IGNORED

Weekend Away - Ideas Please..

Big Red Rich

If you're happy to spend a bit of travelling time driving instead, I cant recommend Bruges enough. Only about a 45 minute drive from Calais so door to door travel time probably not much worse than a flight somewhere in Europe depending how far afield you wanted to go.

Alternatively you could Eurostar to Brussels and make your way from there without a car.

It's really a fantastic place.

Cheers guys appreciate all the responses thus far. We got engaged in Edinburgh over 7 years ago so thinking it might be nice to return. Reference a spa, good idea if she's on her own but I'm not into that. Marrakech is a great idea but max flight time I want to keep to 2-2.5 hours ideally. How expensive is Barcelona for food & drink etc?

Cheers guys appreciate all the responses thus far. We got engaged in Edinburgh over 7 years ago so thinking it might be nice to return. Reference a spa, good idea if she's on her own but I'm not into that. Marrakech is a great idea but max flight time I want to keep to 2-2.5 hours ideally. How expensive is Barcelona for food & drink etc?

About Spanish average I'd say. Slightly cheaper than a night out in the UK.

Congrats mate! Marrakech isn't really a good place to go and "chill out", it's hectic.

Barca is a good shout, make sure you fly to the main airport as a couple of them (like Girona) are over an hour away from the city.

I would also put Valencia into the mix (ryanair from Bristol) which is a fantastic Spanish city. Krakow is also great and cheap, but will be damn cold if you go in the winter. Also, you can't go wrong with any German city - Munich, Hamburg, Berlin all fly from Bristol and are excellent destinations for site-seeing and beer quaffing!

Bristol flies to ljubljana. Lovely city with Austrian, Italian and slavic influences while being cheap. Its just south of the Alps and you can take a day trip to the gorgeous Lake Bled. Although after saying that I'm not sure if they actually fly direct, which is probably what you don't want.

Bristol doesn't fly Ljubliana, which is a shame as it's a lovely little city.

Zurich is a nice place too. However, you might want to take twice as much money as you would to any of the other destinations mentioned on here!

Switzerland is probably the country i'm most jealous of. Everything is so clean and efficient and good. You almost feel healthier just walking around.

My wife knows a Baracelonian, if that's right, pretty cheap if you go to the right places but those catalans love to eat late

My wife knows a Baracelonian, if that's right, pretty cheap if you go to the right places but those catalans love to eat late

As do all spaniards.

I recall being at a restaurant drinking cider. You weren't allowed to pour your own, the waiter had to do it while holding the bottle as high as he could with his right hand, and the glass as low as he could with his left. Quite strange, but apparently that was the done thing to carbonate it, spilt a little though.

Anyone experienced similar?

Another vote for Bruges, can do a canal tour to save some walking.

I would also say Paris, trip on the river (remember she probably won't want to do much walking), Metro and funicular to the top of Montmartre, evening meal on Bateau Le Calife, padlock on the Pont des Arts.

Although if you got engaged in Edinburgh sounds the romantic winner.....................

As do all spaniards.

I recall being at a restaurant drinking cider. You weren't allowed to pour your own, the waiter had to do it while holding the bottle as high as he could with his right hand, and the glass as low as he could with his left. Quite strange, but apparently that was the done thing to carbonate it, spilt a little though.

Anyone experienced similar?

It is a northern Spanish thing, Asturias.  Trouble is when they spill a little, it hits the floor pretty hard and splashes on your trousers, legs, shoes whatever.  They do it behind their back which makes it even more of a nightmare, especially when it is pretty obvious they have been sampling a bottle themselves!

Still, what the heck, you're on holiday!

Barcalona maybe Dubrovnik how about somewhere like reykjavik, very chilled place hot springs and the like. Pretty cool place to go, on my must do list

PS sorry missed the fly from bristol not. Not sure you can fly to Iceland direct

Archived