IGNORED

Freeman

CITYAREREDANDWHITE

Interesting replies. Fair enough - innocent until proven guilty as you rightly say. 

Kibs this was my second tweet about the incident: "Just spoke to the @sufcofficial fan who was spat at by @bcfctweet's Luke Freeman. Absolutely disgusting." 

Robin 101 - I DID see the incident, I just couldn't tell if the spit reached the fans in the stand. However at full time I spoke to a young lady who was talking to the steward, who also saw it happen, and she said that the spit hit her. I'm not sure why she would lie about that? 

A tweet from a Hull City supporter who was at the game: "@HumbersideSport @mikewhitesport I was at the game as a neutral and saw Freeman spit at a section of S****horpe fans. Disgusting behaviour." Again, why would he make this up? 

S****horpe have said they will investigate and we'll see what happens I guess.

S****horpe can do what they want he is our player and if true he will be dealt with by Us.

Interesting replies. Fair enough - innocent until proven guilty as you rightly say. 

Kibs this was my second tweet about the incident: "Just spoke to the @sufcofficial fan who was spat at by @bcfctweet's Luke Freeman. Absolutely disgusting." 

Robin 101 - I DID see the incident, I just couldn't tell if the spit reached the fans in the stand. However at full time I spoke to a young lady who was talking to the steward, who also saw it happen, and she said that the spit hit her. I'm not sure why she would lie about that? 

A tweet from a Hull City supporter who was at the game: "@HumbersideSport @mikewhitesport I was at the game as a neutral and saw Freeman spit at a section of S****horpe fans. Disgusting behaviour." Again, why would he make this up? 

"I did see the incident,i just couldn't tell if the spit reached the the fans in the stand"

thank you aiden

I am in no way condoning this but presumably if you are an eye witness, you can shed light on the form of abuse that was being made towards him, because if true the consensus of opinion is that this is completely out of character, somebody must have really hit a nerve, especially with the game being all but won.

All hearsay; sorry.

You claim to be a journalist, but you're just repeating what others have said without any varification beyond people backing up what others have said on public forums like twitter, which is rife with (for a lack of any better term) bollocks.

All it takes is a few folks in the stand to swear blind that it happened, and suddenly it's a fact.

As for why make a false accusation; have you considered they weren't best pleased that their team were being beaten, and had perceived grievances over the injuries to the goal keepers?

I don't know; seems pretty clear why someone MIGHT make it up. I mean, I'm not a journalist, but I can see why that might happen.

If Freeman did indeed spit at the S****horpe fans, and this can be proven, he deserves whatever punishment he gets. But until it is more than the words of angry, already aggrieved fans, I'll hold off condemning him.

You'll not find many defending him if it is proven; but it does seem remarkably out of character and he does certainly deserve the benefit of the doubt

If it can be positively demonstrated he directly spat towards the fans with intent I, and no doubt many others, would back stringent discipline; internally and from the authorities.

But I'm sorry and despite some 'tweets' and your lofty trade I don't believe it. There may have been some ill fortune which resulted in an unfortunate incident, but I do not believe Luke Freeman would have been capable of what he is accused of.

Esmond - I am a eye witness as you say but unfortunately I can't shed any light on the abuse that he was given as I sit near to the back of the stand. However the spit was in clear view of everyone sat in that section of the Clugston Stand. I'd say about at least 50 other people saw it happen with most reacting with anger to it as you would expect. 

Samo II - How is it hearsay if I saw him spit towards the S****horpe fans? It certainly isn't a false accusation and I've got no business in making anything up. The woman I spoke to was fuming and I took her word that it hit her. But it is her word and that's why I said I couldn't confirm it in my first post. 

29AR - Unfortunately it did happen. I agree it may be out of character but we all make stupid mistakes. He turned around and spat directly towards the S****horpe fans. That is what I and many others saw. 

I appreciate it may be hard to comprehend but it was a disgusting act and I hope, if found guilty, he is punished accordingly. 

Hello guys,

Before I start I'm not bitter about losing. You are clearly a good side/one of the best in the league and I thought we matched you well considering the circumstances. I also work as a journalist in the football industry so i'd like to think you can take my word as found.

Unfortunately I can confirm this incident did occur near the end of the game. Luke Freeman (no.15) was receiving some abuse from the Iron supporters in the Clugston Stand - opposite side to tunnel and dugouts. Freeman was stood on the sidelines, heard someone shout something, turned around and spat directly at the home fans with the spit travelling over the wall towards the fans. I was told afterwards that it hit a young women in the stand but I can not confirm that is the case.

I have no reason to lie and many of other supporters in the stand can also confirm this did happen. S****horpe have already said they are investigating the issue.

You may be right that the footage could be lacking as the game had moved on but stewards in the stand saw the incident have reported it to the club.

