IGNORED

We Are A Big Fish

Major Isewater

It cannot be denied that we are a big fish ,a sort of red tuna, in this division but when we go up to the championship we are small fry .

I pose the question would you prefer "success" as a big club in this division or would you accept the struggle in the Championship year after year ?

Ideally for me i want us to go up and push on which is something we've not managed to do sucessfully in the past .

Perhaps with the ground development this time we could compete with the other shoals.

Wass think ?

Interesting. I read the Star yesterday (No, of course I didn't buy it, it was in the caff). There was not a single word about Sarfamtn on the back five pages, despite their being second. I suspect it would be the same for us. It;s all about the Big Clubs, defined by money not by performance.

PS The centre spread was all about hedgehogs, which I found mildly surprising!

There are bigger clubs in this Division than you lot Sheffield Utd for a start. Like most teams when your doing ok you get bigger crowds and you started well this season so a blip still to come and it will I remember Leeds not so long ago were well ahead in the league and then went on a run where they were losing points all over the place. At the moment you are all content a long way to go but no doubt you will be top 6 but lets see what happens a bit more into the season.

Historically we've been a third division club with brief flirtations into higher divisions. Time to maybe readdress that but at the moment we are where we've typically always been.

There are bigger clubs in this Division than you lot Sheffield Utd for a start. Like most teams when your doing ok you get bigger crowds and you started well this season so a blip still to come and it will I remember Leeds not so long ago were well ahead in the league and then went on a run where they were losing points all over the place. At the moment you are all content a long way to go but no doubt you will be top 6 but lets see what happens a bit more into the season.

You call yourself Bilko,but being a swindle fan I keep getting a mental picture of you looking more like private Doberman.

Not run the numbers, but in my years I am sure it would be roughly 50/50 in this league and the one above, with the odd brief visit above and below.

We are often a bigger fish in this league, but rarely the biggest. Equally, we often finish top half, play offs etc. It is not without its excitement. However the standard of football to watch is that bit better in the league above.

I have always wanted us to be an established confident Championship side and would be well pleased with that. Thinking higher, I am convinced the journey to the premier promised land would be much more fun than arriving at the destination.

It cannot be denied that we are a big fish ,a sort of red tuna, in this division but when we go up to the championship we are small fry .

I pose the question would you prefer "success" as a big club in this division or would you accept the struggle in the Championship year after year ?

Ideally for me i want us to go up and push on which is something we've not managed to do sucessfully in the past .

Perhaps with the ground development this time we could compete with the other shoals.

Wass think ?

No question want to be in as a high a division as we can be.

Also we did 'push on' in the first season back in the Championship last time... remember! 

If (and it's still a big if) we do go up this season then it will be harder to repeat the first season up success this time because there are now more clubs in the championship getting big ex-premier league pay-outs, but there again just look at how well Bournemouth are doing...

This question has come up before, but I think it is valid as things are changing beiind the scenes now. Two things will help us to increase in size in the Championship. The improved ground will facilitate larger crowds and greater income and the Academy status will mean we can attract better youth players to bring through the ranks. 

So in answer to the question I would always say, lets strife to be the best we can at the highest level possible, rather than stagnating at this level being shot at by the minnows of the lower leagues.

Our last spell in the championship lasted six years.. For the first two and a half years we competed well but I think eventually our lack of resources/ facilities compared to other championship clubs started to catch up with us..l as well as poor decision making on appointing managers and players. Landsdown gambled on the like of Sno, Hartley, Saborio etc and it didnt pay off. Thus for the last 3 years of our stay, we had to tighten our ship and we struggled under Millen and McInnes before being relegated.

Should we get back up, this time we can hope that

A: we've learned our lesson and can be more shrewd with our signings, and

B: our new facilities enable us to compete better with teams like Forest, Ipswich, Wolves etc.

I think we've got a pretty bright future ahead of us!

We're a massive club compared to your shitty ramshackle club... I feel for u pal

It's all about entertainment and enjoyment.

Wages will go up, but crowds will drop and the morale of club and fans will plummet if we're struggling in the Championship again.

Recent history shows us that watching a 'better standard of football' won't be enough to keep the crowds coming in if the club stops entertaining and winning matches - we go to AG to see City hopefully score goals and win the game, not to marvel at the opposition knocking 4 past us and a couple of thousand away fans having a great day out.

The club needs to be in a position to compete, entertain, and win games - especially at home - at a higher level to keep a buzz around the club or promotion can be a poisoned chalice.

That's not really the point AtB was making. He (she?) is laying out the historical path we have taken whereby when we get into a position of strength - money, players, ground or a combo of them - we don't capitalise. The 50s and 60s with Atyeo; the 90s with Bob Taylor, Andy Cole and Jacki Dziekanowski; the Johnson/Hull episode. Only once have we made the most of what we had, in the late 70s, and then we blew that, too, literally.

The post isn't about look at us this season. It has a wider angle than that. It's looking at how we have historically yo-yoed between the 2nd and 3rd tiers of English football and not found stability or thrust to take it further when in the former.

For debate about this season, see other posts.

Was a Swindon Town's fan opinion actually wanted by anyone? I think not..

Are we a big fish in League One?

There are six teams in this div who have been in the Premier League relatively recently and others who have had much more success than us - eg Preston who have won all four divisions as champions.

What exactly is the definition of a big fish?

Surely the ex Prem clubs with their parachute payments should be considered bigger fish than us?!

I just think we are having a bl**dy good season for a change and punching above our recent weight....

Historically we've been a third division club with brief flirtations into higher divisions. Time to maybe readdress that but at the moment we are where we've typically always been.

Over a longer span, I'd see us as second / third marginals.

I don't know why you think this, check the history books Tom. In the last 102 years we've played at the second tier 47 times, the first tier 9 times, the third tier 44 times and the fourth tier twice. That puts us in the second tier. In the last 49 years that I've been following the club, we've been in the second tier for 24 years, 19 in the third, 4 in the first and 2 in the fourth, so still many more years in the top two divisions. Perhaps you've been reading Rovers history by mistake, or their propaganda, in which they've always been the bigger club.

This is a great site to check history and average attendances.  http://www.european-football-statistics.co.uk/attnclub/bric.htm

The way I see it is, that we are a relatively big club but operate in 'waves' so to speak. I.e. when we're big, we can compete with a range of Championship clubs for fan base and on the field achievements. But we can't maintain it and so when that wave falls, so do we.

Now, the foundations being put in place by the club (signing generally younger players with either resale value or potential to develop and earn long term contracts or signing elder players that have the experience necessary to do a job and help develop our younger lads) and Bristol Sport (in house merchandising, the stadium revamp) are helping to ensure that when we return to the second tier we are able to maintain ourselves there and not fall from grace. A better stadium will increase revenue, which in turn will add to our financial clout and help us secure better players, scouts and coaches etc.

There's a bright future ahead for the club, just got to be patient in the short term.

Archived