IGNORED

Not Going To Wembley

BS3_RED

Agreed. I went home in a sulk after Brighton because the team didn't turn up, and although the prize was greater, Hull didn't hurt as much for me.

Yep me too. Brighton was far worse to stomach just because we saved our worst performance of the season for it. Hull was gutting but we played well and got done by a fantastic goal.

How many "arm chair " City fans watched the WHam match on telly last week? How many of them might have been really impressed by the quality of football displayed and how well the team performed and might then have thought it might be worth getting down to Ashton Gate to see them play live?

If some of those armchair fans fancy a day out at Wembley, they might see a similarly impressive city performance, and hopefully a win and if so, then they might make the decision to get down the Gate to see them play, if that's the type of football on offer.

Why should we be unhappy at casual fans making an appearance at Wembley because we will have a 27,000 capacity stadium to fill in the not to distant future and "true" City fans will only half fill it as things stand?

Interesting view, and I can see how you think your original point has been misinterpreted.

People have assumed you don't like "part time supporters" and glory hunters but in fact what you don't like are "non supporters" who simply want to experience a match at Wembley and have no feelings for BCFC.

That's understandable, but I still don't agree. If we treat the club as a small exclusive cult that doesn't want to attract outsiders, then that is how it will stay. We spend so much time complaining at the lack of support and that Bristol isn't a football city like those in the North, we really can't object if potential supporters come along for a taster at a special match. Yes, some may never return, but some will.

I moved to Somerset in 1968 as a 12 year old. My dad started bringing me to Ashton Gate because it was the local club, but for years I was still an avid Leeds fans and that took precedence over City. Gradually though, that fell away and I've supported nobody but City since.

Let's welcome everybody to the club and hope the standard of football impresses them so they return. The West Ham game should have helped and hopefully some locals will have realised then that the gap between us and the run of the mill top flight clubs is not so large. It feels good to support a successful club- but it feels better to support a successful local club.

But please everyone ( ie not aimed at BS3 RED)don't disrespect those loyal fans who sit quietly and dont sing much. We are the majority and just as important as the self-regarding "singing section" who seem to despise us so much.

Good post Leveller. Its good to see that some on here can still have a reasoned debate.

I agree with you and others have said about potential new fans could come from this and that we as a club will need a bigger fan base if we are ever to compete even at the top end of the Championship. 

Maybe I was just unlucky when we played Hull and was sat by some extreme examples of day trippers but I would hate to be at Wembley again and hear the uneducated and biased crap for 90 minutes again. 

Maybe I was just unlucky when we played Hull and was sat by some extreme examples of day trippers but I would hate to be at Wembley again and hear the uneducated and biased crap for 90 minutes again. 

When it comes to Bristol City, I don't think uneducated and biased crap is the sole preserve of Wembley day trippers.

When it comes to Bristol City, I don't think uneducated and biased crap is the sole preserve of Wembley day trippers.

Now that is the truth but most football fans are reactionary, myself included from time to time. 

Went to the old Wembley to watch us lose to stoke, millennium for Brighton :facepalm: , millenium again to watch us win and new Wembley for hull :facepalm: ... horrible plastic bowl, and i know the old one was a shithole but it had something.

Anyway, wont be going unless older son badgers me into it. Dont go down the gate much anymore but went to glory hunt against Wham, its got even more sanitised than ever! I was scared to raise my voice... still ,with the ground complete and some sections for safe standing we should be okay.... oh wait...

On another note my younger, 9 ,  son and his mates still play "Wembley" at break times!! Sigh, remember some epic dinner time games when i was a boy....

Went to the old Wembley to watch us lose to stoke, millennium for Brighton :facepalm: , millenium again to watch us win and new Wembley for hull :facepalm: ... horrible plastic bowl, and i know the old one was a shithole but it had something.

Anyway, wont be going unless older son badgers me into it. Dont go down the gate much anymore but went to glory hunt against Wham, its got even more sanitised than ever! I was scared to raise my voice... still ,with the ground complete and some sections for safe standing we should be okay.... oh wait...

On another note my younger, 9 ,  son and his mates still play "Wembley" at break times!! Sigh, remember some epic dinner time games when i was a boy....

Many memory flashbacks happening in my brain right now.

Am I the only one who enjoyed the Hull game, result aside? People saying it was an appalling experience....really??

I just remember being proud to be part of a huge following and I'm pretty certain we sang a few songs as well.

