IGNORED

We Are A Big Fish

Major Isewater

Oldham (#54)

I think they also reached the league cup final (as was) around that time as well.

If memory serves they came very close to beating Manchester United in an FA cup semi final- Think Mark Hughes may have got a last minute equaliser for Man United, who then thrashed them in the replay.

If memory serves they came very close to beating Manchester United in an FA cup semi final- Think Mark Hughes may have got a last minute equaliser for Man United, who then thrashed them in the replay.

They played on a contraversial artificial pitch but had some good players like Andy Ritchie ,Sean McCarthy ,Graeme Sharp ...

Ruffled a few feathers did Oldham .

Yes, I remember that game...I think.

Wasn't it played at Maine Road?

I used to love semi final day as they'd show both games live on the BBC one after another.

They played on a contraversial artificial pitch but had some good players like Andy Ritchie ,Sean McCarthy ,Graeme Sharp ...

Ruffled a few feathers did Oldham .

Someone mentioned the pitch to me the other day for some reason. Was it the last time an artificial pitch was used in the top flight or something?

Yes, I remember that game...I think.

Wasn't it played at Maine Road?

I used to love semi final day as they'd show both games live on the BBC one after another.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it may have been at Wembley. Didn't the FA first try the idea of all the semi finals being played there around this time?

Edit: googled it (not sure why I didn't think to do this originally) and the game was at Wembley.

OK, Many Thanks All, but I think we are digressing.

The point of my original post was to establish simply who were the 'six teams in this div who have been in the Premier League relatively recently and others who have had much more success than us - eg Preston who have won all four divisions as champions'.

I am still none the wiser, although I do thank you all for bringing back wonderful memories of Palace (Bright & Wright), Sorry, and Oldham (Andy Ritchie).

Archived