IGNORED

The Secret Footballer

Sydneybcfc

OK lets not do the debate on who he is again, if you can't work it out from his second book and the Pompey stuff then there is probably no helping you...

However and i know that I'm late to this but after reading both his books on a recent jaunt back to the UK i have to say they are essential for every football fan that can actually read (and i know all clubs have a few who act like they can't).
Assuming the contents are 100% truthful it really shows how little all our ITK posters are, football is nothing like we all think it is from the way the media and regular biographies present it.
Everything from the agents, players forcing out managers by not playing, managers excluding players, mental health and Gazza is included with a little bit of the lavish lifestyle of the rich thrown in on top.

I'm not trying to make him money, i don't care how you get hold of the book but all the other threads in the past have been about who he is (that i could find via search) not what essential reading his books are.

My 2 cents, do yourself a favour and read those books!

The Secret Footballer really does my head in. His whole shtick seems to be "you mugs who watch elite athletes like me strut our stuff haven't a clue about anything in the game". Talk about arrogant! Seems to think professional footballers are some sort of supermen.

So you just wanna save us the effort and tell us. Just seems like an adult version of where's wally to me? Instead of pictures it's words...

I'll wait till it comes out on DVD if not.

No the guessing who he is doesn't really come into it... Its not really the DVD kind of book.

The Secret Footballer really does my head in. His whole shtick seems to be "you mugs who watch elite athletes like me strut our stuff haven't a clue about anything in the game". Talk about arrogant! Seems to think professional footballers are some sort of supermen.

I didn't really get that, i thought he told it fairly but i do think we are drip fed bull from pretty much every source inside football and i would agree after reading that the majority of fans really don't have any idea what's going on in football.

Not exactly sold it to me - what is in it that makes it so worth reading?

He explains how the pompey thing was a load of bull, he was one of the player owed money and his new chairman was in the directors area when the pompey chairman stood up and joined in the derogatory singing about him. His new chairman had to tell him to sit down and have some respect.

He then told pompey he would tear up his contract but he was going to the media with exactly what happened, lets just say broke can't possible pay pompey "its all the money grabbing footballers fault" paid up what he was owed in full despite saying they couldn't afford it and were seconds from folding.

Because he talks under anonymity he talks about things in the game that other can't even in biographies. I can't explain the info in the book, he covers how the whole of modern football works. From managers who still pay bungs (without naming any), why permiership footballers get mystery illnesses that keep them out of games yet its strange you never hear of player failing recreational drugs tests.. to agents, foreign owners, racism you name it.

Its not an autobiography more of a truth (at least his truth) about the game we love.

Lutz Pfannenstiel's book "The Unstoppable Keeper" is also well worth a read. The world of club football as experienced by a journeyman player (ie not good enough for the top level, though he did travel an awful lot!)

Just googled this fella, thanks for the tip - think I'll be getting this book! Interesting career!

Try reading another book about the Football Scout...called 'The Nowhere Men'...good read.

And he would be right to some degree.

Football as a business and sport, has to be one of the least transparent their is, yet one of the most written and talked about.

Any other business would be taken down by the Authorities if it were run the same way.

It has way too much power because of the amount of people it effects and it's history.

It is also very in house. They look after themselves.

The one thing it is clever at doing, is giving just enough for the fan to keep coming back.

At the top levels of the game it is beyond comprehension...especially Chelsea.

Just from the little I know...it makes me bitter towards the game now...and yes I do often sit their at a ground or when reading a forum like this, and think 'If only you knew'...which sounds contrite and right up myself but fair and true.

For example...you only have to read of the fall out between Hodgson and Liverpool at the moment...but no one in the media ever knows what's really going on as it's kept very 'in house' and nothing definitive is ever written...it's just soundbites and if's and but's...enough to just make a story.

There is nothing in the public domain to show how each Club is actually run...people are given job titles and the odd mention here and their...but nothing is definitive...it's never transparent.

Try reading another book about the Football Scout...called 'The Nowhere Men'...good read.

And he would be right to some degree.

Football as a business and sport, has to be one of the least transparent their is, yet one of the most written and talked about.