Brighton was an appalling experience because the team didn't turn up - for which I blame DW :grr:

Against Hull we lost one defender before the game and another in the first half. Nonetheless, we played our arses off and lost to a wonder strike by an overage player. I was proud of the lads and proud to be a City supporter that day :city:

I really don't get this "day trippers" thing. How many of them were regulars in the 60s 70s or 80s but have tailed off because of family commitments and failing health. How many of them stood in the pouring rain on the terraces away at the Vetch and Sincil Bank? How many of them were among faithful few in the 1980s?

Just because you have the time, energy and finance to be ever-present now doesn't mean you'll stll be there in 20 years time.

Any for how many of you was your first game a "big" game, not a tedious 0-0 draw with Walsall?

Thanks to all who Liked this. I don't often blow my top here, but that was one of those occasions.

I really don't get this "day trippers" thing. How many of them were regulars in the 60s 70s or 80s but have tailed off because of family commitments and failing health. How many of them stood in the pouring rain on the terraces away at the Vetch and Sincil Bank? How many of them were among faithful few in the 1980s?

Just because you have the time, energy and finance to be ever-present now doesn't mean you'll stll be there in 20 years time.

Any for how many of you was your first game a "big" game, not a tedious 0-0 draw with Walsall?

I was going to post something similar Aizoon, but I have an additional point which is that the idea of people turning up for the big games is nothing new. In the 70's during our FA Cup run, we had 38000 crowds against Leeds and Liverpool at Ashton Gate, I don't remember it damaging the atmosphere or large groups of supporters complaining about the fact we returned to 14/15k for the league games in between times. In some cases those in between gates were supplemented by people turning up to collect vouchers for the cup matches, a tactic which some sections of the support would lambast Bristol Sport for if it was to be introduced today. 

Personally I would be more upset if , no matter what level of success the club reached, the Bristol public continued to stay away in their droves. I am sure this would be Steve Lansdown's reaction too.

Embarrassing thread.

Potential to suck new fans in, potential to sell more tickets and make more money, and potential to have a louder more vocal support.

Plastic Bristol City fans didn't realise we had glory hunter supporters.

Some posters on here/fans think they are at the top of the hypothetical chain....your not, your one of many.

I have been reading this thread with interest as I know the OP well and am genuinely surprised to see him say he's not going but I do respect his reasons.

What I will say, is nobody should question BS3's support of our great club. I don't think anyone is TBH though. He's a proper City fan, home and away. I have no doubt he will be at Stadium MK next week and I will hopefully see him there.

Personally, the more the merrier for me and if we gain a few more regular supporters by going to Wembley then happy days. Re the 'criticism' of City by day trippers, sit with like minded fans and it doesn't seem to be an issue but I won't have a go at anyone who is at Wembley supporting City be it their first game of their 1000th.

Used to go to the cinema regularly, love films, big screen etc.... That all changed though when I realised some of the bastards there weren't real film fans at all they only turned up for the blockbuster Oscar winners.. Bloody TV soap addicts, spoiled cinema for me I tell ya... I got net flicks now and a smart TV so fk 'em, I stay at home.

I know someone who for as long as I could remember, lived his life fooling himself that he was a Liverpool supporter. I'd never heard him even mention bristol city before, let alone seen him at the gate. When we got to Wembley vs hull and he told me he was going I thought exactly the same as most of us would. despite the result he must of enjoyed it because he's been coming to the gate fairly regularly since and you never hear him talk about Liverpool anymore. There will be a lot of people tag along with their city fan mates for a day out and won't ever care about us. That's a shame. But some will come back. Everyone just enjoy the occasion. Don't cut off your nose to spite your face by not going in some sort of pathetic protest.From reading this forum over the last week or so it seems that some like our little club in our little league playing in our rust bucket of a stadium in front of poxy crowds against the likes of crawley and fleetwood. If that's what you want then go and support rovers. The club is looking forward and aiming high and if playing top flight football in front of 27k crowds (most of whom clearly aren't proper diehard fans at the moment) isn't what you want,then why on earth do you waste your money?

