IGNORED

City's Biggest Away Attendance?

Aipearcey

What about the 5-0 win at Swansea in 1990, didn't SuperBob get a hat-trick that night.

Think we had a sizable following. I recall a lot of slow traffic getting to the ground, but cant find any stats to back up my unreliable memory!

Edit: Just found that the attendance was only 5,857 so we couldn't have had that much of a huge away following!

Some that I remember with big support at away matches.

1957 Villa FA Cup

1967 Tottenham FA Cup at least six train loads

1976 WBA league

1976 Arsenal league

1977 Coventry reputedly 15,000

1989 Forest League cup s/f

1993 Liverpool

I don't count any mataches v Rovers away because it so close.

Been at Cardiff in the 50's with several train loads.

Also v Leicester FA Cup when Jacki played his first game.

Estimated 10.000 City went to Tottenham that year.

Considering we were shite , and at a very low point (well just starting the way back up).  The following to Chester to win promotion from the (old) fourth division was special.

One of my favorite away days, our train was turned into a 'special' , and there were more City there than Chester.

Ah the Trevor Morgan free kick, don't think I saw him take one before or since.

In recent years what about the 4.5k to reading. Scared reading so much they vowed never to give that allocation away again.

Pullis's first game. Also remembered for the Lavin red card. Some of our fans tried to run into the home end. We had to walk back to the station as they wouldn't let us on buses. Took ages. I hate that ground, middle of nowhere. 

Pullis's first game. Also remembered for the Lavin red card. Some of our fans tried to run into the home end. We had to walk back to the station as they wouldn't let us on buses. Took ages. I hate that ground, middle of nowhere. 

You're getting confused.. When we took 4,500 to Reading that was in 2009 under Johnson.. won 2-0 Adebola and an own goal

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/7883610.stm

We have taken big support to most of the midlands teams, West Brom,Brum,Leicester,Derby and both Nottingham clubs.

We have taken over 5,000 to Forest 2 or 3 times and took about 4,000 to Notts County for an FA cup tie when we were in the 4th Division.

Most of these big away followings have been when we were still shite!

Give us a successful side and they would be the norm.

89 Forest was superb.

The 1st Div away followings were great, obviously, but remember we were in the 1st Div. 1989 at Forest was us in the 3rd. And cr*p beyond measure in the league. 19 league defeats that season like 1-5 at home to Fulham, a habitually terrible January with four 0-1/0-2s in a row (a month without scoring...!) and, just after the Forest games, 0-4 to County (h). Remember it like the day before yesterday.

In amongst all that was a growing feeling of something special in the cup, the Oxford and Palace games with Ralphie Milne scoring a belter, Tranmere, then, in January beating 2nd Div Bradford at theirs (think Bug Joe is still trying to talk his way out of that booking...)

So the game v Cloughie was pretty special in a poor, poor season, hard on the heels of heartache the year before v Walsall in the play-offs.

I remember getting in to the City Ground near the corner flag and being astonished to see a full tier of City fans along the touchline as well as in the 'end'. I had to stand with one foot on the ground, on the crumbling concrete supporting the floodlight. Cracks in the floor, rubble and stones everywhere, clinging on to the fencing and some kiddies scaling the pylon itself to get a better view. There must have been more than the allocated number in there, surely?

When we scored I ended up at least 30 yards away from where I'd started, black and blue such was the (enjoyable) crush. Madness.

Exactly 2 months later? Hillsborough.

Football grounds were a disaster in those days, an absolute disgrace and Sheff Wed and Forest were two leading top division grounds, literally falling apart under our trainers. So obvious now, looking back, that Hillsborough was going to happen. It could have happened on any number of match days for any number of years previous to 15.4.89

But the City support that day was, for me, the best I've ever witnessed, despite John Pender's bloody og. The utter chaos and madness of City fans in some pub in Ashby-de-la-Zouch on the way to the ground - City fans literally hanging off the upstairs balcony of the pub - the sweaty, humid February air inside that pub as we opened the door to be greeted by absolute pandemonium and lunacy...that will stay with me forever.

As will Paul Hardon's strike. Cor blimey.

Yeah, we packed the Open End. Then as more of our lot came in late they opened up the gates to give us half of the big grandstand as well.

Much to the annoyance of Bolton's not so solid crew.

