IGNORED

Time For Changes

Londoner

I have got absolutely no idea whether anyone should be rested or not.  I don't see them in training, I don't see the rest of the squad in training either.

I was disappointed at the way we threw away the lead twice against Bradford, I always thought it would be a tough game given their away record, but the goals we conceded were not the result of brilliant play by the opposition, they were preventable.  But I couldn't pick out a player that was obvious to rest.

I wasn't at the game in Barnsley, but they are certainly a team we should be beating, a pretty average mid-table league one team who had done their homework and raised their game against the unbeaten league leaders.  They will not be the only ones.

I suspect I am not alone in thinking this.  Football fans, for time immemorial have argued over whether the right team is being put out; admittedly less arguments when your team is on a winning run, but when results dip - and by our extremely high standards we have experienced a very minor dip.  This will lead to a discussion about the team.  So what?  Everyone is entitled to an opinion about what the team should be, let's hear it and discuss it.

My view?  Keep the same team, I like a settled team, but make subs earlier.

Can someone please qualify this "we can't go on needing to score two or three goals a game not to lose" statement? because the strategy has worked to date.

"Teams don't get promoted leaking goals like we are". Well, don't they? Someone's checked the entire history of promoted teams, have they?

Another one "teams are finding us out". Well if that's true, then they're not exactly applying their MI6 gathered intelligence very effectively are they, given that no sod's beaten us?

Lot's of these very 'wise' but unsubstantiated statements flying around at the moment.

Apart from that, in response to the OP, I would make no more than a single personnel change at a time (Cunningham for Bryan, for example) but not rock a steady ship very hard at all.

Now chill out everyone. Go and get laid or something, maybe a cheeky cognac and some Mary-Jane. A sauna followed by full-massage and whale music.....ah, you're big boys, you can work it out yourselves .................................

In Ayling we have a player who was praised for is performances in the championship last season. In Flint we have a born leader and commanding centre back. In Williams we have a promising young left sided centre back. In Smith and Elliott we have protection in midfield. And in Little and Bryan we have two wing backs full of energy who like to get up and down.

So the question is, why cant we stop conceding so many goals??!!

Personally I fill its down to individual errors. Like the marking against Bradford. The penalty against Chesterfield. Therefore I dont think changing formations or systems will make any difference.

AS with so much on here, it really does depend on how you look at things - especially stats.

So while some might say that we can't keep on having to keep scoring 2/3 gaols because we have been averaging 2 a game recently, on the other hand you could equally say t say the opposition have to keep scoring 2 just to draw, and need at least 3 to beat us.

Some say we have been papering over the cracks and that changes are need.. Others might say that the danger is that making changes breaks the continuity and creates cracks that aren't there now.

It is very easy being an armchair expert, because the decisions all of us make, as far as team selection is concerned, matter not one jot. The man who counts is SC, and his decisions make a difference to what happens n the pitch and to results. He has shown himself to be a damn sight more astute than many gave him credit for when he was first appointed and I can imagine that he is loath to tinker with things while he doesn't have to.

SC is also in a no win situation (at the same time as being in a no defeat situation, if you get my drift!) , as if he did make a change or two to address concerns raised on here, and the wheels came off, then you bet OTIB's experts would be out in force questioning his judgement and asking why he needed to mend something that wasn't broke in the first place!!

Have people not watched us play this season or is it the fact we are not now getting it all our own way people choose to complain? Not only do we play with fullbacks higher than most teams wingers but we push on our wide CB's (especially Ayling) into almost attacking full back territory and have since day one. I'm first to agree that we need to stop conceding as many but this would be at the detriment of our attacking principles. Would people swap our goals for column for a smaller goals against column? 3-2 is the same goal difference as 1-0 and no less nail biting. Occasionally we may get the odd 3-0 by going for it. That equates to a comfortable 0-0 if we decide to shut up shop.

This reminds me when people were complaining that we were just a top 10 championship side after 3 years in the 2nd tier. We will undoubtedly go though a patch when the goals will dry up. We will have a sticky patch (although if this is it i will be delighted),thats why its good to have a lead, so brace yourselves people. It won't be plain sailing all the way. We will come off top spot at some point, lets not have a melt down. Being in the top 2 in May is what counts not now, or January or March.

Personally i dont think we've got out of 3rd gear yet this season and there is much more to come. Yes, there is nothing wrong with wanting perfection. But it's unlikely you're gonna find it at league one level.

