IGNORED

City's Biggest Away Attendance?

Aipearcey

Seeing the club has been now been given 3700 tickets for Saturday, with a possible allocation of 6500 got me thinking what was city's highest ever away attendance? Don't think we will get get anywhere near that Saturday but would be great to take a massive away following somewhere like wolves did last season

Coventry away in the late 70's, the game needed to stay in the old div 1 must be up there with around 10k away fans

I knocked off School for that one and bumped into the teacher that should have been teaching me that afternoon Sh*tting myself that I was in serious trouble he just looked at me and said 'If you don't tell I wont'   

Think we took 17.5k to Coventry.

We were in the coaches that turned up at 7:30 so played a small part in our survival! Don't think the police knew where to put us. Remember the faces of the Cov fans when they saw hundreds of us queueing at the open end turnstiles. Packed the centre sections and both goals at our end. One of the best nights ever, although Forest wasn't far short.

THAT game at Cov!    Sickie taken from work, breakfast in the Railway Tav at Charfield, then lift to Wotton from the girlfriend of the time (who was waaaay out of my league, but  thanks for those lessons Jacqui).  Jenkins' Coach to Cov............ M5 and M6 were just unbelievable with all of the red and white traffic.  

COYR 

Coventry was brilliant. 

I was an apprentice at the time and tried to tell my college lecturer I had a dental appointment.  He said I know you're going to football and I wont let you !  I told him we have a break at 3pm see if I'm back after that !   Luckily he never reported me to my company.

Got in the ground just as they kicked off . Half the home end was City ,I think nearly half the crowd was,  fantastic night. 

Some that I remember with big support at away matches.

1957 Villa FA Cup

1967 Tottenham FA Cup at least six train loads

1976 WBA league

1976 Arsenal league

1977 Coventry reputedly 15,000

1989 Forest League cup s/f

1993 Liverpool

I don't count any mataches v Rovers away because it so close.

Been at Cardiff in the 50's with several train loads.

Also v Leicester FA Cup when Jacki played his first game.

In recent years what about the 4.5k to reading. Scared reading so much they vowed never to give that allocation away again.

That was the highest ever away following at the Madjeski until beaten by Liverpool a couple of years later.

Nearly 5k to Sheff Wed for a league game was impressive too altho we were on a 11 game winning run at the time.

There's no way I would travel to MK and neither would a fair few others because of the way that franchise was formed.

However the 4.8k to Hillsborough in roughly 2003?

Forest 4.5k in 2005/6

Coventry 3.6k in 2007

In terms of the 77 game at Cov I sadly wasn't there by a DVD which includes that sequence of results the narrator of the DVD says "a packed crowd of just under 40 thousand, half up from Bristol" - my old man managed to put his scarf around Gerry Sweeney's neck after the game and he's still got it on in the celebrations afterwards!

If you count finals then we sold over 43000 for the LDV against Carlisle in Cardiff.

Considering we were shite , and at a very low point (well just starting the way back up).  The following to Chester to win promotion from the (old) fourth division was special.

One of my favorite away days, our train was turned into a 'special' , and there were more City there than Chester.

Archived