IGNORED

Weekend Away - Ideas Please..

Big Red Rich

Barcalona maybe Dubrovnik how about somewhere like reykjavik, very chilled place hot springs and the like. Pretty cool place to go, on my must do list

PS sorry missed the fly from bristol not. Not sure you can fly to Iceland direct

By the looks of things you can but flights are too expensive on the dates I want to go. I've narrowed it down to Barcelona and Edinburgh. Pushing towards Edinburgh and getting some decent groupon deals for fine dining etc.

By the looks of things you can but flights are too expensive on the dates I want to go. I've narrowed it down to Barcelona and Edinburgh. Pushing towards Edinburgh and getting some decent groupon deals for fine dining etc.

Good luck wherever you go. You have two good choices there

Edinburgh. I love this City.

Edinburgh Airport is approx 20/25 mins from the city centre (give or take traffic).

And you don't need to change your cash into Euros.

Yet.

PS recommend the Mitre on the Golden Mile. Great pub, fantastic selection of malts.

If you fancy Spain, Alicante is fabulous and cheaper/less touristy than Barcelona.

95% of the traffic passing through Alicante airport is people who then head up the road to Benidorm (shudder). Alicante itself is a charming place with great restaurants and a very relaxed atmosphere. They also have a fantastic beach and castle which is well worth a visit.

It has a lovely marina/harbour area

86cd284d68c507a3f188c5b845147864.png

If you fancy Spain, Alicante is fabulous and cheaper/less touristy than Barcelona.

95% of the traffic passing through Alicante airport is people who then head up the road to Benidorm (shudder). Alicante itself is a charming place with great restaurants and a very relaxed atmosphere. They also have a fantastic beach and castle which is well worth a visit.

It has a lovely marina/harbour area

86cd284d68c507a3f188c5b845147864.png

Barcelona is a city of five million people. How can it be said to be "more touristy" than a resort town which is full of hotels?

Trafalgar Square in London is "touristy" but you don't have to spend all your time in the capital hanging out there.

My advice to the Barcelona visitor is to stay somewhere in the Gothic Quarter. This doesn't mean you'll encounter sad students in make-up, but it is a warren of medieval streets and tall buildings. Plenty of back street bars and eating places there where the clientele is entirely Catalan.

Barcelona is a city of five million people. How can it be said to be "more touristy" than a resort town which is full of hotels?

Trafalgar Square in London is "touristy" but you don't have to spend all your time in the capital hanging out there.

My advice to the Barcelona visitor is to stay somewhere in the Gothic Quarter. This doesn't mean you'll encounter sad students in make-up, but it is a warren of medieval streets and tall buildings. Plenty of back street bars and eating places there where the clientele is entirely Catalan.

Ha ok, fair point. What I meant was it's a slightly less obvious destination than the big cities like Barcelona, Paris etc.

Have you considered Severn Beach. Regular trains from Temple Meads and you won't be tempted to go pubbing. Excellent views of both Severn bridges.

You would be better off strolling along the sea wall to New passage for a better view of the old bridge!!

If you're happy to spend a bit of travelling time driving instead, I cant recommend Bruges enough. Only about a 45 minute drive from Calais so door to door travel time probably not much worse than a flight somewhere in Europe depending how far afield you wanted to go.

Alternatively you could Eurostar to Brussels and make your way from there without a car.

It's really a fantastic place.

This went to Bruges for my birthday in May...lovely town and not very big so if your wife is pregnant she it will not be too tiring....the main square is lovely, food superb and beer incredible....

Archived