluctant to dip into the loan market.

Agree with a lot of the aforementioned comments, my concern is that Cotts doesn't seem to have the confidence in JET to do a job, if that is the case he needs to be shipped out or at least be given a game, or at least 20 minutes or so. He will of course play on Wednesday,and unless he has a blinder nothing will change.

But I do think Cotts has a small squad and must add a couple of good players in the window to give him more options, but it is a concern that the last few matches we have lost the lead, if we are serious about being champions this needs to stop! :yes:  

Have you read the entire thread or just page 2? What you thought Jeff meant isn't the case when you read his next post.

I do hope i'm wrong !

If you read my recent thread " January transfer opportunities" you'll see that I certainly don't .

My original comment served to highlight the fact that we didn't lose- we got an away draw which is fine. We aren't going to play well every game but in typical OTIB fashion, it's cause for alarm.

Clown.

Don't write with the authority of being there if you weren't.

You're like the people who ring up Twentyman moaning about the game for five minutes and then admit they didn't go!

Ah, forgot the rule that you aren't aloud an opinion if you don't attend the game, ever so sorry sir.

The game yesterday was one of only two games I've missed this season, so I think I'm very much entitled to my opinion thankyou.

The real problem with threads like this are, people are trying to suggest as matter of 'fact' that, we dropped points because of substitutions either through lack of, lateness of or wrong ones, of course by the same token had SC listened to the advice we could have dropped even more points, who knows? certainly not the forum mystic Meg's. Constructive critique is fine, like 'what might have happened if?', opinion is fine but to suggest it to be pretty much a statement of fact is ridiculous.

The FACT's that actually matter are 11 league games unbeaten, 4 points clear at the top of the league, 17 leagues games unbeaten in total, 1 defeat in the last 24 league games, 3 of our last 5 defeats were against the 3 promoted teams last season and the other 2 were against teams expect to be amongst our rivals this season.

What I love is the incredible shift in expectation from 12 months ago. 12 months ago we were still 3 WEEKS AWAY from our first league win of the season and yet people were saying crap like, 'what did you expect, playing against them', 'we are in transition', 'we only lost by the odd goal' and our leader was telling us to 'expect more pain'.

The unchanged squad that we have put out consistently over the past 5/6 games, contains 9 of last seasons squad from a year ago and as I said in a previous thread, they couldn't beat a ******* egg, so a lot has changed and pretty much all for the good, it's time to forget the apocalypse that many predicted when SC took over and support him, whether you don't like his accent or his interviews, it seems to me the most important people at the club like him and that is the players and that's another change for the good.

Archived