IGNORED

Undersoil Heating

bs3

Yes but it wont be in operation until the new south stand is finished as it will house the new boiler to heat it.

I'm sure Shedman would have let them put the boiler in his shed until the stand is ready.

This is indeed a most fascinating subject area, and one wonders why it has not been raised earlier.

Lets have some technical details please, e.g:-

a) Voltage system

b) Max current flow Vs temperature graph

c) Thickness of insulating cables

d) Equivalence examples e.g. Ashton Gate under-soil-heating = how many electric blankets??

Once again, us, the poor fans, are in an information vacuum.

HOW CAN WE LIVE LIKE THIS???

:gaah:

TFR

Well TFR maybe the heat to area transferance may depend on the type of flow through the undersoil piping. Depending upon the use of Laminar, Turbulent or Transitional flow velocity?.

Calculation of the Reynolds Number determines the type of flow required:

Re = (pvD / U)

P =density of flow liquid kg/m3

v =average velocity of fluid past cross section m/s

D =dia of pipe m

U =coefficient of absolute viscosity Ns/m

COME ON FFS SORT IT OUT.

Well TFR maybe the heat to area transferance may depend on the type of flow through the undersoil piping. Depending upon the use of Laminar, Turbulent or Transitional flow velocity?.

Re = (pvD / U)

D =dia of pipe m

COME ON FFS SORT IT OUT.

I've done the calculations and Re=6 or Tog 20 in old money, which I think is quite high?

Looks like Barnsley have under soil heating, yet their game tonight is off despite the heating being on since Boxing Day. So whats the lowest the temp can go for this heating to not have an effect?

MM

I think the Barnsley game has been called of due to safety concerns (ice) in the surrounding area. This makes me wonder what the point is of undersoil heating at all if games get called off for ice and snow away from the pitch.

I think the Barnsley game has been called of due to safety concerns (ice) in the surrounding area. This makes me wonder what the point is of undersoil heating at all if games get called off for ice and snow away from the pitch.

That certainly seems to be the more common cause for games being postponed.

I suppose what under soil heating does offer is it means the ground staff don't have to faff around with huge covers on the pitch on the days leading up to games. This gives them the time and energy to do other parts of their job. Furthermore, it can't be good for the pitch having covers on so the undersoil heating will help that too.

Having said that, if the weather is particularly snowy/ icey then the game will be called off anyway because of the surrounding areas being unsafe for fans.

I remember a game against Spurs when only two could play on the surface and they were bloody Argentinian!

This day and age the game would never have taken place, with all the ice around the ground.

Gerry Gow spent the entire match trying to kick them but couldn't get close. Sky often shows highlights of a first division match from the 70s when City lost 4-1 away to Everton. The pitch was unplayable from a football point of view, but it provided hilarious entertainment.

Gerry Gow spent the entire match trying to kick them but couldn't get close. Sky often shows highlights of a first division match from the 70s when City lost 4-1 away to Everton. The pitch was unplayable from a football point of view, but it provided hilarious entertainment.

the one from west brom away circa 79? looks even better

they had "snowboots"and we didnt

Waste of money having under soil heating

Games today dont get called off due to frozen pitches

they get called off due to the PC mob saying its unsafe to walk to the ground!!

Maybe wrong but I believe it's needed for getting the best ouf of the desso pitch as well.

I remember a game against Spurs when only two could play on the surface and they were bloody Argentinian!

This day and age the game would never have taken place, with all the ice around the ground

They let us in late as it was a last minute decision to go ahead with the match. Finished 0-0 with Ricky Villa MoM. Kendall, the Spurs keeper slipped and fell backwards and knocked himself out on the hard ground. I believe the British heavyweight champ at the time, John L Gardner, upon hearing that wanted Kendall lined up as his next opponent.

Re = (pvD / U)

D =dia of pipe m

COME ON FFS SORT IT OUT.

Or if using Mrs Downend's  calculation method for our central heating , just whack it up to max and going full tilt for as long as possible until it reaches nuclear on the thermometer.

Then she is "just comfortable"  - it's her circulation you know!

Archived