IGNORED

Time For Changes

Londoner

Wow....quite the rant, and could not be any further of the mark if you tried.

Am I satisfied with our start to the season? Absolutely. Am I loving it being top? Absolutely!

A successful team though, isnt one who sits back and enjoys it....its one who strives to so better every week.

The good thing is though, im fairly confident Cotts is one who will be looking to stay one step ahead of everyone. Not sit back and 'enjoy it' to much

With all due respect surely you are admitting to not being satisfied as you infer that we will not be a successful team. I'm not saying the personnel will not try to become even better just that us fans should get off their backs and enjoy the moment.

With all due respect surely you are admitting to not being satisfied as you infer that we will not be a successful team. I'm not saying the personnel will not try to become even better just that us fans should get off their backs and enjoy the moment.

I dont know if we will be a successful team. We have 30 games left.

Its my opinion. I may be right, I may be wrong. My opinion is we look sloppy at the back....and we are conceding far to many goals.

Am I enjoying the ride? In loving it. This season has been brilliant.

I just want us to remain proactive.....and not have to be 'reactive'.

Its my opinion. I may be right, I may be wrong. My opinion is we look sloppy at the back....and we are conceding far to many goals.

Jolly G. It's great that we can express our opinions. If everyone was the same every team would have the same points and goal difference etc. The important thing is to maintain a stiff upper lip. We are after all ENGLISHMEN born under the same sun. We need to keep our worries about any loss of form to ourselves because it's dog eat dog in league one and if a dog like PNE get the slightest whiff that we have our doubts they will tear us apart. Best to Lord it over them and let them do the shaking in their boots stuff.

I feel the same as you.

And those who are against any discussion should remember that football is all about opinions that vary from club to club and supporter to supporter.

All we are doing on this "social media" site is airing our hopes, dreams and fears about a love of our life that bonds us all together.

Now we write down our thoughts for others who we don't know personally to see and comment on.

Is that any different to how it was when I were a lad? We travelled to Ashton Gate by bus and/or train and I listened to and joined in many a discussion about individual players, team and tactics with anyone and everyone.

No harm intended or done then or now. Just that for most of us on here, while we have other interests, this is a life's labour of love.

Why is it so hard for so many people on this thread to grasp the concept that you can constructively criticise certain aspects of our performance, whilst still believing that overall we are doing very well?

It is absolutely right that our defensive record in recent weeks gives cause for concern. Self-congratulatory posts about our unbeaten record are not the mentality that will maintain it.

... Play to your strengths and work on your weaknesses?

What a ridiculous thread.

Makes sense to me.

The last few games will have eroded the confidence of the defence and the team as whole, whatever they say to the media.

A team without confidence won't win the league.  They need to know how to fix their problems.

Ha! I won't need to make the final mortgage payments then. #winning

Of course you won't, 'cause the pay out from your life insurance will redeem the mortgage!

Why is it so hard for so many people on this thread to grasp the concept that you can constructively criticise certain aspects of our performance, whilst still believing that overall we are doing very well?

It is absolutely right that our defensive record in recent weeks gives cause for concern. Self-congratulatory posts about our unbeaten record are not the mentality that will maintain it.

Just catching up on this thread.  I see the concept I outlined above continues to be beyond the grasp of many posters.

All the time we have been at the top of the league this year, we have been anxiously watching the teams next to us. First it was Sheff Utd, but we beat them 1st game, next it was boy wonders of Fleetwood, then it was MK Dons, after that Chesterfield and then Swindon. But all these teams have fallen by the wayside, so now according to some, it's PNE, Notts Co and what do you know, it's Sheff Utd again! Have faith. We are the team which has been at or close to the top the entire season. We are consistently good.

Well for the time being anyway.

Just catching up on this thread. I see the concept I outlined above continues to be beyond the grasp of many posters.

What would you like to happen? If its a formation change which formation would you like to see? Which players would you like to see come in and for who?

Its easy saying its not working, but the reality is, it is working, we are playing an attacking style and we will concede goals. So far we have beat off all challengers and the best they have managed is a draw.

Who's to say tinkering with the line up will shore up the defense and we continue averaging over 2 points a game? We may end up killing our attacking threat and the players may find the changes unnecessary and disruptive to an unbroken problem.

I dont share your we must look at changes view, the players look happy with the style and that has shown with the results. We will concede goals playing this way, but likewise, we are always good for a goal or two, I haven't once felt we are not going to get a result in any game with our attacking play.

What would you like to happen? If its a formation change which formation would you like to see? Which players would you like to see come in and for who?

Its easy saying its not working, but the reality is, it is working, we are playing an attacking style and we will concede goals. So far we have beat off all challengers and the best they have managed is a draw.

Who's to say tinkering with the line up will shore up the defense and we continue averaging over 2 points a game? We may end up killing our attacking threat and the players may find the changes unnecessary and disruptive to an unbroken problem.

I dont share your we must look at changes view, the players look happy with the style and that has shown with the results. We will concede goals playing this way, but likewise, we are always good for a goal or two, I haven't once felt we are not going to get a result in any game with our attacking play.

So because we don't agree with it, it's a concept beyond our understanding? Modesty a strong point then?

You've completely missed the point I was making,

The point being that anyone who expresses concern about any aspect of our performances is being dismissed in numerous posts as a 'moaner' who is never satisfied. It's perfectly possible to be absolutely delighted with our league position and thrilled with our start to the season, whilst still identifying areas for potential improvement.

I haven't suggested once that we should change the team, the tactics or the formation. I'm saying that you should be able to constructively critical without being labelled a moaner.

You've completely missed the point I was making,

The point being that anyone who expresses concern about any aspect of our performances is being dismissed in numerous posts as a 'moaner' who is never satisfied. It's perfectly possible to be absolutely delighted with our league position and thrilled with our start to the season, whilst still identifying areas for potential improvement.

