IGNORED

Swindle At It Again

Rudolf Hucker

I can absolutely see where you're coming from and this is not a justification but for years and years, Swindon were on the receiving end of many losses against seemingly injury feigning, whining, petty and often nasty sides and boy-oh-boy did we ever moan after these games.

The moral high-ground doesn't get you everywhere in football and I do think that generally it's a case of it being rubbish when you're the victim but 'a part of the game' when it's your side doing it. Also, the crimes Swindon have been charge with on OTIB aren't really that bad - The Wade Elliott incident aside because the video doesn't conclusively condemn anyone.

Since the Town game, I've read a good few comments on here where I've thought 'if that was a Swindon player you'd go mental' but I understand the tribalism that football following is.

You do not seem to understand that in the main Bristol City supporters do not want our club to be associated with the dark arts of football. We are very proud that the greatest player to represent our club, John Atyeo played 650 matches, scored 350 goals with NIL CAUTIONS OR SENDING OFF! He played the game hard but fairly and his legacy survives to this day.

For the same reason, your current manager's father, Terry Cooper is considered by us to be an absolute legend because he rescued us after the 1982 bankruptcy by playing good football without resorting to the sort of tactics that we see at other clubs in British football.

We do not expect our players to be softies, we do not put up with managers who use such tactics.

Players and managers who want to deliberately and knowingly use such tactics are not liked and do not last long with us. El Abd being a recent example.

So we are not taking the moral high ground. We want our team to win playing attractive football and not resorting to the sort of things that we have criticised your players of.

If our club did this, many of us would not bother supporting them!

You do not seem to understand that in the main Bristol City supporters do not want our club to be associated with the dark arts of football. We are very proud that the greatest player to represent our club, John Atyeo played 650 matches, scored 350 goals with NIL CAUTIONS OR SENDING OFF! He played the game hard but fairly and his legacy survives to this day.

For the same reason, your current manager's father, Terry Cooper is considered by us to be an absolute legend because he rescued us after the 1982 bankruptcy by playing good football without resorting to the sort of tactics that we see at other clubs in British football.

We do not expect our players to be softies, we do not put up with managers who use such tactics.

Players and managers who want to deliberately and knowingly use such tactics are not liked and do not last long with us. El Abd being a recent example.

So we are not taking the moral high ground. We want our team to win playing attractive football and not resorting to the sort of things that we have criticised your players of.

Again although I would love to say every player that played for our club was capable of winning the FIFA fair play award single handed, I can't honestly say this is true. I would also like to say that heroes at this club are only those that adhere to the Atyeo principal, but this would be a lie also. Gerry Gow, Norman Hunter, Mick Harford and many others were players who ensured we had a "presence" and a deterrent to opposition foul play. In the current team I would say that WIlbraham likes to make his mark and is quite capable of taking his own revenge if the referee does not look like he is protecting him.

With all due respect mate, and I understand where you are coming from but 3 points from me -

1. John Atyeo would have lasted about 20 mins in today's game before being sent off for charging the keeper into the net. He'd have probably 200 cautions to his name too.

2. One of my heroes and Bristol City's is Louis Carey. No stranger he to the nudge in the back, tug of the shirt, foot occasionally in a little longer etc - and often we needed that.

3. El Abd was not carted off to Bury because of the way he played the game but the fact he was utter shite.

My father also recalls one moment before I was born where in front of the Dolman Stand Mick Channon was racing towards a ball that he would easily have got (being one of the fasted players in the country) until he looked up and saw Norman Hunter (another City hero) heading for the ball.

Channon apparently wanted none of it.

Your argument is too revisionist. I was about to explain why but Port Said Red and Aussie have made fine arguments.

With all due respect mate, and I understand where you are coming from but 3 points from me -

1. John Atyeo would have lasted about 20 mins in today's game before being sent off for charging the keeper into the net. He'd have probably 200 cautions to his name too.

2. One of my heroes and Bristol City's is Louis Carey. No stranger he to the nudge in the back, tug of the shirt, foot occasionally in a little longer etc - and often we needed that.

3. El Abd was not carted off to Bury because of the way he played the game but the fact he was utter shite.

My father also recalls one moment before I was born where in front of the Dolman Stand Mick Channon was racing towards a ball that he would easily have got (being one of the fasted players in the country) until he looked up and saw Norman Hunter (another City hero) heading for the ball.

Channon apparently wanted none of it.

Point 1 is a total non argument, because if he was playing in the modern game anywhere from the 70's onwards, goalkeepers have been placed on the endangered species list so he wouldn't be doing what was acceptable back in the 50's/60's.

As for the guy sent off yesterday to quick for me to make a judgement however the minute I saw it, I immediately thought 'I wonder', so far Derry who is has an honorary Colin ****** degree in whingeing hasn't appeared to have even mentioned it, as far as I can see.

