IGNORED

Not Going To Wembley

BS3_RED

Why should it matter who goes along? I am going to support Bristol City, I couldn't give a sh!t who sits next to me. I wanna see my team win at Wembley. A lot of fans cutting off their nose to spite their face at the moment with this whole BS and "plastic fans" stuff.

There will always be plastics when it comes to Wembley - with any club, but similarly, there will be fans that only go on the odd occasion because they can't afford going weekly but find the money to make it to Wembley because it's an occasion.

Jesus Christ. Some people just love to moan.

I don't live in Bristol but I am a city fan. The games I can attend I do... this will be one of them. 

It's too easy to paint everyone with the same brush - plastics etc.

Before attending Wembley in 2008 I rarely visited Ashton Gate but from that point onward (regardless of our shocking trajectory and mood around the club) I visited Ashton Gate many more times than I had prior to the play-off final.

This is an opportunity to engage with those fringe fans, please welcome them and make our club stronger.

It's those for-now day trippers who would be helping us stay in the Prem if we ever get there.

Some casual supporters would attend more frequently if we get to the Premiership, but I wasn't referring to casual supporters, as there are many reasons why people only attend now and then. The "woodwork supporters" I was referring to are those who only attend Wembley / Millenium Stadium matches and never attend a league match in between. I know a few people who fall into that category and they will never attend on a regular basis for league matches. A lot of the extra fans who are going to Wembley are going for the day trip, no more, no less. I hope they have a good day, but wish they wouldn't pretend to be fanatical City supporters. (I get fed up explaining why John Atyeo isn't playing)

Of course they would, I dont disagree. However my point is that we in the Championship averaged around 16,500 in the Wembley season. That was not just 16,500 going to every game but probably around 30,000 going when they could (some every game, other one game).

Intresting point, which makes the capacity of the new Ashton Gate somewhat wanting for all takers!

I could understand turning our nose up at Wembley if we were there every other year but we aren't.

I'd say we've been luckier than most our level in terms of national stadium visits, in my time we've had Stoke, Carlisle, Hull and Brighton, but we may never get there again in my lifetime. I also haven't seen us win yet at a national stadium so hoping to break that duck this time around, I can't imagine there are many better experiences than seeing your team win at Wembley!

For the older folk amongst us who have seen much better times, I can understand why it isn't a big deal, but for most this IS a big deal.

Why should it matter who goes along? I am going to support Bristol City, I couldn't give a sh!t who sits next to me. I wanna see my team win at Wembley. A lot of fans cutting off their nose to spite their face at the moment with this whole BS and "plastic fans" stuff.

There will always be plastics when it comes to Wembley - with any club, but similarly, there will be fans that only go on the odd occasion because they can't afford going weekly but find the money to make it to Wembley because it's an occasion.

Jesus Christ. Some people just love to moan.

Spot on.

I could understand turning our nose up at Wembley if we were there every other year but we aren't.

I'd say we've been luckier than most our level in terms of national stadium visits, in my time we've had Stoke, Carlisle, Hull and Brighton, but we may never get there again in my lifetime. I also haven't seen us win yet at a national stadium so hoping to break that duck this time around, I can't imagine there are many better experiences than seeing your team win at Wembley!

For the older folk amongst us who have seen much better times, I can understand why it isn't a big deal, but for most this IS a big deal.

I was there in 86 back when Wembley was a proper stadium. :laugh:

I really don't get this "day trippers" thing. How many of them were regulars in the 60s 70s or 80s but have tailed off because of family commitments and failing health. How many of them stood in the pouring rain on the terraces away at the Vetch and Sincil Bank? How many of them were among faithful few in the 1980s?

Just because you have the time, energy and finance to be ever-present now doesn't mean you'll stll be there in 20 years time.

Any for how many of you was your first game a "big" game, not a tedious 0-0 draw with Walsall?

You are spot on,I know people who went everywhere with City in the 70's,80's and 90's.

They rarely go now because of other commitments.

It' doesn't mean they wouldn't still love to watch City each week.

I have been an ST holder for over 10 years, have watched City all over the country but have decided that I just do not fancy going to watch City at Wembley. Its nothing to do with City, just that I can not be arsed to have to put up with all the day trippers and plastics Bristol based Liverpool and Man U fans all day slagging us and the standard of football off.

Anybody else not bothering?

I'm bringing with me a couple of mates who follow City because I do.

One supports Liverpool and the other supports Birmingham City.

Is that ok by you? Just feeling like I should check that it's ok.

I'm bringing with me a couple of mates who follow City because I do.

One supports Liverpool and the other supports Birmingham City.