I haven't suggested once that we should change the team, the tactics or the formation. I'm saying that you should be able to constructively critical without being labelled a moaner.

Then likewise you should be able to say I am more than happy with how we are playing, happy with our results, league position and happy to look at the whole season so far and not just individual games without being branded someone who is missing your point completely.

I understand your point, I just don't agree with it.

Then likewise you should be able to say I am more than happy with how we are playing, happy with our results, league position and happy to look at the whole season so far and not just individual games without being branded someone who is missing your point completely.

I also completely understand the points that the 'worriers' are mentioning.  I am concerned about the goals against column.  While this may be a simplistic way of looking at it, I believe that in the main scoring goals is more influenced by the performance of individuals than conceding goals.  Strikers can go through bad patches, losing form or just being unlucky and the goals stop coming, but if you have a leaky defence it is a more complicated thing to remedy.  It is great that all our players are scoring at the moment, but if you look at the Football Leagues last year, you will see that the teams that won automatic promotion generally conceded the fewest goals.   The most goals that was conceded by a top two club last year was 44 by S****horpe.  Liverpool conceded 50 in  38 games, but they had Suarez and Sturridge and scored 101 goals.     We have conceded 17 goals in 15 league games this season, including 13 goals in the last 7 games.  I simply do not believe that we can go on conceding an average of almost two goals a game and expect to maintain our position. 

The caller to Radio Bristol who said that you win promotion by squeezing out 1-0 wins was spot on to my mind.  That is not to say you need to do that in all games, but in the games that matter you have to be able to grind out victories.  We are doing fantastically well at the moment, but Cotterell needs to sort out why we are leaking goals at the rather alarming rate we are and do something about it fast.  We don't have a Bob Taylor this season; I don't believe anyone is going to score 35 goals for us.  If things don't go quite to plan in the next four matches, which couldn't be more challenging, then confidence may take a bit of a dip for the first time.  Any team knows that with a defence that doesn't concede goals, they have a chance.

We don't have a Bob Taylor this season; I don't believe anyone is going to score 35 goals for us.  If things don't go quite to plan in the next four matches, which couldn't be more challenging, then confidence may take a bit of a dip for the first time.  Any team knows that with a defence that doesn't concede goals, they have a chance.

True, but it is also highly unlikely that as in 89/90 our second highest scorer will get 9.

With 15 goal scorers already it seems highly probable that the current squad can share the goals around to score at least as many as that successful season.

I also completely understand the points that the 'worriers' are mentioning.  I am concerned about the goals against column.  While this may be a simplistic way of looking at it, I believe that in the main scoring goals is more influenced by the performance of individuals than conceding goals.  Strikers can go through bad patches, losing form or just being unlucky and the goals stop coming, but if you have a leaky defence it is a more complicated thing to remedy.  It is great that all our players are scoring at the moment, but if you look at the Football Leagues last year, you will see that the teams that won automatic promotion generally conceded the fewest goals.   The most goals that was conceded by a top two club last year was 44 by S****horpe.  Liverpool conceded 50 in  38 games, but they had Suarez and Sturridge and scored 101 goals.     We have conceded 17 goals in 15 league games this season, including 13 goals in the last 7 games.  I simply do not believe that we can go on conceding an average of almost two goals a game and expect to maintain our position. 

The caller to Radio Bristol who said that you win promotion by squeezing out 1-0 wins was spot on to my mind.  That is not to say you need to do that in all games, but in the games that matter you have to be able to grind out victories.  We are doing fantastically well at the moment, but Cotterell needs to sort out why we are leaking goals at the rather alarming rate we are and do something about it fast.  We don't have a Bob Taylor this season; I don't believe anyone is going to score 35 goals for us.  If things don't go quite to plan in the next four matches, which couldn't be more challenging, then confidence may take a bit of a dip for the first time.  Any team knows that with a defence that doesn't concede goals, they have a chance.

I actually heard that Twentyman caller and GT grew in my estimation for pointing out, quite forcibly, that teams averaging more than 2 points a game go up.

As said over and over, it's extremely selective to focus solely on that one statistic and be constructively critical. Also, the main cause for that statistic being as it is, is because we are scoring so many goals from all over the pitch.

Sure, SC could park the bus and we could get that statistic down but do you think we'd be top of the league now if we entered the season with that approach?

I do sympathise with guys in this moaners/constructive criticism nonsense (it's not as polarised as that) but it seems to me some seem to think it possible to make an omelette without breaking eggs.

Saw Everton on Sunday, Martinez has got them playing attacking football and scoring goals. They are conceding far more than they were under David Moyes though.

I don't think there is any difference between winning by the odd goal in 5 to winning 1 nil and I would also say that picking up 1 or 3 points when we have looked in danger of dropping them, is equally important to winning promotion.

The season we were relegated we started with 4 goal drubbings of Palace and Cardiff. We then engaged in some goalfests with Blackburn and Burnley. We were about mid table and being cast as the most entertaining team to watch in the Championship. But the statistic that we hadn't kept a clean sheet kept rearing its ugly head. Del boy then set about tinkering with the team's formation etc even just playing the goal machine Taylor up front on his own at home to Wolves in an effort to obtain that valuable clean sheet . The result, we still conceded goals but stopped scoring them. We went down without a fight. I still tend to think that had we maintained the gung ho approach we would've remained in the Championship.

Chippenham Red says he is absolutely delighted with our start. Absolute is absolute, you cannot have degrees of absolute. Surely you can't be absolutely delighted and then suggest improvements to tackle aspects you consider to be of concern!

So you don't agree that it's possible to be thrilled with our start to the season but at the same time identify areas for improvement?

Archived