IGNORED

Bristol City Gollywog On Ebay - Pathetic And Offensive

Randy Marsh

Westernised Oriental Gentlemen I always thought

Slightly tedious footnote:

The word 'Gollywog' predates the slang term 'wog'.  Gollywogs first appeared in the late 19th century (the word was the name of a doll in an American children's book), but the word 'wog' didn't start being used until the 1st world war.  This suggests that 'wog' might derive from 'gollywog'. 

The notion of 'wog' standing for 'western oriental gentlemen' was invented in the 1960s in a tongue-in-cheek attempt to justify the words usage.  This was about the time of Till Death Us Do Part in which the word was frequently used (of course, the writer Johnny Speight meant TDUDP to satirise racists and attack racism, but these things don't always work out the way you planned it and Alf Garnett became a folk hero in some quarters).

In Australia the word 'wog' is not limited to black people, but is applied to Italians, Greeks, etc., i.e.  anyone not Australian.

The notion of 'wog' standing for 'western oriental gentlemen' was invented in the 1960s in a tongue-in-cheek attempt to justify the words usage.  This was about the time of Till Death Us Do Part in which the word was frequently used (of course, the writer Johnny Speight meant TDUDP to satirise racists and attack racism, but these things don't always work out the way you planned it and Alf Garnett became a folk hero in some quarters).

In Australia the word 'wog' is not limited to black people, but is applied to Italians, Greeks, etc., i.e.  anyone not Australian.

My father assured me the term wog, standing for wily oriental gentlemen, was used in the second world war referring to Egyptians when he was based there.

Archived