IGNORED

GrahamC

6,300 with over 300 away fans,

second v third!

How embarassing is that.

They really are a tin pot club.

With that small amount of cash trickling in no wonder they're struggling for dosh.

It just goes to prove that the people of swindon don't want a football club, they'd rather have a roundabout or a few extra windows to lick.

6,300 with over 300 away fans,

second v third!

How embarassing is that.

They really are a tin pot club.

With that small amount of cash trickling in no wonder they're struggling for dosh.

It just goes to prove that the people of swindon don't want a football club, they'd rather have a roundabout or a few extra windows to lick.

Good turn out from Preston on a Tuesday night.. but nothing excuses that Swindle attendance..

How times change.

I remember Swindon v City in the early 70s with an attendance of around 17000 at the County Ground.

and several trainfuls of city window shopping for hours before kick off....didnt the gates get torn down one year about three hours before kick off ?....could be wrong mind,

How times change.

I remember Swindon v City in the early 70s with an attendance of around 17000 at the County Ground.

I expect it won't be far off that when we play them in just over a week. City will take about 2.5k more than PNE which assuming the same number of home fans takes the attendance up to 9k. However, in reality there are likely to be many more home fans - yesterday Swindon had sold more tickets for the game against us than for the game against PNE that evening.

I hate to be devil's advocate here but given that the population of Swindon is around 210,000 and the population of Bristol is 500,000 plus, their gates seem roughly proportionate to ours.

Two football club, albeit one non-league as of 7 months ago, city. Plus other sports clubs to attract the populus such as rugby and cricket, means that no, there is nothing proportionate there.

I hate to be devil's advocate here but given that the population of Swindon is around 210,000 and the population of Bristol is 500,000 plus, their gates seem roughly proportionate to ours.

Any Gashead will tell you that every other week when we are at home at least half the population of Bristol are in a park somewhere watching Rovers play some pub team. Their gates are proportionate to the Gas, not us.

Nonsense! We have a reduced capacity making it difficult or off putting for people to get tickets.

Sold out every game, when I'm sure we would be getting nearer 14-15k each game, plus a 2 City team (albeit the 2nd being non league at present) mean almost 20,000 in regular attendance in Bristol.

Nonsense! We have a reduced capacity making it difficult or off putting for people to get tickets.

Sold out every game, when I'm sure we would be getting nearer 14-15k each game, plus a 2 City team (albeit the 2nd being non league at present) mean almost 20,000 in regular attendance in Bristol.

I get your point, but I still feel uncomfortable about us knocking other team's attendances when I feel we really should be doing better than we do (as we used to do when I was growing up).  I can only hope to be able to look forward to seeing a regular 25k gate in the redeveloped stadium.

and several trainfuls of city window shopping for hours before kick off....didnt the gates get torn down one year about three hours before kick off ?....could be wrong mind,

I think we were there at the same match.

Numerous train passengers being marched by Plod through the town centre and remaining patient until M&S. And then, all hell let loose!

I remember (stories of?) people charging through M&S and everything being overturned. I also remember elderly shoppers (mainly female) being comforted and helped up by the same rampaging mob, i.e. just high spirits and nothing personal.

I remain convinced, however, that, had Plod's attitude been less confrontational, the afternoon would have passed off more peacefully - although the gang of so-called Millwall supporters at the back of the ground did not help matters, and I believe you are correct that the gates suffered some damage thus allowing hundreds to enter without paying. 

Archived