As for the guy sent off yesterday to quick for me to make a judgement however the minute I saw it, I immediately thought 'I wonder', so far Derry who is has an honorary Colin ****** degree in whingeing hasn't appeared to have even mentioned it, as far as I can see.

Derry has not complained about the card and none of their players looked particularly outraged either at the time.

Derry has not complained about the card and none of their players looked particularly outraged either at the time.

I suppose tomorrow will tell once the videos have been fully scrutinised.

Once more I have to say the scourge of diving, players who play act and set out to get a fellow pro sent off are the lowest form of life on the modern day football money orientated gravy train.

Looked nothing to it in my opinion, swindon seem to be getting the rub of the green lately but over the course of the season luck, good or bad tends to even itself out, in this case the game was already won anyway, btw, that Thompson seems to be a vile piece of work

Looked nothing to it in my opinion, swindon seem to be getting the rub of the green lately but over the course of the season luck, good or bad tends to even itself out, in this case the game was already won anyway, btw, that Thompson seems to be a vile piece of work

I'll be sure to pass it on.

See what the next week brings Rich, but reputation follows like a bad smell.

3 red cards this season (all last man offences) suggest that N.T. has been punished plenty this season.

Would it surprise you to learn that Nathan Thompson has won Player of the Season two seasons running (the latter surprised me)?

3 red cards this season (all last man offences) suggest that N.T. has been punished plenty this season.

Would it surprise you to learn that Nathan Thompson has won Player of the Season two seasons running (the latter surprised me)?

of course not, fans tend to love players who wear their heart on their sleeve, taking one for the team is different to inventing one for the team.

6th April....Welcome to hell

Let's really hope so, KITR.

Instead, I fear a bit of booing from us, plenty of Swindon noise taking over from that and them leaning over the tunnel gesticulating at the flag-bearers and whatknot, a bit of a response from the Atyeo (who mostly look startled at these reprobates in the ''away'' seats) and a ref who might cock things up for us.

I'd rather it was people in their seats really early, noise, colour, intimidation (this side of the line) and totally out-singing them for 90 mins with us fans putting in the noisiest, most continuous atmos for years.

And a win, obviously.

You seem to be a little bit "cockier" lately Rich, would hate to see you outstay your welcome as you have always come across as a decent chap

Perhaps my response was flippant but how did you want me to respond? Nathan Thompson isn't 'vile' but me making that argument would create pages of tiresome repetitive silliness (my responses only adds fuel the flames).

This thread shows that Swindon Town recently really annoyed/got to some City fans and now those people are checking our progress waiting for us to 'give it up' and magnifying every minor event along the way (some in this thread alone have posted outright lies and they are being considered as fact by its readership). It's quite flattering but I'm not getting cocky. Why would I? City are top of the division and nobody worth discussing is questioning why.

I think I'm out of the country with work in April, which is a shame. But whatever the result and whatever the timezone I'll be here to discuss, enjoy, bemoan and give credit where it's due. I'll be over-the-moon if Swindon are still challenging at that point. If Town and/or City aren't then most of the edge from the occasion will be gone (in my opinion).

Also, in my world, City and Swindon being in the top 2 is absolutely great.

At some point I might plant some deliberately hyperbolic pro-STFC/anti-BCFC comments on a Town forum just so they can be republished on OTIB as fact. This would be purely for my own amusement  :innocent06:

NLBR fans are always doing that but only at matches where they plant lots of City fans in with the away fans. This is purely for their later defence in Court.

I don't get you?

There was just so much angst and hate within your patronising, yet articulate, explanation of FFP that I just thought you needed a hug.

Some fellow OTIB posters responded with explanations of why all was well at Bristol City in that respect but you obviously missed them in favour of your loving* words about the club I support.

*Not very loving, at all.

Again although I would love to say every player that played for our club was capable of winning the FIFA fair play award single handed, I can't honestly say this is true. I would also like to say that heroes at this club are only those that adhere to the Atyeo principal, but this would be a lie also. Gerry Gow, Norman Hunter, Mick Harford and many others were players who ensured we had a "presence" and a deterrent to opposition foul play. In the current team I would say that WIlbraham likes to make his mark and is quite capable of taking his own revenge if the referee does not look like he is protecting him.

The hard men of yesteryear gave and took it. But to say they cheated to get a fellow pro sent off is almost certainly untrue. They kicked lumps out of each other and at the end of the game, usually went off together to have a drink in the players bar.

Hunter, Gow and the rest were NEVER seen to applaud a ref for giving a red card. City fans with long memories will remember John Quigley pleading with a top ref, Burns ?, at Tottenham NOT to send off Dave Mackay for a bad tackle. I somehow doubt Mr Stephens of Swindon would ever do that!

There is a big difference between being hard and cheating.

I've sat in with the home fans at the last two County Ground games. In truth, they're a reasonable bunch and there's less swearing than in the Dolman and Williams!

