IGNORED

Andy Cole

MarcusX

His time here was before my time of watching but the guy seems to get a lot of stick from us, and appeared a few times in the "players you are ashamed of" thread - apparently due to comments he's made since leaving us or not acknowledging his time with us?

So, I was surprised when I was watching Sky's goal on Sundays program and he was on there. He said he loved his time here and it was the right thing for his career. He was also complimentary about Dennis Smith.

His time here was before my time of watching but the guy seems to get a lot of stick from us, and appeared a few times in the "players you are ashamed of" thread - apparently due to comments he's made since leaving us or not acknowledging his time with us?

So, I was surprised when I was watching Sky's goal on Sundays program and he was on there. He said he loved his time here and it was the right thing for his career. He was also complimentary about Dennis Smith.

He knew he was too good for us and he was right. One of the best strikers I have seen play for City.

Missed that, fair play to him albeit a little late and after very public snubs

I heard that, I was surprised he'd remembered that he used to play for us. Cracking player but still arrogant with it. I guess that's part of what made him good though

Tremendous player EXCEPT a couple of things.

Total disinterest and lack of effort in many away matches. Worst example was a 0-5 hiding at Newcastle when Cole and Jacki left the other nine to do it all.

And his attitude to several of his City colleagues during matches. He would only pass to about 50% of the team during matches, totally ignoring those who were not deemed by Cole to be good enough to play with him.

So a prolific goalscorer in the Prem but not a team player at City!

I have never really bought into this about Andy Cole snubbing us. At the time he was here, I used to work with the ground staff during the school summer holidays and he was always great with me, as a kid, having a kick about at lunch time and recognising me if I saw him out and about and making me feel 10ft tall by taking the trouble to call out "Hi Rob, how's it going mate" infront of my friends.

I remember him coming back a few seasons later to play in Andy Llewellyns testimonial (I think it was) and again, he was great, despite being one of the premier leagues top strikers at the time.

I personally don't have a bad thing to say about him, but hey, I only used to kind of know and speak to him regularly, so i'm sure I don't know half as much as people who have probably never met him!

I have never really bought into this about Andy Cole snubbing us. At the time he was here, I used to work with the ground staff during the school summer holidays and he was always great with me, as a kid, having a kick about at lunch time and recognising me if I saw him out and about and making me feel 10ft tall by taking the trouble to call out "Hi Rob, how's it going mate" infront of my friends.

I remember him coming back a few seasons later to play in Andy Llewellyns testimonial (I think it was) and again, he was great, despite being one of the premier leagues top strikers at the time.

I personally don't have a bad thing to say about him, but hey, I only used to kind of know and speak to him regularly, so i'm sure I don't know half as much as people who have probably never met him!

That's a nice touch and he's probably a very nice bloke.

But its difficult to argue that he tried his hardest on the pitch (for us).

Damn right .That Andrew Cole ,however ,was a bit of a dick !

To add to that I cannot recall reading a blisteringly negative set of posts about the guy. I met him just after he had signed and was at Clevedon Town when we played in a pre season friendly.. he chatted to me as a youngun for a couple of minutes along with my Dad. Nice fella.. we were all ecstatic at the time i recall. A real pea in the pants moment! (had i been a lot younger i hasten to add) 

Andy was one of the top strikers we have had at the club. True it would take him 2 or 3 chances to score but he was always looking for the chance, and in the end he would score. I feel his time with us, was the reason he got back into top flight football and went on to become an international.

I read a magazine article some years ago in which Andy stated he joined City because "They are a selling club and I knew I'd stand out in that team, therefore I'd attract a bid from a top club".

Well, what is wrong with that..?! Especially seeing as he was 100% spot on and had a career that is almost untouchable by any former City player.

I'm just glad that we had him for the time that we did.

I've never understood fans not liking a player if he slates the Club.

Our Club has deserved to be slated in the past for the way it was run.

Thankfully things are changing.

I can understand fans not liking a player if you felt he never gave 100% when playing...but a player 'telling it like it is'...can hurt...but at least you know something's going on.

I've only good things to say about Andy Cole...he played well for us.

We ****ed up though, not having a sell on clause...so anything negative about the Club at the time, could be right.

I read a magazine article some years ago in which Andy stated he joined City because "They are a selling club and I knew I'd stand out in that team, therefore I'd attract a bid from a top club".

He said something similar on Goals on Sunday yesterday. He basically said he always viewed us as a stepping stone to greater things, which while galling to hear as a City fan, is entirely understandable. I'd even go so far as to say that if we signed a highly rated 20 (21?) year old from Arsenal and he didn't have ambitions beyond Bristol City (as we were then), I'd have been a bit dubious as to his motivation!

I agree with many of the sentiments, however the quote often attributed to us, was 'the worst mistake I made' I'm not even sure where it was or even if it was made, but that was the origin of the antipathy.

As DM said it does feel a little like all of a sudden he remembers us as we are doing well, can't wait for him to be a guest analyst next time we are on TV now. It actually would be fun to see some old AC goals and some footage as a reminder to Mancs and Geordies.

That's a nice touch and he's probably a very nice bloke.

But its difficult to argue that he tried his hardest on the pitch (for us).

Exactly'

Tremendous player EXCEPT a couple of things.

Total disinterest and lack of effort in many away matches. Worst example was a 0-5 hiding at Newcastle when Cole and Jacki left the other nine to do it all.

And his attitude to several of his City colleagues during matches. He would only pass to about 50% of the team during matches, totally ignoring those who were not deemed by Cole to be good enough to play with him.

So a prolific goalscorer in the Prem but not a team player at City!

The 0-5 was at home in the 1st leg of a Coca-Cola cup match in 1995. Both Jacki and Cole had left before then. Both in 1993 I think.

Our strike force (I think) that night was Agostino and Seal. I know Agostino scored in the 2nd leg.

The 0-5 was at home in the 1st leg of a Coca-Cola cup match in 1995. Both Jacki and Cole had left before then. Both in 1993 I think.

Our strike force (I think) that night was Agostino and Seal. I know Agostino scored in the 2nd leg.

The 0-5 loss away in the league was (I think) Keegan's first game in charge.

Yup - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-TTX5WeV-I

Archived