IGNORED

Time For Changes

Londoner

So you don't agree that it's possible to be thrilled with our start to the season but at the same time identify areas for improvement?

I would if there was a missive from the management to say they didn't see a problem and it wasn't something they weren't worried about. But I am sure they would love to concede less goals and I am sure they are constantly working on how to improve it. As it's something I have no control over however, I can't lose any sleep over it.

The season we were relegated we started with 4 goal drubbings of Palace and Cardiff. We then engaged in some goalfests with Blackburn and Burnley. We were about mid table and being cast as the most entertaining team to watch in the Championship. But the statistic that we hadn't kept a clean sheet kept rearing its ugly head. Del boy then set about tinkering with the team's formation etc even just playing the goal machine Taylor up front on his own at home to Wolves in an effort to obtain that valuable clean sheet . The result, we still conceded goals but stopped scoring them. We went down without a fight. I still tend to think that had we maintained the gung ho approach we would've remained in the Championship.

Chippenham Red says he is absolutely delighted with our start. Absolute is absolute, you cannot have degrees of absolute. Surely you can't be absolutely delighted and then suggest improvements to tackle aspects you consider to be of concern!

I said I am absolutely delighted with our league position.  Given we're in first position I'd say 'absolute' is an entirely appropriate word.

Thats how I'm looking at it.

Its obvious that we are conceding too many but there's still over 30 games to go and plenty of time for SC to sort out the conceding goals issue - which he obviously recognises and is obviously working on it. Its obviously taking a bit of time to sort out but we'll get there I'm sure.

Obviously.

a "decent" reply there :)

Thats how I'm looking at it.

Its obvious that we are conceding too many but there's still over 30 games to go and plenty of time for SC to sort out the conceding goals issue - which he obviously recognises and is obviously working on it. Its obviously taking a bit of time to sort out but we'll get there I'm sure.

Obviously.

Sorry, but why is it obvious that we are conceding too many? We are top, unbeaten, with the best goal difference in the division. Nothing wrong with conceding two if we score three (or conceding five if we score six).

After all, our defensive record was pretty good under SOD, but that didn't make us a successful team!

I'm sure SC knows as well as anyone where we need to improve, which clearly we can do.

Where I disagree with some of the posters on this thread is this idea that improving automatically equates to changing playing personnel, whereas I don't think that always works.  We need to improve defensively as a unit and cut out errors but there's an argument that's best achieved by keeping the same defenders working as a unit.  I'd like to see Osborne in the team but I can't see who we'd drop for him as I don't think any of our defenders have been playing poorly.  And I'd argue must of the problem during GJ's final season was constant ill-considered changes to the team, regardless of if we'd lost or won.

I do think there's an argument for resting Bryan and giving Cunningham a few more games.  I also think there are signs Wilbraham and Eliiott could do with a rest but I'm not convinced JET or Pack coming in is necessarily going to improve performances.

Archived