Because both teams are up there at the moment, we're going to squabble until one team falls away. That's life - nobody needs to take it to heart.

I don't like the way Swindon are diving and celebrating red/yellow cards but we're hardly a team of angels.

They've loaned players that most teams would not get access to (thanks to Power's agent contacts) but we've bought players that no other team could attract (thanks to Lansdown's ambition/money). In truth, there isn't much between the two teams apart from 5,000 more home fans at Ashton Gate.

Never lose sight of what Terry Cooper did for us and for that reason alone, give Mark Cooper the credit he deserves for taking Swindon to 2nd place.

I bl**dy well hope we win in April though.

Perhaps my response was flippant but how did you want me to respond? Nathan Thompson isn't 'vile' but me making that argument would create pages of tiresome repetitive silliness (my responses only adds fuel the flames).

This thread shows that Swindon Town recently really annoyed/got to some City fans and now those people are checking our progress waiting for us to 'give it up' and magnifying every minor event along the way (some in this thread alone have posted outright lies and they are being considered as fact by its readership). It's quite flattering but I'm not getting cocky. Why would I? City are top of the division and nobody worth discussing is questioning why.

I think I'm out of the country with work in April, which is a shame. But whatever the result and whatever the timezone I'll be here to

discuss, enjoy, bemoan and give credit where it's due. I'll be over-the-moon if Swindon are still challenging at that point. If Town and/or City aren't then most of the edge from the occasion will be gone (in my opinion).

Also, in my world, City and Swindon being in the top 2 is absolutely great.

Swindon certainly got to me last month, never had any great feelings one way or the other towards them in the many years I've been around, the way your player conned the ref after 80 seconds, the way that other guy celebrated the sending off and then that muppet Thompson running towards the City fans at the end really wound me up, other than that I like your manager, like the way you play football and am impressed with the very low average age of your team. One other thing, the way that away fans are treated at your ground is a disgrace

There was just so much angst and hate within your patronising, yet articulate, explanation of FFP that I just thought you needed a hug.

Some fellow OTIB posters responded with explanations of why all was well at Bristol City in that respect but you obviously missed them in favour of your loving* words about the club I support.

*Not very loving, at all.

Nah. I gotchya first time. I just thought I'd let you spell it all out. You seemed to need that hug yerself, look.

We appreciate fellow fans coming on, but, to coin a phrase...come on. FFP? What's not to get? I just couldn't resist the delectable irony of a Swindle fan not getting FFP. You're not wassisname Hillier in cognito are you? Farrar? King? One of the others? Willie Carson? Willie Nelson? Trevor Nelson? (I'll get it right in the end if I keep going).

Plus, you don't wanna hug me, real or virtual. I've got a beard that makes Roy Keane's look like bumfluff.

Nah. I gotchya first time. I just thought I'd let you spell it all out. You seemed to need that hug yerself, look.

We appreciate fellow fans coming on, but, to coin a phrase...come on. FFP? What's not to get? I just couldn't resist the delectable irony of a Swindle fan not getting FFP. You're not wassisname Hillier in cognito are you? Farrar? King? One of the others? Willie Carson? Willie Nelson? Trevor Nelson? (I'll get it right in the end if I keep going).

Plus, you don't wanna hug me, real or virtual. I've got a beard that makes Roy Keane's look like bumfluff.

Plus (can I have two pluses?) I've had a bad day. A really baaad day at the outlaws, so I'd be grateful if everyone could cut me some slack!

I think it is ironic that we spent the build up to the Swindon game laughing about their obsession with us and how they were determined to create a rivalry between us. Everyone agreed that we had no real animosity to them and that they weren't really on our radar as far as "local" derbies went. 

90 minutes later and they are public enemy number one and have managed to wind some people up to create exactly what they were looking for. Personally I think if we had just laughed at their antics and given them a damn good ignoring, they would have been totally frustrated. I could imagine them trying so hard to get a response out of us at the Gate that they would be coming up with even more outlandish schemes, things that even the most incompetent of referees would be able to spot.

I've read the posts from Rich STFC with some interest.  As another Town (I live and work in Bristol) I have read some of the threads on here without posting.  The title of this one got me interested.  In all honesty, I think the nature of what happened at the County Ground recently has stirred up some emotions..... and rightly so.  Football is supposed to do that.

I don't regard Bristol City as our main rival or a huge derby game, but with the lack of Oxford being in our league (and with no Rovers or Cardiff for you) this is the big one for the season, for both of us. I hope we are still 1st and 2nd come that game.  I'll be gagging for a ticket to see if the atmosphere is what you promise it will be.

Generally the away fans have the tendancy to be the loudest section of the ground these days, which is a shame.  I'd love to hear a rocking Ashton Gate like I did 20 odd years ago.  I'd also be interested to see how our players respond/react to it.

Archived