Is that ok by you? Just feeling like I should check that it's ok.

Do what you want as I will do what I want.

My post was highlighting why I have chosen not to go and asking if other were giving it a miss (for various reasons).

If you choose to get funny about it thats up to you.

I'm one of the lucky ones who also watched the Bolton and Mansfield games, but the last time i went against Hull the atmosphere around us way back in the heights was carp. So we decide to get some songs going, if looks could have killed because we were making some noise. So for the fun of it started sing "we are the East end of Ashton Gate"  Some twa# along from us said "that explains it". My son held me back from smacking him.  So yeah plastic supporters and tv for me.

I'm one of the lucky ones who also watched the Bolton and Mansfield games, but the last time i went against Hull the atmosphere around us way back in the heights was carp. So we decide to get some songs going, if looks could have killed because we were making some noise. So for the fun of it started sing "we are the East end of Ashton Gate"  Some twa# along from us said "that explains it". My son held me back from smacking him.  So yeah plastic supporters and tv for me.

Yep, now thats what I am referring too. 

All this talk of 'plastics' is getting on my tits to be honest. The real 'plastics' are those that claim to support Liverpool and Chelsea despite having lived in Bristol their whole lives. Bristol is as full of people who 'like football' as virtually all of those cities with teams that operate at a much higher level. Whilst their presence at City matches is treated with contempt by us 'regulars' they aren't gonna feel welcomed and won't return. It's a bit like those 'locals pub's' where everyone turns round and stares when anyone dares to enter. Those places might be comfortable for the few people that use them but they usually close down in time!!

I get what the op is trying to say. As said in a previous post ive been following city since the 80s but cant get to all the matches id like to. Must admit I hope I can get to Wembley and if I bristolian Liverpool/manu supporter got a ticket over me id be well pissed off. Going just because its Wembley. Impossible to police I know but still galling all the same.

Can someone please explain how you can be a glory hunter supporting a team who have never ******* won anything.

All this talk of day trippers, bullshit, let's just sell the tickets to season ticket holders then shall we and all 8K of us can sit there feeling so superior surrounded by empty seats.

Such small time mentality we have, always picking on other people.

Give me 1 happy clapper part time supporter over 1 miserable bastard everyday of the week, you people don't deserve success.

Every club has hangers-on when they get to a cup or play-off final. I don't understand the logic of denying yourself a rare chance to see City lift a trophy because you don't want to rub shoulders with event junkies and the klaxon horn brigade.

I welcome new fans; just because they haven't paid their dues and endured e.g. the second Joe Jordan era doesn't mean they aren't welcome. Some of those who make the trip to Wembley will doubtless disappear without a trace, but some might become so engrossed in the whole experience that they come back instead of watching the Premiership fat cats on telly.

No-one has the right to tell another person who they should or shouldn't support. 

I'm in disbelief.

Why jeopardise your support for the club by taking a stance that's so pathetic I feel a tad sorry for you.

Don't blame those not able to financially, logistically support the club like you can week in, week out, and actually enjoy the day yourself.

I sometimes wonder if some would genuinely be more pleased if we were a Midtable, League One side.

Whether you're Manchester City or Accrington Stannley, you will always have more fans turn out for big games.

Don't be a child m

Every club has hangers-on when they get to a cup or play-off final. I don't understand the logic of denying yourself a rare chance to see City lift a trophy because you don't want to rub shoulders with event junkies and the klaxon horn brigade.

I welcome new fans; just because they haven't paid their dues and endured e.g. the second Joe Jordan era doesn't mean they aren't welcome. Some of those who make the trip to Wembley will doubtless disappear without a trace, but some might become so engrossed in the whole experience that they come back instead of watching the Premier League fat cats on telly.

No-one has the right to tell another person who they should or shouldn't support. 

I agree with the majority of the post but at what point have I told anyone who they should support?  I have decided how I should support my team, which is on the telly. I have never liked the cup competitions in recent years due to the way its becomes an even rather than a City match. Hence I never went Sunday for the West Ham game but will be at MK next week.

I'm in disbelief.

Why jeopardise your support for the club by taking a stance that's so pathetic I feel a tad sorry for you.

Don't blame those not able to financially, logistically support the club like you can week in, week out, and actually enjoy the day yourself.

I sometimes wonder if some would genuinely be more pleased if we were a Midtable, League One side.

Whether you're Manchester City or Accrington Stannley, you will always have more fans turn out for big games.

Don't be a child m

It is not a stance as that would be pointless and would achieve nothing plus everyone who wants to go has the right to go. It is me knowing that I will not enjoy the day as I at no point enjoyed the Hull game at Wembley and as such dont want to go.

