IGNORED

Derrick Williams In Dolman Stand Attack

Between heaven and hell

He's definitely not quite been himself of late. He seems to get exposed very quickly whenever JB can't/doesn't track back. He likes a pass across the area too I've noticed which isn't a good habit to have. Good player but not sure left side of a 3 is his best position.

He was exposed a lot yesterday by Bryan.

Bryan receives the cross field pass very well...but fails continually to make himself available for a pass from Williams. His movement inside if necessary, often leads to Del having to just punt it when under pressure.

Playing with wing backs has been our strength...but it has also led to our weak points...just in behind where those wing backs need to cover.

He was exposed a lot yesterday by Bryan.

Bryan receives the cross field pass very well...but fails continually to make himself available for a pass from Williams. His movement inside if necessary, often leads to Del having to just punt it when under pressure.

Playing with wing backs has been our strength...but it has also led to our weak points...just in behind where those wing backs need to cover.

Definitely. I lost count in the second half yesterday of the number of times where Bryan received the ball and had opportunities to run at the full back, but instead turned around and played it short back to Del. He seems so reluctant to take on a man and often ends up putting a centre back under pressure.

Classic moment today when Frankie caught the ball early on in the game then launched it down field straight out for a goal kick, people started moaning at him but the bloke next to me said you can't blame him he's still in shock he's just realised he caught it!

It was a 60 yard "pass" to Joe Bryan that went about 5 yards astray.

He hit another one straight up the middle later in the first half that reached Agard who got in a shot.

It is something that they obviously practice and are encouraged to do by SC and JP. But maybe not so immediately clear to some supporters who just think it is a wild clearance.

Definitely. I lost count in the second half yesterday of the number of times where Bryan received the ball and had opportunities to run at the full back, but instead turned around and played it short back to Del. He seems so reluctant to take on a man and often ends up putting a centre back under pressure.

Really? I thought one of the weaknesses yesterday was we didn't bring Bryan into play enough. Their left side had both their nippy players, but their right flank was a lot more exposed and lots of time Joe was in space calling out for a pass, but we persisted in trying to drive it through the middle or down our right, where we'd lose possession to their pace men.

The fact that Derrick's attempts to play Joe in so often ended with the ball going out of play didn't help. Our number three just didn't have his boots on the right feet it seemed.

only time people in the dolman get off their ass. That stand is shocking for support.

Wow, patronising and disrespecting about half the club's fans in one fell swoop. Well done young man.

I'm assuming you're young, otherwise perhaps you wouldn't be quite so arrogant and naive.

Let me explain. Different people watch football matches for different reasons. A lot of us (perhaps older, perhaps wiser) like to concentrate on the game and actually see what is going on.  We don't sing much, but it doesn't make us lesser supporters  -  we stand and cheer when there is something that truly excites us.

I'm in my fifties now, but have never been one of the "singers". I am not ashamed of that, and I don't respect the singers as better fans than me.  Indeed, I often wonder how they know what has happened during a game, as they seem to be concentrating on other things - including watching and baiting the opposition fans.

Being part of a gang of fans really doesn't interest me, and never has. I don't feel the need to "belong" as you may do. Nor is my passion less than yours. No doubt the players appreciate your noise, and I agree it creates atmosphere, but don't expect me to buy into a duty to join in. I pay to watch, not to join a youth club.

Funnily enough, because I booked late this week, I wasn't in the Dolman, but behind the goal in the Atyeo, close to the Oldham fans. They've garnered a lot of praise for their ceaseless noisy support.  Indeed, until we scored, theirs was the only singing I heard. However, how did I really feel about their singing?  In truth, it was dreary and annoying. I felt it cut me of from the game itself, which often felt a long way off (I hate the view from behind the goal, and would never go there by choice).

So there you are. You stick to your views if you like - but try to understand that there are many who disagree, and actually don't necessarily respect what you think support is.

Wow, patronising and disrespecting about half the club's fans in one fell swoop. Well done young man.

I'm assuming you're young, otherwise perhaps you wouldn't be quite so arrogant and naive.

Let me explain. Different people watch football matches for different reasons. A lot of us (perhaps older, perhaps wiser) like to concentrate on the game and actually see what is going on.  We don't sing much, but it doesn't make us lesser supporters  -  we stand and cheer when there is something that truly excites us.

