IGNORED

James Mcclean Refuses To Wear Poppy Shirt

westred1

Yes, anyone should have that right, but in explaining his decision therein lies the problem.

His reasoning, that wearing a poppy would somehow be an "insult" to the Catholic community of Derry, he echoes the language that would doubtless be used by the rooted-in-the-past supporters of the Real IRA and other such Republican "continuity" terrorist groups.

Ireland has moved on. The president of the republic of Ireland wears a poppy, and there is a remembrance ceremony held in Dublin each year.

Also, to harp on about Bloody Sunday 41 years on and ignore the fact that it was just one of a catalogue of appalling events to afflict both communities in Northern Ireland, suggests he views Ulster's history through a prism of sectarianism, even if he isn't actually bigoted himself.

Ultimately, he misunderstands what the poppy is about. It's remembering the sacrifice made by men of all nations in warfare, not some sort of imperialist symbol.  It reminds us of the human cost of war, it doesn't celebrate it.

Odd thing to write considering WW! was 100 years ago! You are right that Bloody Sunday was one of a catalogue of appalling events on both sides, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be remembered though.

He says he has not politicised the subject but actually he has. He says he will not wear the poppy because of the innocents who died during Bloody Sunday. Yet Catholics and Protestants alike died during the troubles and the Poppy represents all those who died. If you ask me he is being extremely naive.

Of course he should not be forced to wear a poppy but he is being prejudiced and political by definition of not doing so and highlighting it with his factually misguided letter.

Amazing how many people try and relate it to money.

quite a few more being critical of him now. I only had one answer to my question. I havent worn a poppy for 20 years, what do people think about me? Or does it matter more if a famous person doesn't wear a poppy?

Have you been asked to wear one though?

Amazing how many people try and relate it to money.

quite a few more being critical of him now. I only had one answer to my question. I havent worn a poppy for 20 years, what do people think about me? Or does it matter more if a famous person doesn't wear a poppy?

Why don't you wear a poppy?

Odd thing to write considering WW! was 100 years ago! You are right that Bloody Sunday was one of a catalogue of appalling events on both sides, that doesn't mean it shouldn't be remembered though.

That wasn't what I meant. His focus on one massacre in a conflict full of massacres, some carried out by bombers and gunmen from what he'd identify as his community, shows the skew in his thinking. Havanatopia gets my argument.

People gave their lives for our right to live in a free and democratic society, which you think he should be denied.

Which is becoming a typical response to the poppy. The way the press report poppy related stories around this time of year, the way right wing groups clamour to be the most patriotic.

These people cite the freedoms people died for whilst themselves attempting to restrict them.

The theft of the poppy, and what it really means (or at least used to) is one of the great tragedies of modern propaganda based politics.

At no point should we see the phrases "I'm British ans proud to wear my poppy". There's no ******* pride. I'm not proud that so many innocent men were sent to their deaths on the whim of elites. I'm not proud to see the poppy become associated with anti-Muslim sentiment or as a symbol of Britishness. Sacrifices were made in the name of Britain by subjects the world over.

It's not about pride. It's about remembering what those men and women fought and died for. It's about ensuring that it never happens again.

I've worn a poppy every year for my entire life. It's something I believe in. But I am a pacifist, I disagree with war.

So you wear a poppy every day do you Super?

I give a monthly sum to British Legion if that's okay.

Just cannot be bothered to wear a poppy as I don't feel the need to show that I am remembering. I just remember.

Exactly this. Personally I do wear a poppy but as I've said before, it's just a symbol of remberence around this time of year. Just because you're not wearing on doesn't mean you don't remember or don't respect.

States his case quite well but he's not being principled in any way. He is a professional footballer that pays an extraordinary amount of tax to HMRC that in turn funds the British armed forces.

He's prepared to take a stance for free by not wearing the shirt, but why doesn't he play for Shamrock Rovers? Presumably because it pays a lot less.

I'm pleasantly surprised that most posts seem to be in support of James McClean. Of course it should be an individuals choice, and it is rather sad he has to explain why he chooses not to, but I'm pleased he did so.

My father was on the Artic convoys during the war (and I am rather proud of the plaque which bears his name on the bench by the seamans memorial), and my mum was in what was then the WAF. My dad would have been saddened by the 'poppy culture' of today. Wearing one  it is supposed to be an act of remembrance not a pre requisite for anyone appearing in public.

Wear one (or don't) and take a moment on the 11th to quietly remember.

Well we have at least got this in common, my father was also on those convoys, and i still visit the seamans memorial just to rub his plaque, as for the poppy debate, as others have said we have freedom of choice, mainly due to the sacrifices made by the few.....i choose to wear one, 

States his case quite well but he's not being principled in any way. He is a professional footballer that pays an extraordinary amount of tax to HMRC that in turn funds the British armed forces.

He's prepared to take a stance for free by not wearing the shirt, but why doesn't he play for Shamrock Rovers? Presumably because it pays a lot less.

Very good point.

A lot of opinion on here to the effect that the IRA were bad people. This displays ignorance for there are many who consider them freedom fighters. Remember Bobby Sands he gave his life so Ireland could be free.

I keep hearing about the poppy symbolizing every death during conflict. But who does the money go to? It goes to the victims of one side of the conflict. In fact it doesn't even go to the soldiers who fought in WWI anymore because there aren't any and a dwindling amount from WWII.

If the Germans had succeeded in invading Britain and eventually the Southern half of this island became independent, we would be looking upon Brits who bombed Nazis in Northern Britain and in mainland Germany as heroes as they would be endeavoring to get Britain reunited. The same applies to Ireland. We Brits are the oppressors and to expect the oppressed not to take umbrage or retaliate is naive in the extreme. I doubt any of the money raised by selling poppies goes to victims of British aggression so why on earth should any Irish person wear a poppy?

I am not advocating this. I just look at the real world and put myself in the shoes of others. I don't look at the world through poppy tinted glasses.

Not really a fair point.

He (presumably) wants to play his football at the highest level he can give a good account of himself. Of course I'm not suggesting he doesn't like earning good money, but I don't think you can hold him accountable for where his taxation money is being spent.

The tax I pay pays for all kinds of things I don't agree with, but would be the same whether I worked in the UK, France, Germany, Spain or anywhere else.

you can still give to the charity without having to wear a poppy, forcing people to wear it is just as bad, it should down to each person if they chose to wear it or not,

people caling him a disgrace, do you go round to ever person and say that to their face if they aren't wearing a poppy?

Don't make him out as some sort of human rights campaigner here, I wouldn't mind betting if this was something with a 'fee' attached to it, he wouldn't turn it down, would he refuse to wear kit/clothes made in a sweat shop in a 3rd world country by 10 year olds, whilst logo owners got fatter and richer?.

His democratic choice of course it is, a democratic choice fought for by men who didn't have the opportunity of moralising from the cosseted world of an average but wildly overpaid footballers millionaire lifestyle, would I be happy if a BCFC player did the same, absolutely not.

There was never an issue with poppies on shirts until this individual came along. If Neil Lennon can manage it without making a fuss (bearing in mind the grief he gets), then why can't this bloke ?

We're constantly being told that footballers are role models for youngsters (not sure I agree with this, entirely), then what sort of message is he sending to kids ?

Are we to have this argument every year, because of just one man ?

The sooner he leaves our League, or retires, the better. The argument can leave with him.

Glad he has finally gave a reason for his actions. I understand where he's coming from, but there are plenty of Muslims in the game who wear one without any fuss

What really ***** me off is the blatant disregard of the meaning of the poppy by the Celtic fans. No doubt they have their banners ready for today, and will be allowed to show them. The *****

Archived