IGNORED

Scarves,succesfull?

Hartcliffe red

Scarves, succesfull?  

94 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Loved seeing a the scarfs raised before kick off.and the atmosphere was excellent...but why do they keep playing that record before kick off and what is it?totally kills the place

Play it by all means, but as background to the Ashton Roar, not as the main event. Once again, insensitivity to what the fans are doing.

Me and a few of my mates missed out on scarfs, we got there a good 15 minutes before KO but they were all gone in Williams E block. There was a roped off bit at the front of the block which had no scarfs but in the end they opened it up for overflow so I guess quite a few people missed out?

None of us were that bothered about it I just thought I'd mention it.

Colour looks good but it all looks a bit too...club shop. Let the fans choose a way to get this going, why does the club have to dictate? Oh, they might use the word ULTRA or fan or other nasty vocabulary...

https://thenatchwall.wordpress.com/ for more moaning!

Have to say it was a damp squib of a day all round. The scarves, whilst colourful, look too sanitised and the fact other clubs were doing it, makes us look less than original.

Roll on Thursday!

Colour looks good but it all looks a bit too...club shop. Let the fans choose a way to get this going, why does the club have to dictate? Oh, they might use the word ULTRA or fan or other nasty vocabulary...

Have to say it was a damp squib of a day all round. The scarves, whilst colourful, look too sanitised and the fact other clubs were doing it, makes us look less than original.

Roll on Thursday!

The fans can't come up with anything though. The atmosphere yesterday was good and it is normally shocking. Well done to the board.

I thought it was a great touch! This club is going places and took it's chance to look as good and professional as possible in front of millions of viewers.

Promoting Bristol Sport on the electric advertising boards looked great, and just gave me a feeling of what our club will be in the future.

The fans can't come up with anything though.

Which is created by a growing can't do mentality entrenched within BS - BCFC.

The fans of Accrington Stanley, Aldershot, Aston Villa, Barrow, Crystal Palace, Exter and on that can go through the alphabet would laugh at Citys rulings on flag size, quantity, certification and now phrases.

City fans not so long ago were renowned for their authenticity and originality.

There were initiatives such as - http://www.bristolcityst.org.uk/pdf/match%20day%20atmosphere4.pdf

Surfers across the Eastend, Dolman, away end at Cardiff, Shrewsbury, streamers at home to Palace, wavey flags for years, display flags placed out hours before kick off. That was all board members. Well done the board.

Derby done the scarf thing 3 years ago and it looked equally manufactured then.

The fans can't come up with anything though. The atmosphere yesterday was good and it is normally shocking. Well done to the board.

Incorrect. Fans paid for a giant surfer out of their own pockets and were told that as it was only fire resistant not fire retardant, whatever that means - and in a no smoking stadium - they couldn't use it.

Another surfer can only be used at designated times if the surfers are wearing hi-viz jackets.

Fans wanted to bring large flags on poles and were told a maximum of 3 were permitted of a designated size at designated times stood inside yellow grids.

The list of normal everyday fans initiatives which are quashed by the club for reasons of pettiness not seen at most other clubs in the country is endless and legendary.

Flag removed for including a non-offensive word not meant in the context alleged.

If the scarf idea was in conjunction with what fans have proposed, then fine, but it isn't, it replaces fan spontaneity and so is just cheesy.

Roll on Thursday!

Big fan of the Natch Wall but really disagree with a lot of the sentiments on that article. I thought the team played well, gave a good account of themselves and were unlucky to lose. I also thought the red and white scarves looked good - much better than anyone buying those half & half scarf crap.

Agree re the flags and the overexposure of 'Bristol Sport' and I share the concerns about the corporate, sanitised approach these bods seem to be taking, Billingham in particular. 

I thought on the whole it was a successful day for the club, and we didn't let ourselves down. You only have to read the numerous match reports and comments from WHU fans to realise that we looked a good side, caused them problems, and created a decent atmosphere. 

One thing we do agree on - the league is much more important. Let's go on and win the division now.

• Admin

Oh didn't realise that it was our board of directors that were behind this

So they were the 'mystery' sponsor who funded it?

Perhaps you should have said so all those that assumed that because it referenced Bristol Sport on it, they were the ones with the idea

Big fan of the Natch Wall but really disagree with a lot of the sentiments on that article. I thought the team played well, gave a good account of themselves and were unlucky to lose. I also thought the red and white scarves looked good - much better than anyone buying those half & half scarf crap.

Agree re the flags and the overexposure of 'Bristol Sport' and I share the concerns about the corporate, sanitised approach these bods seem to be taking, Billingham in particular. 

I thought on the whole it was a successful day for the club, and we didn't let ourselves down. You only have to read the numerous match reports and comments from WHU fans to realise that we looked a good side, caused them problems, and created a decent atmosphere. 

One thing we do agree on - the league is much more important. Let's go on and win the division now.

Great response, RedJim: thenatchwall is really appreciative of all responses. That's what it is - a range of responses from different people, representing in online form the numbers who sit on therealnatchwall by the park.

Appreciate your critique, top man.

You Reds!

What is the difference between "manufactured" and "organised"?

To me it was just a well organised way of presenting the club in a very positive light in front of a big TV audience. It looked great. Realistically who other than the club themselves could have organised something so visually impressive?

The club are doing what they can to encourage new fans to fill the extra seats we will soon have - which is absolutely the right thing to do, and in all our interests.

Just can't please some people. Scarf waving looked tremendous, was great fun also. Those whinging about it being corporate manufactured tosh would moan if they had a million quid given to them. Rather than blast it, run with it, adapt it to the way you want it

To be, make a song around it. Will this happen, No, cause it's just to easy to moan. The club have tried and in my opinion have been successful, here's to their next effort.

Watching the video clips of the scarfs in action it looked great, I am also sure a lot of people enjoyed a freebie!

I can understand that some fans do not enjoy this sort of thing however some of vitriol aimed at the club is a little over the top, apart from the surfer flag there is very little that is as A) visually striking or B) Memorable.

Well done City and BS imo, anything that wins a new generation of fans, gains national attention and sticks in the memory is well worth it.

I must be a plastic :chant6ez:  :chant6ez:  :clap:

It's another positive vote for the scarves. Alas a frozen shoulder meant I couldn't wave mine, but it's winging its way across the Atlantic now for Robbo Jr to impress/baffle his yankee doodle contemporaries with.

As someone said, at a time the club is getting a bit of justified stick for getting things wrong, this was right and it did add to the atmosphere, as well as feeling like a bit of a thank you for us loyal attenders.

Archived