IGNORED

Andy Cole

MarcusX

His time here was before my time of watching but the guy seems to get a lot of stick from us, and appeared a few times in the "players you are ashamed of" thread - apparently due to comments he's made since leaving us or not acknowledging his time with us?

So, I was surprised when I was watching Sky's goal on Sundays program and he was on there. He said he loved his time here and it was the right thing for his career. He was also complimentary about Dennis Smith.

of course he liked Dennis Smith.

He let him stay in his car when it was cold .  :shutup:

Standing in the East End and seeing a pass come through to Andy Cole on the edge of the box was bloody thrilling, he was lethal. It was obvious there was stuff going on, he always came onto the pitch last and on his own, and there were some stupid rumours. The club totally cocked up about the sell on clause, they weren't unusual back then...I met our terrible chairman on a train after they sold him and he was just an idiot about AC, saying they were glad to be shot of him - I was absolutely disgusted and Chairman Les Kew (for it was him) later got the boot himself and I was happy. He also said they sacked Denis Smith because he was foul-mouthed and rude!

Pretty sure the 5-0 at Newcastle was Keegan's first game.

Not quite. Keegan's first game was against City the previous season, and Newcastle won 3-0 that day (the 8th of February 1992, to be precise). The 5-0 was on the 1st of September 1992.

From the following link: "On 5 February 1992, almost eight years after his final game as a player, Keegan returned to football as manager of Newcastle United":

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Keegan

Record of our games against Newcastle (including the 3-0 and the 5-0 seven months apart):

http://www.newcastleunited-mad.co.uk/head_to_head/newcastle_united/vs/bristol_city/index.shtml

Definitely was 3-0 for Keegans return as now remember it was the only season I managed to go to every game home and away - remember breaking down near M25 on way to Millwall near the end of the season and thinking it was going to blow my 100% record. Stuck on the hard shoulder with Mikey Gallop chattering in my ear - anyone who knows Mikey will understand the double whammy here! Up the City!

I read a magazine article some years ago in which Andy stated he joined City because "They are a selling club and I knew I'd stand out in that team, therefore I'd attract a bid from a top club".

To be fair if I was a 22 year old lad who had been rejected by my local team that I supported, then I would think and do exactly the same.

He was brilliant for us - lethal and when combined with Jackie, gave us an albeit brief spell of pure magic.

he was interviewed for ULTRA, at the time and was a level headed chap.

it was obvious that he was light years above our level - we were stunned to sign him ( well I was) and it was inevitable that he would be gone pretty quickly - the board were not used to having such a star in their midst and cocked up the sell on clause!.

I just cannot understand the negativity, having watched him play in a red shirt he was magnificent for us.

Not very complimentary about us in his book, offered his shirt to a fan in the Dolman as if to say 'can you do better?' when he was getting some stick in a game, laughed at the City fans at a game away at Barnsley when he missed a sitter and got some honest feedback.

He's probably matured now but he was also a neighbour of mine when he played at City and although he was obviously a fine player he always came across as being arrogant

He was brilliant for us - lethal and when combined with Jackie, gave us an albeit brief spell of pure magic.

he was interviewed for ULTRA, at the time and was a level headed chap.

it was obvious that he was light years above our level - we were stunned to sign him ( well I was) and it was inevitable that he would be gone pretty quickly - the board were not used to having such a star in their midst and cocked up the sell on clause!.

I just cannot understand the negativity, having watched him play in a red shirt he was magnificent for us.

Were you really 'stunned' to sign a player who'd made one appearance for Arsenal and 13 on loan at Fulham and scored a grand total of 3 goals??!

I'd never heard of him at the time....

Well, what is wrong with that..?! Especially seeing as he was 100% spot on and had a career that is almost untouchable by any former City player.

I'm just glad that we had him for the time that we did.

Agree with this and thanks for your personal recollections. Cole was a joy to watch in a City shirt. Absolutely electric pace and I can't recall him ever not trying.

Given his career his time at City was really only a small footnote. Can totally understand why it didn't have a mention in his book.

Keegan's first game in charge was 3-0...NLR and PGR are correct

Then I must stand corrected!

I didn't go, but just (seem to) recall that Newcastle had been in very poor form and then Keegan joined. I 'knew' that it was the wrong time to be playing them, and that we got well beaten - apparently 3-0....

I didn't go, but just (seem to) recall that Newcastle had been in very poor form and then Keegan joined. I 'knew' that it was the wrong time to be playing them, and that we got well beaten - apparently 3-0....

They had been in poor form, so much so that I expected us to beat them despite it being Keegans first match. By the time they dicked us 5-0 later that year they had enjoyed a turnaround in fortunes similar to our own from March onwards this year.

I think I've got video footage of Andy Cole running back to defend after an unsuccessful attacking move. Its a proper collectors item.

It was jimmy lumsden who transformed him as a striker. He told Cole he had been chasing back far too much. His job was to hit the net, other players were paid to get the ball.

There are very few prolific strikers who can be lethal while chasing in their own half.

The 0-5 was at home in the 1st leg of a Coca-Cola cup match in 1995. Both Jacki and Cole had left before then. Both in 1993 I think.

Our strike force (I think) that night was Agostino and Seal. I know Agostino scored in the 2nd leg.

The 5-0 I referred to was an away league game at St James Park in September 1992. Poured down all day and with nine man City (because as I said Cole and Jacki did not contribute anything) it was a long miserable away trip.

Archived