I'm in my fifties now, but have never been one of the "singers". I am not ashamed of that, and I don't respect the singers as better fans than me.  Indeed, I often wonder how they know what has happened during a game, as they seem to be concentrating on other things - including watching and baiting the opposition fans.

Being part of a gang of fans really doesn't interest me, and never has. I don't feel the need to "belong" as you may do. Nor is my passion less than yours. No doubt the players appreciate your noise, and I agree it creates atmosphere, but don't expect me to buy into a duty to join in. I pay to watch, not to join a youth club.

Funnily enough, because I booked late this week, I wasn't in the Dolman, but behind the goal in the Atyeo, close to the Oldham fans. They've garnered a lot of praise for their ceaseless noisy support.  Indeed, until we scored, theirs was the only singing I heard. However, how did I really feel about their singing?  In truth, it was dreary and annoying. I felt it cut me of from the game itself, which often felt a long way off (I hate the view from behind the goal, and would never go there by choice).

So there you are. You stick to your views if you like - but try to understand that there are many who disagree, and actually don't necessarily respect what you think support is.

If there was no atmosphere at football games- I wouldn't bother going. 

Perhaps you should consider watching just the highlights with the sound turned off?

Supporting a team is achieved on a number of levels and if someone doesn't wish to join in singing then , yes, it doesn't make them any less passionate but it sure as hell doesn't make them the twelfth man either.

Really? I thought one of the weaknesses yesterday was we didn't bring Bryan into play enough. Their left side had both their nippy players, but their right flank was a lot more exposed and lots of time Joe was in space calling out for a pass, but we persisted in trying to drive it through the middle or down our right, where we'd lose possession to their pace men.

The fact that Derrick's attempts to play Joe in so often ended with the ball going out of play didn't help. Our number three just didn't have his boots on the right feet it seemed.

I attended the very same match as you but apparently there was another match being played in a parallel universe where Little was crap and the Oldham fans only sang for 10 mins.

If there was no atmosphere at football games- I wouldn't bother going. 

Perhaps you should consider watching just the highlights with the sound turned off?

Supporting a team is achieved on a number of levels and if someone doesn't wish to join in singing then , yes, it doesn't make them any less passionate but it sure as hell doesn't make them the twelfth man either.

No, I like atmosphere. But true atmosphere usually comes from the buzz of excitement created by good football - and we all contribute to that. It's spontaneous. When that happens, we all shout, cheer and clap.

Just occasionally, like "You'll never walk alone" on the Kop, you'll get great atmosphere created by singing, but not very often. The monotonous drone of the Oldham fans singing one line over and over again wasn't atmosphere, and it wasn't admirable,  it was just irritating. I'm just making the point - as devil's advocate really - that the commonly accepted kudos for the "singing section" of fans is way overdone, and its usually just self congratulation anyway. The whole East End thing was overblown because of the acoustics - no doubt it sounded great under that low roof, but often it could hardly be heard outside.

I certainly take offence at the "shocking support" jibe for the Dolman as a whole. A few lads singing average songs weakly aren't better fans than the rest of us and they don't contribute that much to the atmosphere..

No, I like atmosphere. But true atmosphere usually comes from the buzz of excitement created by good football - and we all contribute to that. It's spontaneous. When that happens, we all shout, cheer and clap.

Just occasionally, like "You'll never walk alone" on the Kop, you'll get great atmosphere created by singing, but not very often. The monotonous drone of the Oldham fans singing one line over and over again wasn't atmosphere, and it wasn't admirable, it was just irritating. I'm just making the point - as devil's advocate really - that the commonly accepted kudos for the "singing section" of fans is way overdone, and its usually just self congratulation anyway. The whole East End thing was overblown because of the acoustics - no doubt it sounded great under that low roof, but often it could hardly be heard outside.

I certainly take offence at the "shocking support" jibe for the Dolman as a whole. A few lads singing average songs weakly aren't better fans than the rest of us and they don't contribute that much to the atmosphere..

Well said. The dreary noise from the Oldham fans reminded me of wailing relatives of the deceased at a funeral I attended when living in Portugal. If their fans think that such a droning noise actually encourages the team, I think they may be sadly mistaken.

I believe the atmosphere this season is tons better than the last five seasons because we have a team playing entertaining joined up football.

I sit in the dolman I also cheer and clap and get behind the team even when we are struggling but a lot of city fans that sit in the dolman are in their sixties,seventies and eighties and to be honest they don't sing but they do get behind the team.Oh and btw I never leave early I always wait until the stand is cleared before leaving !!

Archived