IGNORED

Eoin Doyle

westonred

Strong rumours that he is off to Sheff Utd with Preston also very keen. I really hope we are still in for him as it would be a great shame if he went to one of our rivals and we are struggling for goals once Smith goes back to Fulham.

How the **** are we struggling for goals?

Before the blank against the best defence in the country we were scoring about 2 a game

That's not struggling to score goals

Before the blank against the best defence in the country we were scoring about 2 a game

I think he is saying, once smith goes back and we begin to struggle in front of goal then it would be a shame not to have signed a goalscorer. Personally I would wait, and when smith goes back then we try get someone on loan so that we always have 4 strikers!!

I think he is saying, once smith goes back and we begin to struggle in front of goal then it would be a shame not to have signed a goalscorer. Personally I would wait, and when smith goes back then we try get someone on loan so that we always have 4 strikers!!

when smith goes back Wilbs and agard will be fit and we weren't struggling before he got here

when smith goes back Wilbs and agard will be fit and we weren't struggling before he got here

Will they be fit? How long for? To be honest no one expected them to be out for aslong as they have, they gunna come back the same players they was at start of season?

No I didn't say we were struggling for goals however we could be once Smith went back. So it would be nice to get a proven goalscorer in now rather than on a emergency loan who might be up to much  

We do need another striker. Smith will be gone in a months time, we then could have a big March/April with three strikers....two of whom are currently injured and we dont know how long for.  Even if they are back, you have to take into consideration lack of fitness, sharpness etc

We are clearly creating and scoring a lot of goals, however, Wilbs and Agard have had their injuries, Smith goes back in a month and although JET is doing great at the moment, he is not an out an out striker.

The game against West Ham showed we are missing that nippy, play off the shoulder type striker and although that could be Agard, he wasn't in great form before his injury and will take some time to get back up to speed.

Once Smith goes, we're back to 3 forwards..........a risky strategy going into the last couple of months of the season. I appreciate there is the loan system after the transfer window but what team is going to release a quality forward at that point of the season

I know it sounds odd, considering the amount of goals he has scored this season, but I'm not convinced by Doyle, especially if/when we get to the championship.

Mind you, I also didn't think that Ricky Lambert would cut it in a higher division once he left the gas!

Just have to trust SC's judgement on this one I guess.

Just the 3rd best attack only 7 goals behind MK. Hardly struggling for goals.

No one said we're struggling for goals, but when smith goes back we will be left with 3 strikers, who knows how fit wilbraham and Agard will be, or even if they recover from the injuries and be in the same form!!

No one said we're struggling for goals, but when smith goes back we will be left with 3 strikers, who knows how fit wilbraham and Agard will be, or even if they recover from the injuries and be in the same form!!

And if we spend 2 million on a striker who gets a Maynard esc injury?

Sorry sign in on loan if we get a injury but let's not panic buy

We already have 3 proven goalscorers

Only one of whom is fit.

Nobody knows how long either Wilbraham or Agard will take to be fit for selection, yet alone fully match fit.

I don't think Doyle is the answer, but I do think that we should be on the look out for another forward player, loan or permanent I trust the management team to do what's right for the team/club.

I'm not panicking yet, however it's a concern as we are a tad short on the ground.

We do need another striker. Smith will be gone in a months time, we then could have a big March/April with three strikers....two of whom are currently injured and we dont know how long for.  Even if they are back, you have to take into consideration lack of fitness, sharpness etc

That question may, in part, be answered tonight when Agard might play some part. If he rips the Gills apart and scores one we might equally suggest that when a player is back he is truly back.

When Agard and Wilbs were playing together we were clear at the top now we are not so you might also argue we can attain those heights again when they are. You could also argue that both players will be like new signings; fresh sharp and fit like the start of the season.. they did not seem to struggle or need time to settle very long back then did they?

I am totally confident we will get over the line and in first place with the strikers we have now and those we do have at the end of the season. Let us also not forget the likes of.. well every other single player in the squad frankly who can and have scored goals.

I see no problems with goals anywhere on the horizon and thats into May. :)

Not sure if Doyle is the man but it would certainly be prudent to strengthen whilst we are in a strong position. We should have a few quid to play with as well what with the TV coverage of late and a probably Wembley final on the cards.

I don't see Doyle as the answer to our problems. I actually think he is a pretty big gamble. The fee for him is completely unrealistic when you consider his whole career and it would be hard to be overly confident that he will keep up his scoring run if he were to move.

I think he is the type of signing we would have made in years gone by but now I don't think we should try to compete for him: the amount of clubs in for him will only drive his fee up and his wages also.

I'd feel perfectly calm about the prospect of ending this window with Smith the only bit of inbound business. If Burns starts banging them in (and I'm presuming we have a recall option) we can call him back. We should also be in a strong position for another emergency loan when you consider our position, the way we are playing with a young team, the form of Smith. Put it another way, if you were Big Sam or if you were another Prem manager watching Sunday keeping an eye on West Ham, or a Championship manager taking in a game, you could only be impressed by the way we played and surely happy to let a promising young lad go out to us on loan.

If we get a Wembley appearance booked in tonight that will only make us more attractive for a loan - send the lad here, he might get a game or game time at Wembley on TV. That'll be cracking experience for him in coping with pressure/expectations/keeping the hunger etc.

Some strange comments on this thread about how good Doyle is after something like 25 goals and we might not be capable of signing him. But the issue for me is with JET still so unpredictable (very disappointing in the game versus West Ham), Smith only for a month longer and Agard /wilbs at various levels of fitness we seem to be crying out for a striker.So much great work this season by SC/Players/SL that surely we are not going to risk it by ending up being short up front.

SC has said to forget Agard for a while and previously that he was looking to bring another 2 in.Now it seems we will go with what we have. for me this is a bit of a worry.

Some strange comments on this thread about how good Doyle is after something like 25 goals and we might not be capable of signing him. But the issue for me is with JET still so unpredictable (very disappointing in the game versus West Ham), Smith only for a month longer and Agard /wilbs at various levels of fitness we seem to be crying out for a striker.So much great work this season by SC/Players/SL that surely we are not going to risk it by ending up being short up front.

SC has said to forget Agard for a while and previously that he was looking to bring another 2 in.Now it seems we will go with what we have. for me this is a bit of a worry.

agreed

Archived