IGNORED

Diving Again!

Esmond Million's Bung

When there is contact its always dodgey as you don't know if a player loses their balance or not, remember playing a few years ago, I was tackled tried staying on my feet but lost balance a few steps later, got accused of diving, but I simply lost my balance/footing.

For this I mean examples where its obvious the player hasn't been touched, not situations where contact has been made and the debate could they have stayed on their feet.

It's a cultural issue.

I saw a fascinating documentary a while back about Latino football including the Italians.

To a man they all saw cheating or 'conning the referee' as perfectly acceptable. One player said 'it's the way we are brought up as young players' and winning a penalty through diving is seen as earning that player kudos. They all dived on a regular basis.

When they played for or against British teams they experienced a real culture shock regarding the British attitude to conning the referee.

The problem is ours not theirs according to one particular player. He added that we should relax our attitude towards cheating and accept is as part of the game.

I find it strange that anybody who cares about the game can believe that 'throwing yourself to the ground' is acceptable, anywhere, anyhow or by anybody.

i

if its a foul its a pen, he had his shirt pulled which is a foul so its a pen what he did after makes him look a tit but thats by the by,

the likes of robben etc are the real problem for me,

I think robbo sums it up quite well

I find it strange that anybody who cares about the game can believe that 'throwing yourself to the ground' is acceptable, anywhere, anyhow or by anybody.

I

My point is Agard did it and it didn't get mentioned.

if its a foul its a pen, he had his shirt pulled which is a foul so its a pen what he did after makes him look a tit but thats by the by,

the likes of robben etc are the real problem for me,

I think robbo sums it up quite well

Moses threw himself to the ground because he's a foreigner? That's summing it up quite well?.

What he did was against the lawS of the game it was 'simulation' he was seeking to gain an advantage by throwing himself to the ground and it was un sportsman like conduct.

My point is Agard did it and it didn't get mentioned.

So what? a lot things don't get mentioned in life, it doesn't make them right.

Moses threw himself to the ground because he's a foreigner? That's summing it up quite well?.

What he did was against the lawS of the game it was 'simulation' he was seeking to gain an advantage by throwing himself to the ground and it was un sportsman like conduct.

So what? a lot things don't get mentioned in life, it doesn't make them right.

I agree, But some labelling Moses a cheat need to look closer to home. Was it cheating by Agard or clever?

What he did was against the lawS of the game it was 'simulation' he was seeking to gain an advantage by throwing himself to the ground and it was un sportsman like.

Moses dived no doubt and but becoming ingrained in the game in Nigeria he saw other players getting 'rewarded' by diving and winning a penalty. That said he's played in Britain long enough to appreciate that simulation over here is regarded as a disgraceful act but he still did it.

Moses dived no doubt and but becoming ingrained in the game in Nigeria he saw other players getting 'rewarded' by diving and winning a penalty. That said he's played in Britain long enough to appreciate that simulation over here is regarded as a disgraceful act but he still did it.

Was Agard's a disgraceful act as well?

The problem is it's hard to judge by video how much the contact would affect a players balance.

The Moses one is doubtful it had much effect and is probably a dive. Sometimes though the problem lies with the fact that refs don't give free kicks / penalties when a player is fouled, stays on his feet but loses the ball / is left off balanced for the shot or pass.

There has been even more of an incentive for attacking players to dive since the law changed to have defenders sent off for preventing a goalscoring opportunity.  The defending team gets punished twice - award of a penalty against them AND down to 10 men. It's no wonder we get diving - cheats prosper.

The problem is it's hard to judge by video how much the contact would affect a players balance.

The Moses one is doubtful it had much effect and is probably a dive. Sometimes though the problem lies with the fact that refs don't give free kicks / penalties when a player is fouled, stays on his feet but loses the ball / is left off balanced for the shot or pass.

This is true, but it would st least stop the "no contact" penalty. We've fallen victim to a few of those.

Archived