IGNORED

Benik Afobe

Clarky89

It's January tomorrow, so the big question is . . . are we in for the guy or not?

Many have highlighted a striker as a prime area of improvement - many have called for Afobe over Doyle (I'm one of those!)

Could our many Arsenal graduates be a key factor? Will the immediate chance to play in the Championship be too much of a pull?

Mr Stockhausen has indicated our 'target' is 21 which is a decent first sign!

Alongside the likes of Smith, Freeman and co - I think Afobe would start to turn us into a decent Championship looking outfit.

I just wonder if he has any sense of loyalty to MK Dons and his teammates there, and therefore might not want to sign for a promotion rival?

Or should I wake up and remember this is 2014 and the only thing that matters in football these days is the size of the cheque.

Fear not, for tomorrow it is 2015 ;)

If it is Afobe that would be a fantastic coup.

Make a statement, bring him in. He's a star in the making.

We missed out on Dicko last year but I think Afobe is even better. I am sure we can offer better than Millwall.

Only big disadvantage we have is location, he wouldn't necessarily have to relocate to go to Millwall.

Don't know if we have any interest in him but he certainly isn't against being out on loan. Huddersfield, Reading, Bolton, Millwall, Sheff Wed and now MK have all taken him. So if that proves anything maybe it means he isn't afraid of moving away from London.

If we were thinking of bringing him in permanently we would be dealing with Arsenal, and who knows if they want to sell. Wouldn't MK get first dibs and a better chance of him staying there, similar to our situation with Todd Kane. But who knows.

Cotterill and Co have a very persuasive way of selling Bristol City to incoming players. If they can't persuade players by showing them what we offer and all our potential, then they aren't the right players for us.

I like to think that the size of the cheque is not the ONLY thing that matters to the majority of people, particularly if it meant screwing over friends.

Not saying he shouldn't or wouldn't come here, I just wondered if it might factor into his thinking.

If we were to sign Afobe that would be a MASSIVE coup for us, taking the star striker from one of our promotion rivals and without them getting any money for him! 

Afobe signing would signal a big statement of intent, not just for cementing promotion this season but also looking to be real contenders back in the Championship.

In fact this is all 'too good to be true' and I very much doubt it will come off.... but there again I thought that with Freeman and we got him :yes:

I like to think that the size of the cheque is not the ONLY thing that matters to the majority of people, particularly if it meant screwing over friends.

Not saying he shouldn't or wouldn't come here, I just wondered if it might factor into his thinking.

It's work so they are collegues rather than proper mates - we are the only ones who genuinely care about our clubs

I'm sure if he's available and we offer him better terms than MK then he would (rightly) come here.

I don't think we have any chance of signing him. He's on a season long loan, I'd imagine MK have first refusal for starters.

Add to that he has stated his plans to return to Arsenal next summer.

Personally I think you lot are dreaming if you think there's any chance he will come here - I'm happy to be wrong though.

I don't think we have any chance of signing him. He's on a season long loan, I'd imagine MK have first refusal for starters.

Personally I think you lot are dreaming if you think there's any chance he will come here - I'm happy to be wrong though.

I would tend to agree with you. Plus Cotterill seemed pretty resigned to the fact that we would lose out to a Championship club (assuming it was Afobe he was referring to).

I think one thing in our favour is that he's at a club where realistically he's probably about 8th in the pecking order. He's 21 nearly 22 so the likelihood is if he hasn't established himself by now he probably won't at Arsenal.

Obviously I'm biased but a club like ours is exactly the sort of place he should be looking. Millwall are treading water, MK Dons will unravel when (not if) Robinson goes somewhere.

We have money, potential, a good young team and are going places.

I think one thing in our favour is that he's at a club where realistically he's probably about 8th in the pecking order. He's 21 nearly 22 so the likelihood is if he hasn't established himself by now he probably won't at Arsenal.

Obviously I'm biased but a club like ours is exactly the sort of place he should be looking. Millwall are treading water, MK Dons will unravel when (not if) Robinson goes somewhere.

We have money, potential, a good young team and are going places.

I do actually agree with your first statement, breaking into the arsenal team is probably unrealistic - just look at Henri Lansbury as an example of someone that got sent out on loan every season and eventually sold.

I guess it shows a good attitude from the lad that he wants to prove a point and head back there, perhaps if Arsenal tell him in January he's got no future there then his mind will change.

I do actually agree with your first statement, breaking into the arsenal team is probably unrealistic - just look at Henri Lansbury as an example of someone that got sent out on loan every season and eventually sold.

I guess it shows a good attitude from the lad that he wants to prove a point and head back there, perhaps if Arsenal tell him in January he's got no future there then his mind will change.

