IGNORED

Making Ourself Look Tinpot?

Aipearcey

Don't get me wrong I'm looking forward to Sunday and I understand that west ham are a premier league team with a lot of history but is all the excitement really justified? It was only a few seasons ago we were playing them in league fixtures. I think it's a great gesture by the club or sponsor to give out the free scarfs, but I could understand it more if we were playing a man utd or a chelsea. This along with the press and the comments made by fans on itv the other night just disappointed me a little as it shows how far thing have changed between the two clubs and how people including our fans percive us as a small club.

I agree to an extent - the yeovil vs Man Utd coverage puzzled me as Yeovil almost marketed it as a real David vs Goliath, almost non league classic cup tie. Found it really strange. (Can't say I'm too surprised considering a member of their media personnel!)

I don't think we've gone that far thankfully, there's always that temptation to go with that default narrative.

I agree with some of it. West Ham just doesn't excite me....as you say, we were only playing them in the league a couple of years ago.

The scarves though....I think it's to try and add a bit of colour and atmosphere to the ground.

Let's be honest....our atmosphere at home this season has been shocking

I agree with some of it. West Ham just doesn't excite me....as you say, we were only playing them in the league a couple of years ago.

The scarves though....I think it's to try and add a bit of colour and atmosphere to the ground.

Let's be honest....our atmosphere at home this season has been shocking

I'm probably being hypocritical here, but I'll certainly be picking up my freebie scarf and taking it home for one of the kids, but this idea of everyone swinging it around their head at the same time is a little manufactured in my eyes.

Atmosphere at a football match should be spontaneous and fan driven not orchestrated by the club.

I can remember when we played in div 2 with Man u and the gas.....so? things change in football as well as life, and? you obviously care what others think, I couldn't give a sh 1te;

This will always be my club whatever div they are in, yes things have changed but even the mighty fall.

Neither West Ham or Everton are huge clubs. Average first division clubs, I think it's just the fact we've reached the 4th round and we are on BBC with an estimated 8 million people watching.

I think that's what has made this tie more exciting than the opposition.

I dont see West Ham as big draw at all personally. As you said we playing them at league level in 2012..

We've only played them about 30 times in our entire history because they've spent a large proportion of their history in the top flight.

I get the fact we played them recently but I'm a little surprised people don't see it as a big draw or excited by it. West Ham are a big, big club with a massive fan base.

If we turn them over on Sunday then I'd have thought it will be a game and result remembered for a long time (especially given the absence of cup upsets in our recent history).

We've only played them about 30 times in our entire history because they've spent a large proportion of their history in the top flight.

I get the fact we played them recently but I'm a little surprised people don't see it as a big draw or excited by it. West Ham are a big, big club with a massive fan base.

If we turn them over on Sunday then I'd have thought it will be a game and result remembered for a long time (especially given the absence of cup upsets in our recent history).

I wouldn't call West Ham a 'big big' club.

It's a great idea, creating a good image in front of national TV. West Ham are not a particulary big draw but the scarves , pitch, ground development etc shows where we are going as a club to a massive audience.

Like previously said give the scarf to a young lad you know, it's got to be better than all those plastic flags Chelsea regularly put out.

I think we're giving West Ham too much respect here. Yes, they're a decent sized club but they are not Madrid.

We can easily turn em over! You Reds!

Personally, more interested in seeing how we look against an in form top league side.

Our tactics may surprise them. Quality aside, Man Utd went for a similar formation to ours and failed, almost miserably. 

Off the top of my head, the only sides who have made this work (off the top of my head) are us, Swindon and Watford.

So.........

Not quite excited, more interested about the test. Our best test this season.

and of course Everton who have achieved sweet FA for nigh on 30 years, would have been great?.

I get your point mate but they did win the FA Cup 20 years ago.

I think if we are gonna draw a premier club we'll only be happy with a real big massive one home or away, anything else is a bit of an anti climax but I must admit I wanted West Ham not Everton.

It could have been worse though!

I'd put WHU as decent sized, but no more. Big compared to us, granted, but in the grand scheme of things and as far as potential FA cup opponents come they are not BIG in imo.

Without bring disrespectful to WH, I would've much preferred Everton, who I'd say are just across that invisible BIG line.

I do think that there seems to be an out sized sense of excitement surrounding this tie, especially considering we're not having a bad season, but I'll put that down to the fact that we have been starved of any real cup pedigree for far too long.

but I'll put that down to the fact that we have been starved of any real cup pedigree for far too long.

I think that's the crux of it really. Over recent years we've been deal in the cup, so to get a top half prem team at home on the box I completely get the excitement.

I would preferred Everton, who despite a lack of recent success ARE a big club. And in fairness to them, in respect of the comment that they've done nothing for 30 years, they won the cup 20 years ago and in the last ten years have played often in Europe, including a campaign in the Champions League. They certainly aren't tin pot!

I think that's the crux of it really. Over recent years we've been deal in the cup, so to get a top half prem team at home on the box I completely get the excitement.

I would preferred Everton, who despite a lack of recent success ARE a big club. And in fairness to them, in respect of the comment that they've done nothing for 30 years, they won the cup 20 years ago and in the last ten years have played often in Europe, including a campaign in the Champions League. They certainly aren't tin pot!

Was about to post the same. They have had reasonable success. Just to mention tho that their 'Champions League campaign' was just one tie in the qualifying rounds!

Kind of agree with the OP's sentiment but I just got a message from my mate who lives in Dubai who said he cant wait to see us on TV over there, so that kind of puts it into perspective - a big big audience awaits and I think we're going to produce the goods!

Kind of agree with the OP's sentiment but I just got a message from my mate who lives in Dubai who said he cant wait to see us on TV over there, so that kind of puts it into perspective - a big big audience awaits and I think we're going to produce the goods!

Maybe Nick Higgs has accidentally bigged us up rather than the other lot!

I get your point mate but they did win the FA Cup 20 years ago.

I think if we are gonna draw a premier club we'll only be happy with a real big massive one home or away, anything else is a bit of an anti climax but I must admit I wanted West Ham not Everton.

It could have been worse though!

and Portsmouth won it 7 years ago and Wigan 2 years ago, so yes it could have been a whole lot worse.

But they are prem club and deserve respect as such.

I just can't understand the doom and gloom in such a great season so far and given the past 5/6 years, just enjoy it for what it is FFS a 4th round FA cup match against a prem side and judging by their Yeovil game and tonights game, we dodged a bullet by missing out on Manu because they are shit.

I totally agree with OP and it could only have been worse if the Club decided those utterly ridiculous clapper board things would have been a good idea.

Credit to the Club for thinking of ways to create a atmosphere, but we are not some little League Teo outfit who've never been involved in a decent cup tie and I think it will all look a bit cheesy. Anyone want mine?.....

Archived