IGNORED

City's Biggest Away Attendance?

Aipearcey

Reading away (April 1984)...G*s at Eastville (FA Cup Dec 1983)....Notts County away (FA Cup Jan 1984)...all big followings...

Notts County were in the Top League then. I remember that me and loads of my mates were in the home end (as was our want, at the time) . One County fans took one look at the away end which was a large packed terrace ,then and said "**** me, that's more than United or Villa brought "!

Notts County were in the Top League then. I remember that me and loads of my mates were in the home end (as was our want, at the time) . One County fans took one look at the away end which was a large packed terrace ,then and said "**** me, that's more than United or Villa brought "!

Was at that game ,dont think the Notts County fans or the Old Bill could believe a 4 th Division side could bring so many fans .Robbed as well ,the ref missed a blatant foul on Tom Ritchie by their keeper.Correct me if I,m wrong about Ritchie playing then ,long time ago

Was at that game ,dont think the Notts County fans or the Old Bill could believe a 4 th Division side could bring so many fans .Robbed as well ,the ref missed a blatant foul on Tom Ritchie by their keeper.Correct me if I,m wrong about Ritchie playing then ,long time ago

Deffo did, my mate was on tele (local news) running on the pitch to mom TR .

Paul Mardon scores and my brother and I, mid way along one of the stands right at the touchline, bounced so hard that I caught my new cords on the wall and tore a mighty hole in my backside. In spite of that own goal gaff by Fender Pender I walked back to the car with a proud gash in my behind. What a night that was. Like others have said that was an away day never to be forgotten.

The other one that probably sticks out for me is the away win at Chester's old ground when we secured promotion. if i am not mistaken Chester went up that season as well?.. along with York and Donny i think. Pitch invasions never tasted so sweet.

Has there ever been a match where we sent no fans or just 1 person?

I dragged my girlfriends brother to a game at Lincoln in the 80s which turned out to be a 1-1 draw - very cold and snowy might have been over Christmas/New Year. At kick off there must have been 50 fans on the away terrace trying to make a noise - I remember Tony Harling was one of them! Kept trying to tell my mate that this was really unusual. After about 10 minutes I saw a load of coaches arrive and all our fans running across some park to get in - normal service was resumed!

Paul Mardon scores and my brother and I, mid way along one of the stands right at the touchline, bounced so hard that I caught my new cords on the wall and tore a mighty hole in my backside. In spite of that own goal gaff by Fender Pender I walked back to the car with a proud gash in my behind. What a night that was. Like others have said that was an away day never to be forgotten.

The other one that probably sticks out for me is the away win at Chester's old ground when we secured promotion. if i am not mistaken Chester went up that season as well?.. along with York and Donny i think. Pitch invasions never tasted so sweet.

Hmmm...I think you might want to rephrase this....

and I don't mean to ... "a prowed gash..."!!!!

Yeh remember the Chester game, we only needed a point to secure promotion. Thousands of us up there. The pitch invasion was inevitable as the they only had chicken wire around their perimiter with Cheshire's finest waiting on the other side to pick people off. By the way, I believe Chester finished bottom that season.

Ref didn't miss it, it was to make up for City's equaliser when their keeper got a head injury but the goal stood..I remember Martin O'Neill was playing for County and there was crowd trouble v Police...

no ones mentioned Plymouth?

but weve took loads down there, remember a huge following when we went up under ward.

shit performance that day and a 2.0 defeat.

Was that the one where a train full were turned back by the OB. I think they decided enough was enough .

I was at Northampton, 1961 or 62 on a Monday night for a 1-0 win scored by Shadow Williams and also a Monday night at Southend, cannot remember score, when it is possible I was the only one there. No supporters coach and didn't see any other City fans.

For the Southend game, I went by train with Fred Ford to London and he suggested as I was on holiday that week to go to Tottenham when we got into London and get a ticket for European Cup Spurs v Gornik of Poland. On arrival at White Hart Lane wearing a red and white scarf, I was told they had sold out. The guy in the ticket office asked why I had a red scarf and after telling him that Fred Ford had told me about the game, he came back with a ticket.

So two days later I am back in London an at the match with 68,000 Spurs fans to see the previous seasons League champions and FA Cup winners, overturn a 1-3 deficit from the first leg with an 8-1 win.

What a night and what a team Spurs had then.

no ones mentioned Plymouth?

but weve took loads down there, remember a huge following when we went up under ward.

shit performance that day and a 2.0 defeat.

Was that the one where a lad who was still pissed from his 21st the night before got in using the Albert RN tactic? He was upright but, if Plod had looked carefully, they'd have seen that his feet were off the ground.

Archived