For crying out loud... these so-called 'day-trippers' are FANS who either can't afford to buy a season ticket or can't make it to every game, but make it to 10 games a season + plus a couple of away matches, who show their passion for the club just as much as anyone else and have followed the club through the recent hard times and all previous bad era's. Now we are in a final (and for the record is quite important as we have plenty of empty spaces in our trophy cabinet that need filling)  and I see this as a time that all fans will get time of work and spend the extra money they don't have to cheer us on to a rare trophy! Just because we get 11-12k a week doesn't mean we only have 11-12k fans. I for one would rather see 39,000 fans filling our part of the national stadium than have the 9,000 fans who went to the Gillingham game on Thursday night scarcely spread around. So to all fans who moan about who's a hard core fan and who's plastic, just give it a break and realise that most of these 'plastic' fans are just as passionate as you are. I am looking forward to being surrounded by 39,000 fans once again, however, if the OP really doesn't show up then I'm not going to lose any sleep on being surrounded by 38,999 fans! 

For crying out loud... these so-called 'day-trippers' are FANS who either can't afford to buy a season ticket or can't make it to every game, but make it to 10 games a season + plus a couple of away matches, who show their passion for the club just as much as anyone else and have followed the club through the recent hard times and all previous bad era's. Now we are in a final (and for the record is quite important as we have plenty of empty spaces in our trophy cabinet that need filling) and I see this as a time that all fans will get time of work and spend the extra money they don't have to cheer us on to a rare trophy! Just because we get 11-12k a week doesn't mean we only have 11-12k fans. I for one would rather see 39,000 fans filling our part of the national stadium than have the 9,000 fans who went to the Gillingham game on Thursday night scarcely spread around. So to all fans who moan about who's a hard core fan and who's plastic, just give it a break and realise that most of these 'plastic' fans are just as passionate as you are. I am looking forward to being surrounded by 39,000 fans once again, however, if the OP really doesn't show up then I'm not going to lose any sleep on being surrounded by 38,999 fans!

Maybe you should read the entire thread and not assume I am talking about our more casual fans, as I am not.

I have stated on several posts in this thread that I have full respect for ALL of our fans and am referring to is non Bristol City fans that will go

It is obvious that there a several posters on here that are incapable of reading and understanding all of a thread and then read what they want.

I'm not going either.

a) It's a tin-pot compition and it's embarrassing that City are playing in it.

b) Like the OP I can't be arsed to tolerate all the plastic fans nor can I be arsed to go through all the hassle of getting a ticket, travelling up to Wembley blah blah.......all for a meaningless cup that no-one cares about or even remembers who won last it season ( unless your team reached Wembley)

c) It's live on TV anyway.

Embarrassing thread.

Potential to suck new fans in, potential to sell more tickets and make more money, and potential to have a louder more vocal support.

Plastic Bristol City fans didn't realise we had glory hunter supporters.

Some posters on here/fans think they are at the top of the hypothetical chain....your not, your one of many.

I never said we had plastic fans. What I said was that there will be a lot of plastic man u, Liverpool, Chelsea etc there. Please do keep up.

Same every time there is a big game.

Of course thete are 'plastics'. There are also a vast number of passionate but less regular fans like me who may go to this one. ST holders for some years, then life, and in my case a move get in the way, and its down to a few a season. Done my fair share home and away in every division not to be really a glory hunter, but yes, sure, find the thought of being with 40,000 other like minded souls still alluring.

It is what it is, and at least City get something from my ticket, unlike away at say Coventry. Enjoyed that to hugely, but lets just let everyone enjoy the day if they want to.

Must have been stood next to you, yes done most away proper grounds and all home back then, now there`s something missing; enjoyed the Eastend come back when me and the boy were one of about 70 odd in for the first game (notts county was it? 4.5-0)

Hate the new rip off ville Wembs and wont be going back there again..ever. No doubt a few thousand newbies will fill the void left by me and my boys (33yr and 35yrs now)

Hoping to gawd the new Gate don't go to far down the its all about the money and stuff the fans route by the way.

What I don't understand is how the Welsh got it right for about a quarter of the cost and we English got it so horribly wrong with the New Wembley. The Milstad is up-to-date and comfortable, but also friendly and atmospheric. Wembley is neither, Maybe it's just that we in this country are so money-obsessed that it's the only way we can do things these days. Certainly hope the new Gate doesn't go that way, but the omens aren't good.

I'm not going either.

a) It's a tin-pot compition and it's embarrassing that City are playing in it.

b) Like the OP I can't be arsed to tolerate all the plastic fans nor can I be arsed to go through all the hassle of getting a ticket, travelling up to Wembley blah blah.......all for a meaningless cup that no-one cares about or even remembers who won last it season ( unless your team reached Wembley)

c) It's live on TV anyway.

Saving yourself for the conference play offs?

Archived