Any other business would be taken down by the Authorities if it were run the same way.

It has way too much power because of the amount of people it effects and it's history.

It is also very in house. They look after themselves.

The one thing it is clever at doing, is giving just enough for the fan to keep coming back.

At the top levels of the game it is beyond comprehension...especially Chelsea.

Just from the little I know...it makes me bitter towards the game now...and yes I do often sit their at a ground or when reading a forum like this, and think 'If only you knew'...which sounds contrite and right up myself but fair and true.

For example...you only have to read of the fall out between Hodgson and Liverpool at the moment...but no one in the media ever knows what's really going on as it's kept very 'in house' and nothing definitive is ever written...it's just soundbites and if's and but's...enough to just make a story.

There is nothing in the public domain to show how each Club is actually run...people are given job titles and the odd mention here and their...but nothing is definitive...it's never transparent.

I'm not arguing that fans are not informed about all aspects of football. I'm arguing that he imparts this POV like a smug arsehole.

There's lots more - I picked up on it when Danny Baker interviewed him on his Saturday morning BBC show.

I subscribe to his podcast, but never actually get round to listening to it - is he as good as he ever was? If so then I really need to get back into it, him and Danny Kelly are radio gold

Said this before but If as likely it is Kitson then you might think that one of the stories might be about somebody we know well who once managed Pompey. To paraphrase:

- TSF's son gets seriously ill and TSF is given a game off

- son makes recovery to much relief

- Following week the team and TSF come off at half time having played v badly 

- Manager says to TSF that his son showed more fight last week than he did in the first half

- TSF goes ballistic, attacks manager and has to be pulled away from him.

Said this before but If as likely it is Kitson then you might think that one of the stories might be about somebody we know well who once managed Pompey. To paraphrase:

- TSF's son gets seriously ill and TSF is given a game off

- Manager says to TSF that his son showed more fight last week than he did in the first half

it's well documented that Kitson and Cotterill hate(d) each other. This would almost certainly be SC that said it, as he then goes onto say that the same manager was appointed as manager of another club in the same division, even though the club were doing badly under him at the time (when Cotts left Portsmouth for Forest). Interestingly also says in the book that manager used to genuinely think that him and the players were close mates and said that he felt ''let down'' when they had a night out without him...linking into what Cotts said on Radio Brizz the other week about missing the players when he's not with them etc..my view anyway!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/15369823

Said this before but If as likely it is Kitson then you might think that one of the stories might be about somebody we know well who once managed Pompey. To paraphrase:

- TSF's son gets seriously ill and TSF is given a game off

Wonder who that could be! I thought exactly the same

I subscribe to his podcast, but never actually get round to listening to it - is he as good as he ever was? If so then I really need to get back into it, him and Danny Kelly are radio gold

Danny Baker is always a good listen, but his current Radio 5 Saturday show is not football based, and has minimal football content, and there is no Danny Kelly.

Still a good listen as I said, just don't expect it to be football based.

Danny Baker is always a good listen, but his current Radio 5 Saturday show is not football based, and has minimal football content, and there is no Danny Kelly.

He is just a master of whimsy. In my view Radio 5 went downhill when it rebranded to Five Live, got rid of his breakfast show and just copied the Radio 4 format.

As Kelly is on talksport I guessed he wouldn't be on this too

If it's not football based then I'll probably keep swerving it then. Their old shows were fantastic

As Kelly is on talksport I guessed he wouldn't be on this too

If it's not football based then I'll probably keep swerving it then. Their old shows were fantastic

I believe there's still a website out there called Danny Baker's Treehouse. It contains a lot of recordings from his old football shows with Danny Baker. Some absolute corkers in there, my personal favourite being the scottish fan who asked his dad to make him a bow tie....

I believe there's still a website out there called Danny Baker's Treehouse. It contains a lot of recordings from his old football shows with Danny Baker. Some absolute corkers in there, my personal favourite being the scottish fan who asked his dad to make him a bow tie....

That story is legendary... :laughcont:  :laughcont:  :laughcont:  :laughcont:

Archived