IGNORED

Budapest - Anybody Been?

Lew-T

So long ago that Hungary was still a communist country. Even if I could remember any bars they'd probably be shut by now.

Two things I can tell you though, it's a very beautiful city. Buda has most of the historic sites, Pest has more clubs and bars. Secondly, hardly anyone speaks English. German is the second language there, so if you have anyone who can sprech ein bische Deutsch, you'll save being met by completely blank looks.

Went about three years ago but with the wife. Didn't find english to be a problem restaurants and bar staff seemed to speak it. It was gert cheap. Golash and goose legs are gert lush. Underground was dead easy to get around and dirt cheap.  We went to a michelin starred restaurant and it was about the same price as your bog standard Italian here.

Also pre booked a transfer from here http://www.resorthoppa.com/airport-transfers/hungary/budapest-ferenc-liszt-intl-airport-bud?refid=ppc&_$ja=cgid:3998144774|tsid:45480|cid:94149854|lid:3607267052|nw:g|crid:46949912174|rnd:1957168118701215789|dvc:c|adp:1t1|bku:1&gclid=Cj0KEQiA1eyiBRC-qI2VzKf0vaUBEiQAUiZ3xPVH6atcC_6szHO3qod8_u-hGTNp8_QMPbpe0_6b0aAaAmty8P8HAQ which saved loads of bother and wasn't expensive

As for getting lashed up, you'll have to sort that for yourselves.

Brilliant city. Better thang Prague IMO. Haven't been in 10 years so can't recommend any clubs or bars now. But you will enjoy the place. Something for everyone. Don't upset the proud locals by pissing or puking on the street. Magyar's don't take kindly to it

I was there for a few days in the summer but it was mostly a stop off before flying home. It was something like VII that had the main conglomerate of bars, which my only night out ended up around. Which is okay as there are hundreds of them, but if you want to have fun most of club/disco seemed to have been further North or South West of Pest and Magaret Island. That's unless you go for renowned sleaze and visit the baths on a club night.

The language is only a problem in regards to getting involved in cultural events. One of the more confusing moments in my life sitting through a huge outdoor opera without any English program or subtitles. Apart from that I'd say not to do the house of terror and don't pre buy any boat tickets until you know how far the go up the Danube even one providing sit down lunch or drink's end up doing a meagre 30 minute loop.

It's actually two separate city's, divided by the river Danube.

Buda is the old medieval side with an imposing castle, pest is the industrial ugly brother where most people live.

From the top of the castle in Buda, you get a great view of Pest and its parliament and a look at some nice architecture.

The city is full of outdoor spa's the most impressive one is situated ina local park with great subway access. If you google it you'll find it easy enough and if you don't go you'lll be missing out what the city is most famous for. The spas are a series of rooms all connected yet completely different, some have boiling hot waters, the others are freezing or have added eucalyptus (good for the skin, apparently), but for me the most impressive bit was the main pool, situated outside in the freezing cold you are bathed in warm water with the option of playing chess via built in chess boards.

When I went it was surreal, it was snowing heavily and freezing cold, yet I was stood in lovely warm water attempting to play chess with a local. Don't miss the spa.

Pest is also home to Ferenvarcos who a while back had some good fortune in Europe, tickets for games are dirt cheap but the stadium is not covered (from memory) so be prepared.

Just noticed I'm in Budapest during the Posh game. As its on Sky, do you think there is a chance of it been screened anywhere? :)

It's on Sky and there are millions of Sky Sports subscribers and pubs around the world so yes I expect it will be screened somewhere. 

there's lots of smaller bars and places that would be worth a visit - look up which ones serve the best beers first.

don't  go down the usual routes and as someone said, go up to the castle, the views are great and there's still bullet holes around the place from the wars

its more 'european' than when i was there  (back in 92) but still a lovely place (my boy went last year)

and here are lots of sports bars, you can convince them to tune in i'm sure

Archived