9. Connor Lemonheigh-Evans

10. Tom Fry

11. Jamie Horgan

12. Joe McNulty

13. Max O'Leary

14. Jack Alexander

15. James Difford

16. Matthew Mattis

Thank you Phantom ,i like "Long Last " in defence !

Good to see the youngsters getting some game time against older and better players .

I was told as a young un that you should always play those better than yourself in order to improve .

Thank you Phantom ,i like "Long Last " in defence !

Good to see the youngsters getting some game time against older and better players .

I was told as a young un that you should always play those better than yourself in order to improve .

Very wise words... I did that when learning to play Golf...got tonked everyday, but eventually got down to scratch, and ended up beating the ones I learnt off of.

You also learn to not fear losing...but most of all, how to achieve when under pressure and when it counts.

Very wise words... I did that when learning to play Golf...got tonked everyday, but eventually got down to scratch, and ended up beating the ones I learnt off of.

You also learn to not fear losing...but most of all, how to achieve when under pressure and when it counts.

Let's hope you're right cus the results this season haven't been great:

http://www.futbol24.com/national/England/U21-PDL-2/2014-2015/Regular-Season/liveTable/?_=1418670540332

How does the logic of "play them against older and better players, they'll learn from defeats" square with "don't play the youth, it'll demoralise them and could ruin their careers" which is what people said when there were calls to bring on youth players to the first team in the SOD disaster months?

How does the logic of "play them against older and better players, they'll learn from defeats" square with "don't play the youth, it'll demoralise them and could ruin their careers" which is what people said when there were calls to bring on youth players to the first team in the SOD disaster months?

It could demoralise them if they were thrown into the first team under the Spotlight and got beat up .

As U 21's i would hope that they are under less pressure to win but more oriented towards learning the game and improving against a higher level of opponent ,so if they make the step up it's not too much of a shock.

It could demoralise them if they were thrown into the first team under the Spotlight and got beat up .

As U 21's i would hope that they are under less pressure to win but more oriented towards learning the game and improving against a higher level of opponent ,so if they make the step up it's not too much of a shock.

But the call came at "dead rubber" games at the end of 12/13 when we were relegated anyway. There was no pressure - other than the challenge to perform with more heart than the senior players. Which it has to be said, wouldn't be hard.

there is a massive difference playing infront of 20 - 100 people and 11 - 12000 people. nerves take hold and us fans aren't the most forgiving bunch,

if you are good enough you will earn your place in the side like Joe Bryan has (my vote for player and young player of the season so far),

He was brought in slowly by Sod and Cotts and its now paying off as he;s use to the first team and has inproved ten-fold this season alone,

The the under 21's made up of mostly scholars will do is get use with playing with each other which if any do make it will help them out in the first team picture,

Results aren't important at under 21 and under 18 level as we as a club get nothing out of it, whats important is performances and whether the players are learning,

there is a massive difference playing infront of 20 - 100 people and 11 - 12000 people. nerves take hold and us fans aren't the most forgiving bunch,

if you are good enough you will earn your place in the side like Joe Bryan has (my vote for player and young player of the season so far),

He was brought in slowly by Sod and Cotts and its now paying off as he;s use to the first team and has inproved ten-fold this season alone,

The the under 21's made up of mostly scholars will do is get use with playing with each other which if any do make it will help them out in the first team picture,

Results aren't important at under 21 and under 18 level as we as a club get nothing out of it, whats important is performances and whether the players are learning,

Ok I'm maybe stretching the point to say this group of very young players could play in a competitive adult game, but I maintain we could and should have brought on some of the fringe-of-squad younger players in those end-of-season games after we'd been relegated. A number have established themselves in the adult game since. I find young players tend to play without fear and what they may miss in technique,they often compensate for in work rate and courage. But no, SOD opted to play the stiffs who had taken us down. So much for his youth policy....

Ok I'm maybe stretching the point to say this group of very young players could play in a competitive adult game, but I maintain we could and should have brought on some of the fringe-of-squad younger players in those end-of-season games after we'd been relegated. A number have established themselves in the adult game since. I find young players tend to play without fear and what they may miss in technique,they often compensate for in work rate and courage. But no, SOD opted to play the stiffs who had taken us down. So much for his youth policy....

didn't reid and bryan play in those games or were they out on loan?

other then them there was really no one who could of played

didn't reid and bryan play in those games or were they out on loan?

other then them there was really no one who could of played

If you remember the effort put in by the senior players for those games, you might as well selected members of the crowd to play. At least it would've been more entertaining.

If you remember the effort put in by the senior players for those games, you might as well selected members of the crowd to play. At least it would've been more entertaining.

I blanked it out  to be honest, as with most of SoD's reign it was uninspring rubbish,

I just don't remember any young player of any note worth playing,

we were also playing teams that ether weren't completely safe or still thought they could make the play-offs it isn't fair on the rest of the league to put out a weakened side (not that we had much strength),

I'm sure he had his reasons... managers often make decisions that baffle us, because we are often not privy to what is going on behind the scenes.

At least we seem to be progressing now...

I'd encourage anyone to go and watch our development players, with an eye on watching how they are developing from game to game, rather than the end result.

From what I've observed, our players now, are definitely more 'football astute' than they were before.

Is there any point to the academy with the amount of players we lose to other clubs? And coaches for that matter...

Very disheartening isn't it?

Hard to see much point unless we can at least keep the best players long enough to shine in our first team, at which stage they'd go with everyone's best wishes if the club gets a good fee for them.

Presuming they're local lads you'd think they'd at least want to make their mark at Ashton Gate, but deciding to stay with City if they get an offer from a Prem. club seems to be very much the exception.

Not even just PL clubs either if Davies is going to Fulham.

Archived