IGNORED

Blatter And The Away Goals Rule

Southport Red

There is an article in The Times today saying Blatter is considering scrapping the 'away goals' rule for tournaments.

The thinking is that it favours the team playing away in the second leg, because they can take things to extra time and therefore get more chances to score an away goal.

Whilst this is true, it also means that the team playing at home in the second leg get more time with 'home advantage' and more time to score a winner of their own. Surely these two facts cancel each other out nicely?

There are so many things wrong with football right now, why mess with something that has worked well since the 1960's. I don't think I have EVER heard a fan calling for the removal of the 'unfair' away goals rule.

In the event of the game being tied at the end of two legs ( including the away goal rule) the extra time should start at level scores. Any goals scored in ET do not count as away goals.

Essentially both teams have another 30 mins to try to win the game despite the tie having 180 mins played already. Simples.

Leave the away goals rule, it's fine

Stop seeding tournaments so the big boys avoid one another, and stop having league formats

No seeding, straight knock out

Sorted. Where do I apply to replace Blatter?

No chance, the whole purpose is to rig tournaments so that the maximum television revenue can obtained.

No chance, the whole purpose is to rig tournaments so that the maximum television revenue can obtained.

I know the reasoning behind it, but what a shame

Half the fun of the old European competitions, before they ruined it, was two legs, and you could get some team from Malta in the first round, or you could get Barcelona......no fun when you can work it out all the way to the final

The away goals rule was originally introduced because too many away teams played defensively hoping for a draw. The style of play was often dull in the extreme. Away goals counting double was to encourage away teams to adopt a more proactive style and thereby producing more attractive football.

The away goals rule was originally introduced because too many away teams played defensively hoping for a draw. The style of play was often dull in the extreme. Away goals counting double was to encourage away teams to adopt a more proactive style and thereby producing more attractive football.

Unfortunately it's resulted in teams being defensive at home, as might have been predicted :facepalm:

Archived