IGNORED

Stuart Pearce ,top Manager Or Not ?

Major Isewater

Except he was up against the Spainish, Germans, Dutch, Italians. Many of their U 21s are in their squads now. Ours are not

Slightly different but I spend quite a lot of time in Holland for work and it's really not that different to here and is tiny in comparison.

How come for decades have they produced much better footballers than us???

Except he was up against the Spainish, Germans, Dutch, Italians. Many of their U 21s are in their squads now. Ours are not

And was sacked after losing all 3 group games in his last tournament against Italy, Norway and Israel. Scary footballing powers there. 

Squads for Italy, lost 1-0. 

England U21: Butland, Clyne, Dawson, Caulker, Robinson, Henderson, Lowe, Redmond, Shelvey, Sordell, Wickham. Subs: Steele, Smith, Wisdom, Lees, Chalobah, McEachran, Zaha, Lansbury, Delfouneso, Rudd.

Italy U21: Bardi, Donati, Bianchetti, Caldirola, Biraghi, Florenzi, Marrone, Verratti, Insigne, Borini, Immobile. Subs: Colombi, Capuano, Gabbiadini, Destro, Sansone, Bertolacci, Paloschi, Saponara, Regini, Rossi, Crimi, Leali.

I've come to the conclusion, that being a good manager depends on time and circumstance at a Club, and whether it fits with the managers style and what turmoil, or not, is going behind the scenes.

There are so many managers that do good jobs at one Club then 'fail' miserably elsewhere...it doesn't mean they are a bad manager though. Just depends on the 'fit' and timing.

Examples... Moyes at Everton...then Man Utd.

VG at Utd...previously good elsewhere.

Even are own SC...who would have thought from his previous record he would be doing what he is here now.

GJ with us...now look at Yeovil.

Bournemouth doing what GJ did with us...it's swings and roundabouts.

It's definitely a lottery...

As for Pearce...I'm not a fan of bringing old players back as managers....unless they were only at the club a short period of time.

And was sacked after losing all 3 group games in his last tournament against Italy, Norway and Israel. Scary footballing powers there. 

Squads for Italy, lost 1-0. 

England U21: Butland, Clyne, Dawson, Caulker, Robinson, Henderson, Lowe, Redmond, Shelvey, Sordell, Wickham. Subs: Steele, Smith, Wisdom, Lees, Chalobah, McEachran, Zaha, Lansbury, Delfouneso, Rudd.

Italy U21: Bardi, Donati, Bianchetti, Caldirola, Biraghi, Florenzi, Marrone, Verratti, Insigne, Borini, Immobile. Subs: Colombi, Capuano, Gabbiadini, Destro, Sansone, Bertolacci, Paloschi, Saponara, Regini, Rossi, Crimi, Leali.

Some quality players in that Italian line-up - Verratti, Insigne, Borini, Immobile... all very talented. England had Connor Wickham and Marvin Sordell up front...

Can't argue about the defeats to Israel and Norway though!

Sad to say, but I agree with most of the posters - he's a poor manager and he won't last long at Forest.

Some quality players in that Italian line-up - Verratti, Insigne, Borini, Immobile... all very talented. England had Connor Wickham and Marvin Sordell up front...

Can't argue about the defeats to Israel and Norway though!

Sad to say, but I agree with most of the posters - he's a poor manager and he won't last long at Forest.

Did you mean to include Borini in there? 

Fair point, but we had a pretty solid defense and some Prem regulars in midfield. 

I've come to the conclusion, that being a good manager depends on time and circumstance at a Club, and whether it fits with the managers style and what turmoil, or not, is going behind the scenes.

There are so many managers that do good jobs at one Club then 'fail' miserably elsewhere...it doesn't mean they are a bad manager though. Just depends on the 'fit' and timing.

Examples... Moyes at Everton...then Man Utd.

VG at Utd...previously good elsewhere.

Even are own SC...who would have thought from his previous record he would be doing what he is here now.

GJ with us...now look at Yeovil.

Bournemouth doing what GJ did with us...it's swings and roundabouts.

It's definitely a lottery...

As for Pearce...I'm not a fan of bringing old players back as managers....unless they were only at the club a short period of time.

I couldn't agree more.

It's ,imo, just a case of right time/right place. Football is littered with examples of Managers who are world beaters at one club and move on to be abject failures at another.

BCFC had had so many poor managers that eventually with SL's continued backing- someone was going to come good . I don't believe for one second that SC would have made such a success elsewhere which is primarily why he was just part of HR's coaching staff and effectively out of a job.

I think it's easier with footballers in that there are less variables. When SC was appointed I was neither pleased nor disappointed because I always felt that eventually SL would ( with the planets correctly aligned) pick a winner and this would always be more chance and circumstance than shrewd selection.

SC has done brilliantly and is probably smart enough to know when he's got the best job he's ever likely to have.

Archived