IGNORED

We Are A Big Fish

Major Isewater

Are we a big fish in League One?

There are six teams in this div who have been in the Premier League relatively recently and others who have had much more success than us - eg Preston who have won all four divisions as champions.

What exactly is the definition of a big fish?

Surely the ex Prem clubs with their parachute payments should be considered bigger fish than us?!

I just think we are having a bl**dy good season for a change and punching above our recent weight....

For nearly every season we've been I this wretched league we are always one of the favourites to go up, I suggest the bookies think we're to big for this league!!

I think we are a big fish this season, but I think it is more to do with the amount of "no mark teams" in this division more than anything else.

In previous seasons when the likes of Leeds, Charlton, Norwich and Southampton were all in this division I certainly wouldn't have considered us a big fish and I doubt supporters of other clubs would of. (I realise we were the division above at the time but the point stands)

It wouldn't surprise me if the amount of supporters of other clubs who now consider us a big fish only do because of their respective managers bleating on about the difference in resources after we have extended our unbeaten run against them. I notice it wasn't a problem last year, 

That's not really the point AtB was making. He (she?) is laying out the historical path we have taken whereby when we get into a position of strength - money, players, ground or a combo of them - we don't capitalise. The 50s and 60s with Atyeo; the 90s with Bob Taylor, Andy Cole and Jacki Dziekanowski; the Johnson/Hull episode. Only once have we made the most of what we had, in the late 70s, and then we blew that, too, literally.

The post isn't about look at us this season. It has a wider angle than that. It's looking at how we have historically yo-yoed between the 2nd and 3rd tiers of English football and not found stability or thrust to take it further when in the former.

For debate about this season, see other posts.

That, sir or madam, is terrifyingly accurate.

There are bigger clubs in this Division than you lot Sheffield Utd for a start. Like most teams when your doing ok you get bigger crowds and you started well this season so a blip still to come and it will I remember Leeds not so long ago were well ahead in the league and then went on a run where they were losing points all over the place. At the moment you are all content a long way to go but no doubt you will be top 6 but lets see what happens a bit more into the season.

.... and breathe.

I see no reason with the redevelopment and Lansdown's financial clout why we should not be challenging for the premiere in the years ahead. If Swansea Burnley Watford Hull etc can do it why shouldn't we?

Absolutely true, we have the building blocks, we need a decent bricklayer to use them, perhaps SC is that man.

There is no doubt that behind the scenes City are getting their act together (Swindon tickets excluded of course), but it's on the pitch that counts and to be where we are today must be well in advance of what was expected when SC arrived.

There are bigger clubs in this Division than you lot Sheffield Utd for a start. Like most teams when your doing ok you get bigger crowds and you started well this season so a blip still to come and it will I remember Leeds not so long ago were well ahead in the league and then went on a run where they were losing points all over the place. At the moment you are all content a long way to go but no doubt you will be top 6 but lets see what happens a bit more into the season.

Shef Utd, yep that's fair. Anyone else? Really, anyone that you could truly say were bigger?

Preston? Yourselves? I think you'd find consensus split there.

The op is spot on we are a big club for this league, fact. Yet we are only 1 promotion away from being lower middle.

What that says for you and the rest of the clubs in this division, if promoted, I daren't think.

No matter how you look at it we are a big fish in a small pond (just as Wolves were) largely because of Steve Lansdowns financial support. Our resources are the envy of many other clubs in League 1.

Promotion into the Championship changes that. We'll become a much smaller fis in a medium size pond and SL will have to dig deeper into his pockets to help us stay there.

Much as like and rate Cotterill it may turn out that he won't the manager this time next year should City win promotion.

I went to watch Villa - Spurs on Sunday with my Villa supporting cousins, we were having the chat about how well City are doing, and whether we'll go up etc etc

I said that we are we were normally have been during my time supporting the club, an average to good Division 3 team. I'm comfy, but Championship is where we need to be, striving to improve and pushing for the big time

I see no reason with the redevelopment and Lansdown's financial clout why we should not be challenging for the premiere in the years ahead. If Swansea Burnley Watford Hull etc can do it why shouldn't we?

Because he has been trying for well over a decade and we are still in L1...

The redevelopment is a great thing but we couldn't fill AG and when things got bad, it was nearly half empty at times and I worry it will happen again. Not sure what kind of attendances we'll get when the capacity is increased and ready.

Are we a big fish in League One?

There are six teams in this div who have been in the Premier League relatively recently and others who have had much more success than us - eg Preston who have won all four divisions as champions.

What exactly is the definition of a big fish?

Surely the ex Prem clubs with their parachute payments should be considered bigger fish than us?!

I just think we are having a bl**dy good season for a change and punching above our recent weight....

I am slightly confused as to who these 'six teams' might be.

I can accept, in no particular order, Swindon?, Sheffield UTD, Barnsley, Bradford City and Coventry, but who is the sixth team?

1. Sean O'Driscoll: "Bristol City are not a small fish in the Championship" August 2013, The Bountyhunter fanzine (ahem, apologies,hetceterah). Note: that's the Championship! not L1.

2: Polly Jean Harvey: "Big fish, little fish, swimming in the water/ come back here, man, gimme my daughter" Down by the water, 1995, from the album To My Bring You My Love.

Gimme Polly any day of the week! 

According to that 'how big is your football club website', Barnsley, Preston, Sheffield Utd and Notts County are all 'bigger fish' than us.

Despite some top flight action in the last 20 years, Oldham Swindon and Bradford are below us.

City are comfortably the biggest club in the region (according to that website), which doesn't mean **** all in the grand scheme of things but still gives me a sense of pride anyway.

Archived