Is this thread for real? Had the internet existed 105 years ago someone would've come on suggesting we change our cup side for the final because we needed a replay and a last min pen to beat 2nd division Derby in the semi final! 

In the 1950s to 60s Atyeo wouldn't have scored 350 goals for us because whenever he went a game without hitting the back of the net some punter would demand he be rested.

3-5-2 is the way forward. 4-4-2 is old hat. 

I blame that Billy Wedlock, myself.

Yes, he is a bad influence in the dressing room as he keeps showing off all his England caps.

Actually, Willis Rippon who had bagged most of City's goals in the cup run missed the final through injury...or was it? In light of this thread I'm starting to wonder if Edwardian City fans deluged the telegraph system demanding he be rested for the Final because it's when a team is doing well that it's the best time to make changes.

Is this thread for real? Had the internet existed 105 years ago someone would've come on suggesting we change our cup side for the final because we needed a replay and a last min pen to beat 2nd division Derby in the semi final! 

In the 1950s to 60s Atyeo wouldn't have scored 350 goals for us because whenever he went a game without hitting the back of the net some punter would demand he be rested.

3-5-2 is the way forward. 4-4-2 is old hat. 

In times of crisis such as these, I can only urge Steve to think 'What would Harry Thickett do?'  So 2-3-5 it has to be. Old is the new new.

It's not about change for me, it's about concentration for a full 90 minutes. I went to the game, first half was pretty much a defensive masterclass, didn't get their forwards a sniff, we passed it around well without really troubling the goalkeeper, on the balance probably deserve the lead, then second half we collapsed, not clearing our lines, running ourselves into trouble and making rash challenges which was the reason for their penalty. I like to think we will learn from mistakes, but it's picture perfect every game, take the lead, concede a soft goal then hang on for dear life. I know we're top of the league and unbeaten but we will not go up conceding 2+ goals every game.

Funny you should say that. At one point on Tuesday I was sure we were playing 235.

I can only assume that it was young Horace's spot that 'many a true word is said in jest', Aizoon? With Ayling frequently seeming to take up the Inside Right position in our five up top it's a bloody fair shout though, on reflection.

Horace isn't the sort of bastard you wanna be accidentally sitting on, is he? just as another late night after-muse.

When I said earlier "Why is it so hard for so many people on this thread to grasp the concept that you can constructively criticise certain aspects of our performance, whilst still believing that overall we are doing very well?".....

....this was exactly the kind of post i was talking about.

You are wasting your time with some people.

I fully agree with you and others. Nothing wrong with striving to improve week in week out. Just because we are top....doesnt mean we are good enough to stay there. Why "sit back and enjoy it" when we should be looking to keep imoroving, and staying one step ahead of the pack

You are wasting your time with some people.

I fully agree with you and others. Nothing wrong with striving to improve week in week out. Just because we are top....doesnt mean we are good enough to stay there. Why "sit back and enjoy it" when we should be looking to keep imoroving, and staying one step ahead of the pack

In Other words let's always depress the hell out of ourselves. If we're bottom, middle or top let's never be happy. Never make hay while the Sun shines. Surely we contend with years, decades of disappointment so we can enjoy moments like these. I can't see what the point of football is if you're never satisfied. You are not wasting your time with some people. We simply say we are satisfied and enjoying it. You lot simply say that you are never satisfied and make a virtue out of it. As far as I'm concerned it's you lot who have the problem as you have not grasped what is the essence of life.

In Other words let's always depress the hell out of ourselves. If we're bottom, middle or top let's never be happy. Never make hay while the Sun shines. Surely we contend with years, decades of disappointment so we can enjoy moments like these. I can't see what the point of football is if you're never satisfied. You are not wasting your time with some people. We simply say we are satisfied and enjoying it. You lot simply say that you are never satisfied and make a virtue out of it. As far as I'm concerned it's you lot who have the problem as you have not grasped what is the essence of life.

Deep brother....

:facepalm:  :facepalm:

Wow....quite the rant, and could not be any further of the mark if you tried.

Am I satisfied with our start to the season? Absolutely. Am I loving it being top? Absolutely!

A successful team though, isnt one who sits back and enjoys it....its one who strives to so better every week.

The good thing is though, im fairly confident Cotts is one who will be looking to stay one step ahead of everyone. Not sit back and 'enjoy it' to much

Archived