IGNORED

Eoin Doyle

westonred

A player scoring goals for fun in a league we're trying to get out of is exactly the type of player we should be looking to buy.  Not sure what more we could expect.  He's not proven in the Championship, but a player already scoring goals in the Championship isn't going to come here because he's already scoring goals in the Championship.

Nobody is saying we're struggling for goals, but when Smith goes back, we have two players returning from injury - one of whom (Agard) was previously struggling for form, and Jet, who is talented but not exactly Mr Reliable.

I'd be delighted to see Doyle here.  If that's a panic buy, then I'm happy to panic because we'd be stronger with him than without.

We face 8 games in the next 30 days and there is a chance of losing either Matt Smith, or JET to injury, during that intense period, even allowing for the return of Agard and Wilbraham. And Smith leaves on 28/02.

Wilbs told me that he was returning to training this week after I spoke with him briefly in the Atyeo Car Park after the West Ham game. It's been stated elsewhere that he may be back for MK Dons on 07/02, but that's unconfirmed. He'll be a little rusty after a 6 week layoff.

Consequently, we need another striker before the 02/02 transfer deadline. However, if we do it'll be the right man because Cotterill doesn't do panic buys. Or panic loans, come to that.

Some strange comments on this thread about how good Doyle is after something like 25 goals and we might not be capable of signing him. But the issue for me is with JET still so unpredictable (very disappointing in the game versus West Ham), Smith only for a month longer and Agard /wilbs at various levels of fitness we seem to be crying out for a striker.So much great work this season by SC/Players/SL that surely we are not going to risk it by ending up being short up front.

SC has said to forget Agard for a while and previously that he was looking to bring another 2 in.Now it seems we will go with what we have. for me this is a bit of a worry.

Very harsh.

Can't understand why people see the need to pick up on JET whenever he doesn't have an "exceptional" game. Are there any players that NEVER have an off day?

I think people read too much into what Cotts says.

If he says "forget about Agard for a while" to me that says expect him to start tonight.

If he says "that's my transfer business done" I'd expect one more in before the window closes.

He loves to keep the opposition guessing, Cotts = king of mind games.

No I didn't say we were struggling for goals however we could be once Smith went back. So it would be nice to get a proven goalscorer in now rather than on a emergency loan who might be up to much  

Well actually you did, you said "we are struggling for goals once Smith goes back to Fulham". As if it was already a fact.

Yes we do need another striker but not any old striker ala the past 5/6 years, one that we actually want and not just one that is available. SC and Burt have done little wrong so far with transfers and loans, let them do what they do.

I'd rather risk going short and staying in budget, keeping us in a better position long term than waste money on people we might not need and end up with a stack of players to get rid of like last time we were in the championship.

And blow it like we did in 2007/2008.

We aren't freescoring like the inbreds and we will need a regular goalscorer (or 2) to finish the job off when Smith goes back to Fulham.   At the moment, Doyle and Andy Williams are regular goalscorers.

JET isn't an out and out striker and with him and Wilbraham out of contract at the end of the season, we could be left with Agard as our only striking option in the summer.

You can never have enough goalscorers in your squad IMO.....the trick is keeping them all happy.

Well actually you did, you said "we are struggling for goals once Smith goes back to Fulham". As if it was already a fact.

It can't already be a fact if it hasn't happened yet can it , God even I know that !!  But thanks for pointing that out though Teacher, I shall try harder

If we were going to sign someone permenantly I'd rather see us go for Bradshaw from Walsall, doing really well this season, age of his side etc, only thing can't see Walsall being keen to sell him especially to us if we get through and face them at Wembley.

Yes we do need another striker but not any old striker ala the past 5/6 years, one that we actually want and not just one that is available. SC and Burt have done little wrong so far with transfers and loans, let them do what they do.

Preceded by an "if".  Read it properly.

Very harsh.

Can't understand why people see the need to pick up on JET whenever he doesn't have an "exceptional" game. Are there any players that NEVER have an off day?

It's so boring. Even at matches everyone is waiting to have a go at him when he loses the ball. People would rather have someone that runs around a lot.

It's so boring. Even at matches everyone is waiting to have a go at him when he loses the ball. People would rather have someone that runs around a lot.

Similar to when Dziekanowski was here. He was worth the entrance money alone, just because he could do something that took your breath away

Can remember when he signed from Celtic, I couldn't get my head around the fact he was coming to Bristol City. Pure talent wise, no one has got close to touching him in my time watching, commitment wise I should imagine most people are way past him - but it didn't matter. When he wanted to be, he was that ******* good

There was one trick at the Gate vs Ipswich, you almost heard 16,000 people gasp at once

Then there was the late winner vs Wolves (yes, kids - we have beaten Wolves at least once)

Leicester away in the FA Cup

Just watching the bloke warm up was worth the money

Similar to when Dziekanowski was here. He was worth the entrance money alone, just because he could do something that took your breath away

Can remember when he signed from Celtic, I couldn't get my head around the fact he was coming to Bristol City. Pure talent wise, no one has got close to touching him in my time watching, commitment wise I should imagine most people are way past him - but it didn't matter. When he wanted to be, he was that ******* good

There was one trick at the Gate vs Ipswich, you almost heard 16,000 people gasp at once

Then there was the late winner vs Wolves (yes, kids - we have beaten Wolves at least once)

And how well did we do as a team when Jacki was in the side?  Fantastic tricks, a few great goals, value to the team almost nil.

Very harsh.

I thought he was fantastic, off the ball he covered a lot of ground & helped in the whole defend from attack thing brilliantly, it's something that Agard gets plenty of praise for but hey let's have a dig at JET for no real reason as we haven't currently hot a scapegoat!

Jacki  :wub:

No idea if it was that game, but i can remember him having the ball near the corner flag at the East End, 2 defenders on him, he flicked it up with his left foot, flicked it between the two players with his right foot whilst doing a pirouette, looked up and bent a lovely cross in.

He certainly earned his detractors, but many other players have come and gone who's name fade. Not Jacki, similar things will probably be said of JET in years to come.

Jacki  :wub:

No idea if it was that game, but i can remember him having the ball near the corner flag at the East End, 2 defenders on him, he flicked it up with his left foot, flicked it between the two players with his right foot whilst doing a pirouette, looked up and bent a lovely cross in.

He certainly earned his detractors, but many other players have come and gone who's name fade. Not Jacki, similar things will probably be said of JET in years to come.

Unbelievable now to think we had Jacki and Andy Cole in the same side back then. If only we could have built around those two...........

And blow it like we did in 2007/2008.

We aren't freescoring like the inbreds and we will need a regular goalscorer (or 2) to finish the job off when Smith goes back to Fulham.   At the moment, Doyle and Andy Williams are regular goalscorers.

JET isn't an out and out striker and with him and Wilbraham out of contract at the end of the season, we could be left with Agard as our only striking option in the summer.

You can never have enough goalscorers in your squad IMO.....the trick is keeping them all happy.

Thanks BCAGFC - you saved me writing all of that out as I was just about to.

Totally agree and its just what I was thinking, especially the first bit about 2007/08 - Stoke went and brought in a few players to spice things up ....and the rest is history !

Archived