IGNORED

Not Going To Wembley

BS3_RED

I have been an ST holder for over 10 years, have watched City all over the country but have decided that I just do not fancy going to watch City at Wembley. Its nothing to do with City, just that I can not be arsed to have to put up with all the day trippers and plastics Bristol based Liverpool and Man U fans all day slagging us and the standard of football off.

Anybody else not bothering?

Nor me.  in fact, I'm fed up of the glory hunters we have at Ashton Gate too.  Let's get back to the core attendances of 6/7000 when we were shite.  At least we had some space and you knew everyone!

I take it you are being sarcastic? 

I'm probably going but I agree with the sentiments about day trippers. We'll have 40,000 "fans" at Wembley, but how many will be at the next home match? They're just woodwork fans- i e they come out of the woodwork when we get to Wembley.

I'm probably going but I agree with the sentiments about day trippers. We'll have 40,000 "fans" at Wembley, but how many will be at the next home match? They're just woodwork fans- i e they come out of the woodwork when we get to Wembley.

They are but if we want to get crowds of 27k in a couple of years then some of them will have to start coming along at some point.

I had to tell my daughter that we can't go as I'll be away for work and she cried.

This would have been my Daughters first trip to Wembley watching City and its something she has wanted since I took her to see Newport get promoted a couple of years back ( we lived in Newport at the time and I felt she should have some connection to her home town team). That was in front of around 20,000 and she wanted to see it packed but I just cant bring myself to go. Guess she will be a little disappointed when I tell her in the morning. 

What a shame. If we were to get to the Prem and they were helping swell the coffers on a weekly basis, what a terrible shame that would be.

This would have been my Daughters first trip to Wembley watching City and its something she has wanted since I took her to see Newport get promoted a couple of years back ( we lived in Newport at the time and I felt she should have some connection to her home town team). That was in front of around 20,000 and she wanted to see it packed but I just cant bring myself to go. Guess she will be a little disappointed when I tell her in the morning. 

Christ. Way to let some 'day-trippers' get in the way of your daughter's big day out.

What a shame. If we were to get to the Prem and they were helping swell the coffers on a weekly basis, what a terrible shame that would be.

Agreed, I have no problem with fans that cant go all the time. Many reason why some cant. My issue is with the day trippers who could not care less about BCFC

Yes Wembley should be just for loyal fans.

I have followed this team since the away leg of the Southern final. I am not one of these who just rocks up once they get to a final.

And thanks to Google I can even name our reserve keeper.

Come on Bristol!

Christ. Way to let some 'day-trippers' get in the way of your daughter's big day out.

She wont be that bothered. When I take her to AG, she just plays on her tablet. She will moan tomorrow but if I took her she would lose interest after around 15 minutes.

I am 42 now and have extremely hazy memories of top flight football and about 6 trips to finals at a national stadium. I think anybody who turns their nose up at watching their club at the national stadium is bonkers.

If we were Man Utd I could understand the stuffy attitude about travelling there in another final, but we are Bristol City, serial underachievers and days out like this are as rare as rocking horse shit. Turn up, watch your club and have a great day out on the piss watching the football, it's a no brainer.

out of the woodwork? They are probably still at wembley from 2008,waiting for the next time we got there,they are dusting off their wigs and painting their plastic faces

Aren't you?

Nope. I would rather be at an away game watching City than Wembley.

I remember when we played Palace and Hull in the play offs. We had such a great atmosphere at Palace (as we didnt sell out) because it was just City fans, yet Wembley I was surrounded by people from Bristol who were there for a day out and not to support City. 

What's wrong with someone having a good day out? I've been to Twickenham to see Bristol, Bath and Gloucester, but don't watch any of them on regular basis, just Bristol occasionally.

Also, I think there's been no more that 3 or 4 attendances of 38,000 at Ashton Gate that I can recall, so as usual people just turn up for big events.

I pass by Wembley Park station nearly every day of the week so even more extra annoying. Gotta say having been both to the lost playoffs vs Brighton and Hull, watching somewhere in a nice bar in Geneva (where even there the beer is still cheaper than Wemberley ripoff pints) I'm nowhere near as bothered as she is. There I said it. 

It's those for-now day trippers who would be helping us stay in the Prem if we ever get there.

No it would not. Over the course of a season I bet over 30,000 different City fans watch us one way or another. Those people will find a way to attend more regularly if we were in the Prem.

Horace has never been to Wembley and he snuffled a bit when I denounced the Piss Pot Trophy and all its works, but he's right behind me on this one.

If we go to Wembley it'll be for a REAL trophy. Nonetheless, I wish all those going a good day out. Just don't get your hopes too high about the New Wembley Experience. The pray off final was a huge day for me, but not because of the stadium.

No it would not. Over the course of a season I bet over 30,000 different City fans watch us one way or another. Those people will find a way to attend more regularly if we were in the Prem.

Sorry but if you think a moderately decent proportion of what you would now class 'day trippers' wouldn't cough up if we reached the promised land, you're deluded.

"Day trippers" they may be, but if they have enough of an interest in the club to travel 100 miles up the M4 to watch us in the JPT final, then they have the potential to become regular supporters. We have 27,000 seats the season after next. Wembley is a great chance to gain new fans to fill them.

So the more "day trippers" the better as far as I'm concerned.

Sorry but if you think a moderately decent proportion of what you would now class 'day trippers' wouldn't cough up if we reached the promised land, you're deluded.

Of course they would, I dont disagree. However my point is that we in the Championship averaged around 16,500 in the Wembley season. That was not just 16,500 going to every game but probably around 30,000 going when they could (some every game, other one game).

I really don't get this "day trippers" thing. How many of them were regulars in the 60s 70s or 80s but have tailed off because of family commitments and failing health. How many of them stood in the pouring rain on the terraces away at the Vetch and Sincil Bank? How many of them were among faithful few in the 1980s?

Just because you have the time, energy and finance to be ever-present now doesn't mean you'll stll be there in 20 years time.

Any for how many of you was your first game a "big" game, not a tedious 0-0 draw with Walsall?

Of course they would, I dont disagree. However my point is that we in the Championship averaged around 16,500 in the Wembley season. That was not just 16,500 going to every game but probably around 30,000 going when they could (some every game, other one game).

But then I don't see your issue with them turning out for Wembley? It's inevitable.

Archived