IGNORED

If I Had A Billion

NickJ

I'll stick with Steve L thanks! Like it or not football is changing and we need to change with it too! For years Bristol has been called a sleeping giant and everybody moans about our lack of sporting ambition and success, well Bristol Sport is our greatest chance of getting Bristol sport including Bristol City on the map and actually achieving something. That haven't renamed us Bristol Sport and we still retain our Bristol City identity so what's the problem?

Lets get behind them, achieve success and put Bristol on the map for the right reasons!

somewhere there are probably still people pissed off that we changed our name from Bristol south end and moved from St Johns lane.

I've heard the atmosphere there was amazing, the grass was greener and that every fan had a personalised silk scarf.

However, you did have to pee into a bottle (even the women) and eat directly off the terrace.

perhaps I would spend my billion on a return to the good old days.

If it was up to me M you would get the job of chief optimist :)

Really? Oh dear, I'm not sure I'm qualified for that.

And on another note, surely Robbored is more suited to away travel, with a fleet of minibuses at his disposal?

To answer this question semi-sensibly, I'd buy into the club and its board rather than try to take it over.

Steve Lansdown deserves massive respect for what he has done for the club: keeping it afloat when other clubs of similar size have gone through financial meltdowns, and financing by himself the refurbishment of an outdated and unfit-for-purpose ground.

As a board member I'd push for a couple of fans to be included in the set up on a revolving basis - giving the club a couple of voices from the terrace - and maybe a retired senior player for their unique insight. These board reps wouldn't be able to outvote the money men, that would be unfair, but their views would get a proper top-level hearing.

As for Bristol Sport, with a rugby club sharing the ground, and other teams within Lansdown's portfolio, it's sensible to have some sort of umbrella organisation that can liaise, deal with sponsorship, stadium issues and negotiate to get economies of scale going on.

I'd - of course - make sure those who worked there were sensitive to the sensibilities of City fans, who are after all the original and biggest component of the group. I'd scale back the BS branding too!

and Steve was a willing seller I'd buy him out, give the club back to the fans, and politely ask Bristol Sport to do one. Actually not very polite.

I'd make Blagdon Red Fans Liaison Officer and Thatcham Red Chairman.

Sixtyseconds would be minister without portfolio and Sir Colby-Tit would be the modern era Stoney Garnett.

Harry would be Chief Scout and Gamon Head of Communications (see ziderheads for this lads natural aptitude for the job).

Phantom Managing Director and Dollymarie could be his secretary because that's a girls job.

Forza Revolution, obviously would make it onto the team as Stadium Manager.

Eastonboy, Kevinmabbutshair, Phileas Fogg, Glyn Riley and Randy Marsh are on the board of directors.

Tomarse is IT and hey presto ticketing works.

Ole gets to run the club shop.

GrahamC and Nogbad the Bad are joint Life Presidents.

Ciderhead club historian.

Don't know what Kid in the Riot would do probably statistician.

I'd give Robbored, Aizoon, Nibor and BCFCAGC or whatever the **** he calls himself a second chance.

Away travel would be free on independent coaches with an obligatory piss up there and back and I would look after that side of things.

And I would personally hand deliver P45's to every single employee of Bristol Sport.

What would you do with a billion?

Why, thank you good Sir. I'm not wearing a silly hat with a feather in it though!

A billion pounds and not so much as a free scarf?!?

Well stuff this corporate rabble, ruining our club and ignoring the fans. We have been here long before you swanned in with your nouveau dosh and we will be here long after you move on.

Sack the bloody board!

Like I asked on another thread, how are Bristol Sport actually going to achieve all of that for us?

I suppose the answer lies in looking at Barcelona, SL has said that is what he has modelled this process on. It would go without saying that the first thing would be to focus on getting success on the pitch/court in the sports that are part of the group and through that success expand the name into the wider world. That in succession expands the kind of brands that wish to be associated with us. As an example maybe shirt sponsorship draws more money if it is spread across all the teams, the corporate boxes are more of a draw if more sports and events are offered to the corporations? I am not in marketing or businessman but I can see some areas where there are advantages in being under one banner, but whilst holding an identity within that banner. I think the idea that we would lose that identity is a spurious one, Barcelona are Barcelona to anyone you ask, not the conglomeration to which they belong.

Like I asked on another thread, how are Bristol Sport actually going to achieve all of that for us?

By bringing all the different clubs under 1 roof it allows us to market ourselves better and gain more interest in all the sports under the Bristol Sport heading, including Bristol City.

Most importantly it will help us get our finances together which is probably the over riding factor as to why we've gone down the Bristol Sport route.

Stand alone Bristol City was losing money like there was no tomorrow and with FFP this is more important than ever!

We'll be more commercially appealing with multiple teams, (classic case of synergy, 2+2=5 and all that), with a brand new stadium and being more about the community and the whole of Bristol while reducing costs as well.

I can see why people are concerned about losing our identity but listen to what SL says about Barcelona and how they aren't just Barcelona football team they are much more than that, they have Basketball amongst many other sports, and to me they aren't a team without an identity.

We are not renaming ourselves as Bristol Sport, we are still Bristol City. If we are a sleeping giant and want the whole of Bristol to be behind us we need to be part of the community and make them notice us. Bristol Sport will have more of an impact than Bristol City alone.

With a stronger financial footing and a more sustainable football club generally along with better marketing and promotion as a whole this gives us a better chance of success and a secure long term future.

Archived