I like Freeman, think he's a good player but what he did was completely out of order in any walk of life. It is in fact a criminal offence (Google El Hadj Diouf spitting at fan) and I hope that the severest punishment necessary is taken by Bristol City and the Football League/FA. I'm sure no one on this forum would condone this disgusting act despite supporting the team he plays for.

Aside from that good luck for rest of the season.

I hope the 'woman' wasn't an 'ethnic minority disabled woman'. That would definitely make it worse.

Esmond - I am a eye witness as you say but unfortunately I can't shed any light on the abuse that he was given as I sit near to the back of the stand. However the spit was in clear view of everyone sat in that section of the Clugston Stand. I'd say about at least 50 other people saw it happen with most reacting with anger to it as you would expect. 

Samo II - How is it hearsay if I saw him spit towards the S****horpe fans? It certainly isn't a false accusation and I've got no business in making anything up. The woman I spoke to was fuming and I took her word that it hit her. But it is her word and that's why I said I couldn't confirm it in my first post. 

29AR - Unfortunately it did happen. I agree it may be out of character but we all make stupid mistakes. He turned around and spat directly towards the S****horpe fans. That is what I and many others saw. 

I appreciate it may be hard to comprehend but it was a disgusting act and I hope, if found guilty, he is punished accordingly. 

All I can say is with game already won and the consensus of opinion being that this appears to have been totally out of character, I am left thinking the abuse must have something really personal and beyond the pale for that sort of reaction.

You could see the spit but you couldn't hear the abuse.......... what a belter

Wouldn't matter if it was - if he's proved to have spat at someone then I hope he gets a 10 game ban. And to clarify I mean actually spit on someone and it hits them, not just in their direction.

Would rather be punched than that.

who are you ?

Can't stand spitting but 10 was over the top I will admit - I would like to think the club would deal with it appropriately but I guess looking at the replys I would be more severe than others.

Why don't you just clear off pal. I bet you're a tree lover who used to wear hotpants to school!

Wow!!

Whoever SBCity is, he's perfectly entitled to his opinion, so no need to tell him to clear off.  Different opinions, no need for the animosity.

For what it's worth, I think Freeman has been our best player this season, and will be a crucial part of our run-in, but IF he's proven to have done something like this, then he should rightly be banned.  I don't understand why anyone would defend this - IF proven.  I don't want us to lose him, but if he's spat at a fan intentionally, then he will be banned.

What would your reaction be Mr Marksy, if this story was emanating from a Woking fan vs Rovers today?

Was it the same woman that also said Flint spat at the Scunny fans as well?

Wow!!

Whoever SBCity is, he's perfectly entitled to his opinion, so no need to tell him to clear off.  Different opinions, no need for the animosity.

For what it's worth, I think Freeman has been our best player this season, and will be a crucial part of our run-in, but IF he's proven to have done something like this, then he should rightly be banned.  I don't understand why anyone would defend this - IF proven.  I don't want us to lose him, but if he's spat at a fan intentionally, then he will be banned.

What would your reaction be Mr Marksy, if this story was emanating from a Woking fan vs Rovers today?

I agree in essence, my only thought would be, what about a momentary loss of control to a "I hope" a member of your family "dies of cancer" or similar abuse?, you; others and the journo might never have heard this type of abuse from a football crowd before but I have?.

Saw 50 people witness it but didn't see if it actually hit someone...??? Did you see any evidence of such "spittle" on said "woman". No, thought not.

As many as 50...? Scunnys form for accusations, freeman's character, conditions, common sense, his 'believe me, im a hack' line, his unawares what was said.... All leads me comfortably to bullcrap.

Still, if proven I'd back a severe punishment.

As many as 50...? Scunnys form for accusations, freeman's character, conditions, common sense, his 'believe me, im a hack' line, his unawares what was said.... All leads me comfortably to bullcrap.

Still, if proven I'd back a severe punishment.

Thats what Mr Reporter said......

All I can say is with game already won and the consensus of opinion being that this appears to have been totally out of character, I am left thinking the abuse must have something really personal and beyond the pale for that sort of reaction.

Shouldn't matter in my opinion.

He's a professional footballer and if he did do it, he should have thicker skin.

I work in a job where I get personal abuse and spat at every single day, but I don't spit at people.

And yes, I need a new job,

I agree in essence, my only thought would be, what about a momentary loss of control to a "I hope" a member of your family "dies of cancer" or similar abuse?, you; others and the journo might never have heard this type of abuse from a football crowd before but I have?.

Indeed Es, there may well be so extremely understandable mitigating circumstances, which will all come out in the wash.  I've had momentary losses of control during my life, and had to suffer the consequences of my actions.

All's I'm saying is that IF proven, he'll be banned, and deservedly so.  Can't quite understand why SBCity would receive such abuse from someone for suggesting so?

edit - Oh, and don't worry mate, I've heard plenty from the terraces.

Archived