IGNORED

James Mcclean Refuses To Wear Poppy Shirt

westred1

I may see you there one day then, despite the fact that some may consider me a 'scum Celtic fan'

Miah,

Bear in mind that the 'some' who consider you a 'scum Celtic fan' are a very small minority.  

From your posts you come across as a very decent human being, which thankfully the vast (mostly silent) majority are.

To be honest, I feel it's unfair of McLean to have been put in this situation in the first place.  It's a bit naive of people to say he's intentionally making a stand - ultimately in any other walk of life he'd be able to just quietly not wear one.  It's only because it's become a thing that the poppy is emblazoned on all football shirts that he has to proactively say no.  I disagree with his stance - in so far as that I still regard a poppy as a tribute to and remembrance to those who needlessly died in conflict but, in recent years (and especially post-Help for Heroes, who are obviously a completely different organisation to the Royal British Legion who benefit from the poppy sales), it has become synonymous to some people with the glorification of the army and warfare.  I can completely see why that sits uncomfortably with some people, especially if they've grown up in a community where people have suffered arguably as a result of the glorification of war.

I'm very conflicted on the poppies on football shirts (and the ubiquity with public figures).  On the one hand, I'm quite involved with the welfare side of the Royal British Legion and it is brilliant publicity for the work that they do but, on the other hand, it does rather force footballers and public figures into having to wear a poppy by default - regardless of it they want to - and I think it's a bit of a nonsense to pretend all those people are actively doing so in order to remember.  To be fair to McLean, he's clearly thought about the issue a damn sight more than I suspect a lot of footballers, tv personalities and politicians do.  I imagine rather a lot of them stick their poppy on my default don't give a minute's thought to remembering what it actually stands for.

McClean is still happy to earn his money in this country.How convenient that his morals and beliefs do not stop him when it comes to filling his pockets. 

Is it really 'convenient' though?  This seems to be a moral or belief completely unconnected to how much he earns or what job he does.  If he was arguing in favour of anti-capitalism, wealth redistribution or poverty relief then you'd raise a good point but his feelings on the armed forces are't really related to money at all so I can't help thinking the issue of what he earns is irrelevant here and just a helpful stick for people who don't like his decision to beat him with.

There are similar discussions happening at my sons primary school.

Personally, I don't understand all the fuss. It's entirely up to the individual. Omitting to wear one does not show disrespect. It shows choice, preference.

I very seldom wear a poppy, yet I, like millions(probably even billions) of others on this planet have, some family member who fought or died in the wars. I have, and always will have the utmost respect.

JET didn't have one on his shirt either, is everyone going to make a big fuss about him as well?

Sorry mate you are completely and utterly wrong on this one, if you look at the photo of the 1 minutes silence before the game kicks off, you can just about see the bottom part of a poppy motive on his shirt above the club crest. I suspect either it might have come off during the game or he changed his shirt at half time, so is not visible on the photo of him after his goal. in the 1 minutes silence photo it looks as though Luke Ayling isn't wearing one but a later photo clearly shows that he is.

Nice try though.

If he feels that strongly about the red poppy then why didn't he wear a white one? The white poppy is for peace and no more wars plus for all the innocents who have died during wars. Or will he find something against it?

I used to do that but someone on here convinced me that it was unnecessary. He pointed out that most of those who wear the red poppy don't do it out of military zeal, but out of respect for the dead and wounded, and to provide help for the survivors. I wear a red one now.

Yes, I know. Someone on here actually put forward a rational argument that changed my mind. Hard to believe, isn't it?

Fair enough. But the reason there were elections in Iraq was because we went in and removed their leader because of his weapons of mass destruction which turned out to be a catapult or something akin to it. As for Afghanistan that will never be complete. We were losing men there 150 years ago and will be losing lives there in 150 years from now.

At the end of the day we are all E

At the end of the day we are all E

ENG

But at the end of the day we are all Eng

Thought that was a new chant coming on ....however your point about Afghanistan you are probably right, history has it we will never get to grips with the place, and probably never will, but as said this Poppy wearing tribute is exactly that, a tribute to the dead who gave their lives for a cause that many of them did not really understand perhaps. 

I suspect for many was a chance to slip away from the mediocre life they were living, a chance to go off with their mates and have a bit of a scrap, an adventure if you like.,

They were just young lads, and to me that is what really makes it so poignant.

Sorry mate you are completely and utterly wrong on this one, if you look at the photo of the 1 minutes silence before the game kicks off, you can just about see the bottom part of a poppy motive on his shirt above the club crest. I suspect either it might have come off during the game or he changed his shirt at half time, so is not visible on the photo of him after his goal. in the 1 minutes silence photo it looks as though Luke Ayling isn't wearing one but a later photo clearly shows that he is.

Nice try though.

Ah my mistake, just seen. Still it should be a choice for who wears one and who doesn't. Anyway, on McLean I've just saw a picture on twitter of him wearing an Easter Lily, and people complaining about that. I've never seen one of those before.

http://twitter.com/TLoyal1/status/530817685505196032/photo/1

I don't need a poppy to remember those that fought for this country, I am quite capable of remembering them without one.

I don't feel the need to give a tiny amount of money for a paper poppy either, I happily give a donation every month to this type of cause.  Now does that make me a better or worse person that pays 1 pound for a poppy and wears i for a couple of days a year?!

Interesting set of morals and bullshit being spouted by those who have no idea what so ever what other people believe and give money to.

Oh to be so outraged for no reason. 

And a poppy on the shirt? c'mon, more pc madness,  I can't remember this happening other than in the last 4 or 5 years.  it is pathetic

... Yet Catholics and Protestants alike died during the troubles and the Poppy represents all those who died.

The red poppy is just those that fell fighting for the British forces.

Think you'll find the white poppy movement seeks to remember all those that died in conflict - civilians and combatants of both sides.

The red poppy is just those that fell fighting for the British forces.

They have it in the US and in most Commonwealth countries too.  As you can see from this link, it is used by some people in Ireland too, where there is an RBL branch.  http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1109/657903-remembrance-sunday/

The French use a blue flower. The Germans, I think, tend to ignore WWI.

They have it in the US and in most Commonwealth countries too.  As you can see from this link, it is used by some people in Ireland too, where there is an RBL branch.  http://www.rte.ie/news/2014/1109/657903-remembrance-sunday/

The French use a blue flower. The Germans, I think, tend to ignore WWI.

I kid you not, but 11H11, 11 November is the start of the Karneval season!

Archived