This sums it up

All this talk of 'plastics' is getting on my tits to be honest. The real 'plastics' are those that claim to support Liverpool and Chelsea despite having lived in Bristol their whole lives. Bristol is as full of people who 'like football' as virtually all of those cities with teams that operate at a much higher level. Whilst their presence at City matches is treated with contempt by us 'regulars' they aren't gonna feel welcomed and won't return.

So what does that make my son and I? Season Ticket holders who also attend 90% of away fixtures. Haven't lived in Bristol for 35 years; son's never lived there in his mortal coil tenure, save we'll be making the 240 mile round trip again Sunday. Maybe we're odd, save the contemptible ST 'plastics' in our group/row include 3 adults who live similar distances from BS3 (have done so for a similar time to myself) and their sons none of whom ever lived in Bristol, until Uni enticed one a few years back. You might also wish to consider your hospitality - I could point out many, as you'd term, 'regulars' who religiously follow City because via school/uni/work they attended a game despite having no historic allegiance and never looked back. I follow because 3 generations of my family did before I. My father and uncle took me to the Xmas opening of the floodlights - massive crowd, electric excitement and we lost. I was 5 and for that reason alone expend far more money, time and emotion 50 years later than makes sense. Perhaps a few 'plastics' at Wembley might do likewise.

I have been an ST holder for over 10 years, have watched City all over the country but have decided that I just do not fancy going to watch City at Wembley. Its nothing to do with City, just that I can not be arsed to have to put up with all the day trippers and plastics Bristol based Liverpool and Man U fans all day slagging us and the standard of football off.

Anybody else not bothering?

Your loss. Personally think it's poor on your part not supporting your team on their big day.

COYR

I will be travelling from Ireland with a few mates for the game... Don't go to the gate as often as I would like due to the cost of travel.

I remember fondly the days of the open end and remember the semi final against Hereford when Stevie Neville scored the winner (I think) to book our place for the first final against Bolton...

An amazing day out... Cant wait for March 22nd...

Exactly why I appreciate the lack of interest from the "older" generations. The old stadium was beautiful, unfortunately I never had the chance to go with City

I must have gone to the other stadium in Wembley, the one I recall was a decaying shit hole with poor views and cramped seats.

So what does that make my son and I? Season Ticket holders who also attend 90% of away fixtures. Haven't lived in Bristol for 35 years; son's never lived there in his mortal coil tenure, save we'll be making the 240 mile round trip again Sunday. Maybe we're odd, save the contemptible ST 'plastics' in our group/row include 3 adults who live similar distances from BS3 (have done so for a similar time to myself) and their sons none of whom ever lived in Bristol, until Uni enticed one a few years back. You might also wish to consider your hospitality - I could point out many, as you'd term, 'regulars' who religiously follow City because via school/uni/work they attended a game despite having no historic allegiance and never looked back. I follow because 3 generations of my family did before I. My father and uncle took me to the Xmas opening of the floodlights - massive crowd, electric excitement and we lost. I was 5 and for that reason alone expend far more money, time and emotion 50 years later than makes sense. Perhaps a few 'plastics' at Wembley might do likewise.

I am similarly confused being a ST holder who gets to less than 5 games a year, has not lived in Bristol for almost 30 years, and will be glory hunting come March. Am I allowed to go?

I must have gone to the other stadium in Wembley, the one I recall was a decaying shit hole with poor views and cramped seats.

Did you go to the millennium? That's what a modern stadium can be, when soaking the customer is not the prime concern.

I am similarly confused being a ST holder who gets to less than 5 games a year, has not lived in Bristol for almost 30 years, and will be glory hunting come March. Am I allowed to go?

No you are not. You've not watched the pre-requisite amount of matches to watch City at Wembley and call yourself a supporter. You should be ashamed to even try and buy a ticket. Similarly, my wife and Nephews who have all supported City throughout the years and for one reason or another, do not/cannot attend matches on a regular basis, should also not be allowed to enjoy a day out at Wembley because they are plastics. I on the other hand, am a far superior supporter, who attends virtually every single home match possible and have done for nearly fifty years, so I'm entitled to call myself a proper supporter.

But, thinking about it, I have not been to many away matches in recent years so now feel I should be banned from attending Wembley as It is technically an away match.

Of course there just might be a few people who happen (obviously by mistake) to get tickets to the game and enjoy it, who might just be persuaded to come along to a few games at the newly redeveloped Ashton gate. Which in turn leads to a bigger income feed, more money for better players and a more successful team.

Hang on! what a load of bollucks. Some people are just plain ******* stupid.

Archived