IGNORED

Lessons Learned Today ?

Major Isewater

I'm nit picking Roger. We looked a threat in the air but not up top on the ground

There was a reason for that, which seems to have escaped you, JET never once partnered Smith up front and as the game went on he went deeper and deeper, so there was nobody to pick up flick on's so effectively we played one up front, now of course that may well have been his instructions but somehow I doubt he was meant to be as deep as he played.

We had a break in the first half and I kept thinking to myself WTF is JET, I could see Ayling and Williams involved in the attack and just as the attack was breaking down (a point at which we needed JET to be involved) JET ambled into the picture just over the half way line, i'm not having a go at JET but that is what happened.

Seriously? Write him off after one game against a team 7th in one of the best leagues in the world.

I thought he and Smith at times were frightenly good and bossed it. On today's evidence Saville will be a superb signing.

Good - I hope you're right. I was asking a question (clue was in the question mark at the end of my point) which is hardly writing him off. On the TV he made a couple of dangerous unforced mistakes which the commentators pointed out and apart from that it was hard to see on the TV.

We win when we're on Sky TV. We lose when we're on BBC.

Sam Allardyce chewing his gum is not a pretty sight. Shut yer gob!

Pink footballs are a no-no and should be consigned to Room 101.

If the Bristol Sport PR machine lies to the fans .... it will be found out and forced to back down. Don't try it again!

Learnt that if both our match winners - Freeman & Jet - have an off day against Premier League opposition we don't win.

Defence was superb, as were the wing-backs. Midfield also strong. Well done lads.

Freeman not in midfield then?

Freeman was a danger all game, he was the only flare player on the field all game to find space and he found that space all game and bearing in mind Downing is being talked about in terms of the national team again, he was poor today. Freeman and JET both played their part, but final balls tended to either hit the first defender or was the wrong option.

Yep and he had an OK game... but neither Freeman or JET had that 'magic moment' that both are well-capable of producing and will turn a game. Neither scored or created a gilt edged chance for someone else. We needed that today to unlock their defence or, at least give them something else to think about as - by the end of the match - Smith had about 4 marking him, just waiting for the high cross.

Don't get me wrong, I love Freeman. For me, today, he just didn't shine as brightly as he normally does.

Yep and he had an OK game... but neither Freeman or JET had that 'magic moment' that both are well-capable of producing and will turn a game. Neither scored or created a gilt edged chance for someone else. We needed that today to unlock their defence or, at least give them something else to think about as - by the end of the match - Smith had about 4 marking him, just waiting for the high cross.

Don't get me wrong, I love Freeman. For me, today, he just didn't shine as brightly as he normally does.

Fair enough, it's a game of opinions of course.

Freeman was a danger all game, he was the only flare player on the field all game to find space and he found that space all game and bearing in mind Downing is being talked about in terms of the national team again, he was poor today. Freeman and JET both played their part, but final balls tended to either hit the first defender or was the wrong option.

I thought JET was a passenger for most of the game

There was a reason for that, which seems to have escaped you, JET never once partnered Smith up front and as the game went on he went deeper and deeper, so there was nobody to pick up flick on's so effectively we played one up front, now of course that may well have been his instructions but somehow I doubt he was meant to be as deep as he played.

We had a break in the first half and I kept thinking to myself WTF is JET, I could see Ayling and Williams involved in the attack and just as the attack was breaking down (a point at which we needed JET to be involved) JET ambled into the picture just over the half way line, i'm not having a go at JET but that is what happened.

This sums up the problem with JET. He doesn't partner anybody in any formation. When he has a good day, all is forgiven. When he has an off day, the team is a player short.

Fair enough, it's a game of opinions of course.

of course it is mate, Freeman played well throughout the game of that there is no doubt, he impressed all of the gravy train pundits today, with how he managed to find space throughout the game, that is a premiership skill, he is probably the best player in this league and along with Ayling, Flint and Korey Smith probably has a long list of suitors from higher leagues.

Good - I hope you're right. I was asking a question (clue was in the question mark at the end of my point) which is hardly writing him off. On the TV he made a couple of dangerous unforced mistakes which the commentators pointed out and apart from that it was hard to see on the TV.

An interesting question to ask off the back of his first start. To me he looked very assured and did a lot of things that went unnoticed. Competed very well. I can't recall any dangerous unforced mistakes though.

It's all JET's fault....

I don't think anybody is saying that, JET played well and played his part in a great team performance but today we had 2 players playing free roles and probably it was a day when we needed a partner for Smith up front.

An interesting question to ask off the back of his first start. To me he looked very assured and did a lot of things that went unnoticed. Competed very well. I can't recall any dangerous unforced mistakes though.

I agree with most of that, he did misdirect a pass under no pressure very early on in the 2nd half and but for Ayling's timely intervention, we could have conceded. But he looks very accomplished and uncomplicated and might allow Korey Smith to get forward more, looks like he's got a good engine.

I don't think anybody is saying that, JET played well and played his part in a great team performance but today we had 2 players playing free roles and probably it was a day when we needed a partner for Smith up front.

I agree with most of that, he did misdirect a pass under no pressure very early on in the 2nd half and but for Ayling's timely intervention, we could have conceded. But he looks very accomplished and uncomplicated and might allow Korey Smith to get forward more, looks like he's got a good engine.

I thought JET put in a shift today but his touch was off. I think everyone agreed we needed a pacy striker to run in behind. I can only assume Agard wasn't fit enough to be risked for very long as it was crying out for him with about 30 to go.

Would have been interesting to see what happened if we managed to turn them round a bit as we became very reliant on M.Smith's physical prescence.

We showed that we are a footballing club, not a hoof it and mix it brigade.

Finishing not clinical enough. Occasionally we try to play too much instead of shooting early.

A speedy striker is necessary to break down Prem defences. Maybe a fit Agard would have done better than Jet.

But on the whole, we did alright, were not outplayed and contributed to an entertain Cup tie, rather than a rip roaring one.

Now for promotion.

was it Joe Bryans first big match on the tv, from what i saw,both him and Derek Williams also deserve a big mention,Joe mixed it with the big boys without batting an eyelid and Williams looked brimming with confidence.

best ive seen us on tv for some time,also thought the tv coverage was good aswell. thoroughly enjoyed the match and felt like we at least drew even though we lost.

not in the slightest disappointed,cant wait until thursday, and talking about the trip to wembley afterwards on the way home

As has happened a few times this season, especially at home, if we start fast but don't score then we have a problem when we inevitably can't keep up the fast pace.

Personally I thought Freeman had an off day, some nice runs but too often his touch let him down or he picked the wrong option. He wasn't alone in that though. JET really can look like a passenger when it's not going for him.

Archived