IGNORED

Andy Cole

MarcusX

The 0-5 was at home in the 1st leg of a Coca-Cola cup match in 1995. Both Jacki and Cole had left before then. Both in 1993 I think.

Our strike force (I think) that night was Agostino and Seal. I know Agostino scored in the 2nd leg.

There were two 5-0 defeats against Newcastle in the 90s, and one 3-0 defeat. The 3-0 and 5-0 league games were both in 1992 (3-0 in February for Keegan's first game, and 5-0 in September the following season but same calendar year).

The 5-0 league cup game at Ashton Gate was in 1995-96 (19th September 1995). We also lost the second leg 3-1 a couple of weeks later, and as you say, Agostino got our goal.

The 5-0 I referred to was an away league game at St James Park in September 1992. Poured down all day and with nine man City (because as I said Cole and Jacki did not contribute anything) it was a long miserable away trip.

Remember it well, drenched for the 7 hour coach trip back & our keeper was MOM on our coach!!! (Welch probably)

Were you really 'stunned' to sign a player who'd made one appearance for Arsenal and 13 on loan at Fulham and scored a grand total of 3 goals??!

I'd never heard of him at the time....

Time may be playing tricks on me, but wasn't Cole here on loan at first? I can remember the Clubcall headlines (ask your Dad, young uns) on teletext (as your Dad, young uns) come up with something like 'City sign 500k superstar' and it transpired that we'd signed Cole permanently? Am I right here? If so I remember the loan spell gave us a real spark when we desperately needed one, and I was surprised we managed to sign him on a long term deal and he hadn't been snapped up by a bigger club

He was and still is one of my favourite players, I met him twice and he was always nice and easy to talk to. I think a lot of people mistake his "lack of effort" with a very high level of anticipation. Cole more often than not looked lazy but the more you watched him the more you'd realise he only ran when he knew there was a chance he'd get the ball, that may seem lazy but it was one of the reasons he always looked so dangerous at the end of the matches and not just the first 3/4ths of it. He was very good as conserving his energy and picking his runs well so he was a danger for the full 90 minutes. He never was a great defensive player and in all fairness he wasn't there to be the 10th defender, he was there to score goals and when supplied he would. His scoring rate wasn't even that good at the gate, around 20 goals in the one season he was here but you can only score when you get the supply and that was where we lacked that season. If you look back at the results that season and you're old enough to remember it you'll know it was a season in which we struggled a lot in the first half, we got smashed 5-1 by West Ham, 5-0 by Newcastle, 4-1 by Millwall and even a 4-0 defeat to the Gas. 
To put it in perspective you only need look at our goals that season, 49 in total in the league, Cole scored 20 that season.
Those who dislike Cole won't change their minds but those who are old enough to remember that season will remember that without Cole and Jacki we would have most likely been in the relegation as we only finished 7 points above it. That said it was still fun to see Rovers finish last that season :P

Not very complimentary about us in his book

You beat me to it! I remember there was some online anger when the book came out as he didn't appear too complimentary about us.

Maybe the journo who wrote it trying to raise some controversy to shift the book?

I've not got a copy. Anyone on here able to confirm the book's dig at us?

Archived