IGNORED

Best City Team In 15 Years?

cityfan

Surely this is the best City team in the last 15 years.

Strong, quick, supportive and available, playing great football, goal's from everyone, up and back down the pitch as a team.

We've had some good players over the years, but I'm not sure we've had a better team.

Well done the players and Steve Cotterill

Unsure about better than the Johnson promotion or play off team but at least we now play entertaining football, rather than grinding out 1-0 wins.   Play-Off season team was the best team obviosuly.

Better than Wards - Debateable...

Better than Jordan's not by a long shot yet

Best manager for sure.

Could the other managers we have had get the same out of these players?  i don't think so,.

We have had other good players over the last few years, but sadly not the managers to do the players justice!

With you with this one Robbo.

I think it is better than the Johnson team(s) and the coming seasons will tell.  Had some great players in this 15 years used to good effect or otherwise (Paul Hartley, Lee Trundle being two such examples), but not a better footballing team in my opinion.

If we go up, I think we will have some good players who will want to come and play for Cotterill and I think he will do very well as a Manager.  I like him!

It's hard to judge a team 15 years ago or so and compare with the present, different circumstances as in systems, quality of opposition and budgets available for playing staff. 

But what I can say is that as a team this crop do seem a close unit, willing to work their socks off for each other, and yes they are a pretty good footballing side too.

And that is down to one man, the manager, SC is now a young looking 50, at the top of his game, we are indeed fortunate to have him.

Not sure why 15 years as opposed to say 10 or 20?

For me until a side replicates what we did in Johnson's first season in The Championship the sides that come after cannot be as good.

Despite what I read on here there were some very good players in the side that finished fourth that season.

Cotterill deserves huge praise though for the progress he's made in 12 months and the fact that 2 players aside the team is young and the football is a pragmatic blend of going long when needed and good passing otherwise, and is certainly not what some on here told us we'd be watching....

Cotterill deserves huge praise though for the progress he's made in 12 months and the fact that 2 players aside the team is young and the football is a pragmatic blend of going long when needed and good passing otherwise, is certainly not what some on here told us we'd be watching....

Exactly this. I'm all for a side that keeps the ball down, passes it about etc etc but sometimes you've got to play a more direct ball. Under SO'D we played lovely little triangles that went no-where. With Cotts it's a case of 'play the ball that's needed' if that's a short pass or a 60 yarder. 

The football we've been playing has been top notch and the passing is often slick and incisive. Long may it continue. 

It is better than the Johnson teams. The whole playoff campaign was through a winning momentum we maintained from the previous season and since then both League 1 and Championship has improved in quality.

Best manager and best team for sure. But would take the 06/07 defence and keeper over our current one.

Never seen a manager so passionate and hungry to win and succeed.

You see his reaction to being 3-0 up with 2 minutes to go against p'boro? He was more animated than Ferguson was. He's the best thing that's happened to our club for years

You can be as passionate as you like and incompetent and you're doomed. Fortunately Cotterill is competent.

I think this is the best midfield we have had. I think Cole and jacki was best forward line and defensively were not as good as Shaun Taylor era. Goalie def not the best we have had I always like Keith Welsh personnaly but we have a good team and the two defeats were unlucky and we played good football without just rewards

You see his reaction to being 3-0 up with 2 minutes to go against p'boro? He was more animated than Ferguson was. He's the best thing that's happened to our club for years

Totally.

Cotts made his name at Cheltenham, but he realistically took them as far as they could go. He has unfinished business in the Championship and something to prove, and we're lucky that it's us he wants to prove it with.

As for the team, like the Johnson promotion side, they are a tight-knit unit, with high morale, a superb work ethic, a never-say-die attitude, and they play for each other not just themselves. They are everything you want in a side. More than just the sum of parts

Yes I noticed that, and so did the SKY camera's not that he was doing it for the camera, that's just the way he is, and I agree he is a perfect fit for us, why 'eee even talks like wee do. :farmer:

Exactly this. I'm all for a side that keeps the ball down, passes it about etc etc but sometimes you've got to play a more direct ball. Under SO'D we played lovely little triangles that went no-where. With Cotts it's a case of 'play the ball that's needed' if that's a short pass or a 60 yarder.

The football we've been playing has been top notch and the passing is often slick and incisive. Long may it continue.

Entirely agreed. Its not always a bad thing to pass backwards when you have a CB like Ayling who can instantly turn it into attack.

I am struggling to think of a City team where virtually all of them are so very comfortable with the ball.  I am assuming that that is one of the key factors Burt/Cotterill look for when signing players.

The ball playing skill of Korey Smith coupled to the amount of "dirty" work that he does makes him the stand out player for me.

Nobody can say SC is a better manager than GJ until he's surpassed his achievements.

Whilst I'm very pleased with our start this season I still believe this is the weakest this division has been in years.

Yep, same goes for the players, i'd say the players who got us to finish 4th in the Championship are our best team since i've been watching. This team have quite a bit to do before they're on those levels.

I would say the strongest team might be debatable, I think we are a bit short of depth to say this is the strongest squad. Some of the players that have been bit players in the past few years would be more than welcome in this squad. For example, imagine having Kailfa Cisse as cover for Korey Smith. :)

Nobody can say SC is a better manager than GJ until he's surpassed his achievements.

Whilst I'm very pleased with our start this season I still believe this is the weakest this division has been in years.

and nobody can say this is the best team in 15 years until we've actually won something. All the signs are there but there's still a long way to go for both Steve and the team.

Indeed. Wilson's team played some lovely football but were soft as shite.

What I like about a player like, say, Flint, is he's hard but fair.  He'll take no nonsense and the number of times he's had a right go at an opponent for fouling Fielding is heartening. But it's not all Chesterfield-style fouls off the ball and kicks to the back of the knees either. I wouldn't want a team to play like that.

Archived