That was SUCH a bloody 'City' performance: big game, massive following...turd of a performance. Poor old Bob wasn't fit, he shouldn't have played and you just knew (if yr pessimistic like us) that we were done for (in terms of winning the title over some other non-entity team) after that defeat. 

Turns out, pessimistically, we were right.

Still p*ss*s me off, remembering that game!

Went to eastville I think it was 0-0 went to Nottingham Forrest in a cup game think about 8000 city fans there that night Coventry was over 15000 I think

Just remembered something about this game. I was with my dad and my mate and we got in quite early. I think the police were a bit surprised by our following because we started off in one little segment of the away end (pre hillsborough, lots of fencing) but they kept having to open segment after segment until we filled the end. Then when we scored we noticed that about a third of the enclosure in front of the stand to our left was celebrating too. That must have been an extra 1000 at least!

What about the 5-0 win at Swansea in 1990, didn't SuperBob get a hat-trick that night.

Think we had a sizable following. I recall a lot of slow traffic getting to the ground, but cant find any stats to back up my unreliable memory!

Edit: Just found that the attendance was only 5,857 so we couldn't have had that much of a huge away following!

It was so loud in there, it just seemed there were more inside !

89 Forest was superb.

The 1st Div away followings were great, obviously, but remember we were in the 1st Div. 1989 at Forest was us in the 3rd. And cr*p beyond measure in the league. 19 league defeats that season like 1-5 at home to Fulham, a habitually terrible January with four 0-1/0-2s in a row (a month without scoring...!) and, just after the Forest games, 0-4 to County (h). Remember it like the day before yesterday.

In amongst all that was a growing feeling of something special in the cup, the Oxford and Palace games with Ralphie Milne scoring a belter, Tranmere, then, in January beating 2nd Div Bradford at theirs (think Bug Joe is still trying to talk his way out of that booking...)

So the game v Cloughie was pretty special in a poor, poor season, hard on the heels of heartache the year before v Walsall in the play-offs.

I remember getting in to the City Ground near the corner flag and being astonished to see a full tier of City fans along the touchline as well as in the 'end'. I had to stand with one foot on the ground, on the crumbling concrete supporting the floodlight. Cracks in the floor, rubble and stones everywhere, clinging on to the fencing and some kiddies scaling the pylon itself to get a better view. There must have been more than the allocated number in there, surely?

When we scored I ended up at least 30 yards away from where I'd started, black and blue such was the (enjoyable) crush. Madness.

Exactly 2 months later? Hillsborough.

Football grounds were a disaster in those days, an absolute disgrace and Sheff Wed and Forest were two leading top division grounds, literally falling apart under our trainers. So obvious now, looking back, that Hillsborough was going to happen. It could have happened on any number of match days for any number of years previous to 15.4.89

But the City support that day was, for me, the best I've ever witnessed, despite John Pender's bloody og. The utter chaos and madness of City fans in some pub in Ashby-de-la-Zouch on the way to the ground - City fans literally hanging off the upstairs balcony of the pub - the sweaty, humid February air inside that pub as we opened the door to be greeted by absolute pandemonium and lunacy...that will stay with me forever.

As will Paul Hardon's strike. Cor blimey.

What a night that was !

Excuse my ignorance if wrong (this game before I was born) but wasn't that played in the middle of the three day week strike?

Can't have been huge numbers.

There were a lot there but as you say it was the three day week so even though I was there, I would find it difficult to hazard a guess. It was a complete full house at just over 47,000. So I will guess I will at between 2,000 and 4,000.

i remember going with my dad to QPR in the late 70's.the cats laid on free coaches and city took over 10k.

a couple of QPR fans asked if they could walk with us to the game so they felt safer!

Not quite that many , there was only 16,000 there, but there were a lot.

Our coach broke down and we had to wait for a replacement, then in the ground the Police were getting funny about bad language so the chant was changed to...

"he's here, he's there, we're not allowed to swear, Gerry Gow"

Not quite that many , there was only 16,000 there, but there were a lot.

Our coach broke down and we had to wait for a replacement, then in the ground the Police were getting funny about bad language so the chant was changed to...

"he's here, he's there, we're not allowed to swear, Gerry Gow"

Remember the coach breaking down our driver waiting as well mate got kicked out for swearing and QPR scored in the last min.

Archived