IGNORED

Bristol City Gollywog On Ebay - Pathetic And Offensive

Randy Marsh

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EFS2STAwMVg

Brings back early memories of City supporting, around the time this was in the charts I had maybe a year or so of Ashton Gate experience..... Strangely I can remember walking up North St with my mate after a game with this popular at the time tune in my head and wondering what the lyrics were all about...

Catchy tune though - & clever forum name 54-46 (right now you the someone with that number :) ..Oh Yeahhh! .)

Any chance you might advise what it means?

It is totally lost on me.

Brings back early memories of City supporting, around the time this was in the charts I had maybe a year or so of Ashton Gate experience..... Strangely I can remember walking up North St with my mate after a game with this popular at the time tune in my head and wondering what the lyrics were all about...

Catchy tune though - & clever forum name 54-46 (right now you the someone with that number :) ..Oh Yeahhh! .)

25 or 624 No need for any other set of numbers in a title, that's it, it's all you need.

End Of  :shifty:

OK. I remember Toots And The Maytals (had to Google), but not this song.

Thanks anyway.

Whilst it began life as an innocent character in a victorian children's book you'd have to be incredibly ignorant to not be aware that it has since become an overtly racist and offensive (to some) image and word.

I am fully aware that the OP meant this as a humorous comment on Cardiff's change of kit colour, but the reactions of some on here amaze me, desperate to accuse people of being overly sensitive for what I can only imagine is some kind of shock value.

Plenty of people own collections of the Robertson's Jam figures and there is nothing wrong with that,so long as these people realise and understand that they come from a time that was either more innocent or more tolerant of racist attitudes.

The figure and word are not, in themselves, racist. It is more the way they have been used as a racist slur over the years that has made them unacceptable in normal society.

This is why the Homepride Fred character is not racist, it has never been used in a derogatory way. Of course, you are still quite within your rights to be offended by it.

You may not believe you are being racist, but it remains fact that using the image and name Golliwog these days is considered a racist act in itself.

Whilst it began life as an innocent character in a victorian children's book you'd have to be incredibly ignorant to not be aware that it has since become an overtly racist and offensive (to some) image and word.

I am fully aware that the OP meant this as a humorous comment on Cardiff's change of kit colour, but the reactions of some on here amaze me, desperate to accuse people of being overly sensitive for what I can only imagine is some kind of shock value.

Plenty of people own collections of the Robertson's Jam figures and there is nothing wrong with that,so long as these people realise and understand that they come from a time that was either more innocent or more tolerant of racist attitudes.

The figure and word are not, in themselves, racist. It is more the way they have been used as a racist slur over the years that has made them unacceptable in normal society.

This is why the Homepride Fred character is not racist, it has never been used in a derogatory way. Of course, you are still quite within your rights to be offended by it.

You may not believe you are being racist, but it remains fact that using the image and name Golliwog these days is considered a racist act in itself.

go on redeye you tell em boy

Well put Rich. Not intended as racist or inherently racist, but fouled by association with racists who've used it as an insult.

Which doesn't prevent me from being amused by the OP.

PS What really pees me off is people saying it's obvious without arguing their case.

I can remember Gollywogs from when I was young in the late 50s / early 60s. I never regarded them as a representation of a black person, nor did anyone I knew. They were just cartoon or toy characters who happened to be black.

A regular criticism is that they were often portrayed in - e g Noddy - stories as being nasty, therefore it's racist to refer to them. The pixies were just as bad, but were white, but nobody says don't talk about / buy pixies.

The fact that Gollywogs contain the word "wog" is probably the route cause of the problem. Unfortunately we've reached the stage where just calling them a Golly will not suffice as people who like to see racism where it doesn't exist have won. I wouldn't buy one for that reason.

Can't blame LJ for this one .... Its not his Fawlt

Feel uncomfortable posting with F/Towers clip.

Fawlty Towers is right up there with my all time favourite TV shows - this clip at the time was clearly making a point regarding rightly changing modern attitudes towards old unacceptable language and attitudes around race. Nowadays it and the words used make for difficult viewing - I think the discomfort we now feel is good, it highlights how far we've come in terms of tackling what we all must see was very wrong but generally acceptable within society at the time. When this was first broadcast it made its point in a comedic -we've moved on so much now that even that would not be accepted things must be changing for the better... A social barometer perhaps? ... I'm happy

I'm uncomfortable

The fact that Gollywogs contain the word "wog" is probably the route cause of the problem. Unfortunately we've reached the stage where just calling them a Golly will not suffice as people who like to see racism where it doesn't exist have won. I wouldn't buy one for that reason.

The word wog was derived from Golliwog, not the other way around.

As this word has, since the second world war at least, been used as a derogatory term in a racist sense, the Golliwog name and image have become tainted by association.

It's sad and slightly ridiculous, but it's the way things are now and to know this but to still use them while protesting you're not trying to be offensive displays a level of ignorance. It would be akin to using the 'n' word and claiming you weren't trying to be offensive, which I'm (almost) certain nobody here would try to defend.

Are we becoming better people because we are more careful with our language? Alas not. I'm afraid that hypocrisy is reaching new depths.

When we have to misuse the word "gender" because "sex" is unacceptable to prudish Americans, then I despair of the English language and the people who speak it.

Archived