IGNORED

There You Go

Esmond Million's Bung

Interesting but flawed..... If you lived in Manchester or Liverpool, wouldn't you be more likely to buy direct from the club than head to your local Sports Direct??????

Not surprised at the number of Liverpool shirts sold in Bristol. I'm based up north. If you go to places like Preston, Blackpool, Burnley all you'll see are there colours.

What like Manu fans did?.

Don't understand your point.... I'm just suggesting that Liverpool based Liverpool fans might be more inclined to shop in a club shop than sports direct. An option that's not so easy for a Bristol based Liverpool "fan". Unless there's a Liverpool club shop in broadmead.....

Yes some young kids who are born and bred in Bristol do support prem teams but you can also take in to account outside the area students and people who are working short term here.

Bristol has a very large population of uni students that don't come from Bristol living here while they study so it could be the case a lot of them support Liverpool  and while in Bristol they are buying their teams shirts here.

Yes some young kids who are born and bred in Bristol do support prem teams but you can also take in to account outside the area students and people who are working short term here.

Bristol has a very large population of uni students that don't come from Bristol living here while they study so it could be the case a lot of them support Liverpool and while in Bristol they are buying their teams shirts here.

Tbh I doubt many students have the budget to be splashing out in replica kits

It is sad, but lets face the facts, unless it is someone (like me with my boy) who is intent on passing on the BCFC birthright on to their kids, then people havent had much reason to support either bristol team in the last 6-7 years. Only this season are we doing ok, but we have had some awful players over that time blagging a contract, and very few who can capture the imagination of kids. Liverpool have had torres and suarez in that time, and all the top premier league teams have had top players too who kids can admire.

The people in charge of football in this city only have themselves to blame im afraid - just to quantify that, as a benefactor, SL has been great for the club, but he has been let down by the people underneath him and some of the players he has paid handsomely, in my opinion, and deserved better.

There are two obvious reasons why PL clubs shirt are so popular, especially the bigger PL clubs. It's largely down to TV exposure.

1)The PL is broadcast world wide via Sky and historically the bigger PL clubs have had a substantial fan base both in the UK and world wide. MOTD also plays a significant part in impressing kids.

2) There are a huge number of 'glory hunters' who enjoy their team doing well and buy the various PL shirts for themselves or their kids. It's all about the imagined 'prestige' that goes with success.

Imagine wearing a Bristol City shirt around Manchester or Liverpool? Most of the locals wouldn't even know what league we are in. Why? Because Bristol City are and have never been a PL club.

Had the team of 1970's established the club in the old first division and City been in the PL at the beginning then the locals of both the aforementioned City's would know.

Archived