I would just love us to pull this off. Think he's excellent and a far better move than Doyle.

You're right about Lansbury and he's doing very well too.

Hope we can do it somehow..

Just been reading Stockhausen's comments on Twitter. He describes our January target as "a delicate situation" and says he won't even print the name in the paper yet. He denied one suggested name and then stopped replying when someone mentioned Afobe's name.

I'm just speculating of course but why would a journalist not want to name him? To avoid arousing interest from other clubs? Stockhausen gets a lot of stick on here but seems to me like he's trying to act responsibly in the interest of the club - fair play to him if that's the case.

Just been reading Stockhausen's comments on Twitter. He describes our January target as "a delicate situation" and says he won't even print the name in the paper yet. He denied one suggested name and then stopped replying when someone mentioned Afobe's name.

I'm just speculating of course but why would a journalist not want to name him? To avoid arousing interest from other clubs? Stockhausen gets a lot of stick on here but seems to me like he's trying to act responsibly in the interest of the club - fair play to him if that's the case._

I quite like him, he genuinely wants the best for city too.

I reckon the reason he's not publishing names is because it could damage his relationship with the club if he lets any secret out that could potentially damage a move.

I quite like him, he genuinely wants the best for city too.

I reckon the reason he's not publishing names is because it could damage his relationship with the club if he lets any secret out that could potentially damage a move.

I've never understood the dislike for him. As you say it's clear he wants the club to do well, and he always comes across really well on Twitter.

What a statement of intent it would be if we pulled this one off. Sadly can't see it though and would be very surprised if he came here as championship clubs will surely be sniffing around. Then again most of us felt the same with regards to Freeman and SC pulled it off. Fingers crossed.

• Admin

I've never understood the dislike for him. As you say it's clear he wants the club to do well, and he always comes across really well on Twitter.

Agree that since following AS on Twitter I've have read a different aspect to his reporting which I find really informative - he also sorted me out with something personally recently which I am grateful for.

I believe the stick comes from years ago, when often stories that appeared in the EP were similar to topics that appeared on here.

Anyway back on track, have I missed something but has it actually been inferred anywhere that we are in for Afobe or is it the usual 2+2=5 thing?

Agree that since following AS on Twitter I've have read a different aspect to his reporting which I find really informative - he also sorted me out with something personally recently which I am grateful for.

I believe the stick comes from years ago, when often stories that appeared in the EP were similar to topics that appeared on here.

Anyway back on track, have I missed something but has it actually been inferred anywhere that we are in for Afobe or is it the usual 2+2=5 thing?

Process of elimination I think. Stockhausen replied to posts about other targets but not Afobe. Afobe is 21 which stockhausen confirmed was the age.

Mix of educated guesswork and what you can infer from AS's tweets

Thought this was interesting cfba6f30c15cd27b6a0f7358080a3df0.jpg

Is he not on loan until the end of the season though?

Yes, according to Wiki he's on a Season's loan.

Does anyone know if there are there 2 sorts of loan deals i.e. recall and no recall, or are all loan deals possible recalls?

If not then he's with the Dongs until the end of the season then?

If it's a recall situation then Arsenal will have to recall him, to sell him?

At the end of the day even if SL would find the Dosh I reckon Afobe would like to stay at Arsenal, but stranger things have happened :)  :fingerscrossed:

I'm just speculating of course but why would a journalist not want to name him? To avoid arousing interest from other clubs? Stockhausen gets a lot of stick on here but seems to me like he's trying to act responsibly in the interest of the club - fair play to him if that's the case.

It's simply logical self interest.

Stockhausen appears to get on ok with Cotterill and it would be career suicide for him to reveal transfer targets if he's been made aware of them in the strictest confidence.

I do think overall his articles are much better of late though personally I could do without the City "facing striker crisis" and "rivals hot on our heels" type of reporting we seem to see occasionally, especially when contrasted with the ridiculously optimistic propaganda adopted by whoever it is that reports on the blue few these days.

Hold your horses! Think this one is another massive non-starter.

First off, Afobe is on a season long loan at MK Dons who are doing (pretty much) as well as us. He's playing, scoring and doing really well. Considering he's on loan there for the season is it even possible for us to sign him permanently in January? I mean in order for that to happen Arsenal would have to have a recall clause and then would want to sell him. Why would they? He signed a new contract there in the summer so they're clearly in no rush to shift him on in a rush, especially as he's doing so well. There's nothing really in it for arsenal to sell in January.

As for Afobe himself, why would you want to move mid-season? It's not exactly a step up from MK to us. At the moment he's only on loan so could keep his options open for the summer. It makes no sense for him to move now. Yes, he may be tempted at a move to the championship, but not to us.

I'm sorry ladies and gents but no way is this happening.

Archived