IGNORED

Should We Break The Bank..

Redarmy987

No, but you know what I mean

Hahaha. Yeh. I'm torn. I love what he offers at set pieces. It makes us almost unparalleled in set pieces with Flint, but if jet is staying, I'm not sure he's the ideal partner (although I understand how ridiculous that sounds given their current partnership.)

Depends on the situation with Wilbraham IMHO. Very similar players and AW has been one of the best players this season. Would he have the same impact next season, possibly in the championship at the age of 84 or whatever? Not sure we need both of them. I still think we need a proper striker/finisher to make the next step up as the WHam game showed...

MS was good enough for Fulham to consider buying him over the summer. Just didn't work out there for him. He clearly knows how to score and get in the right positions. Should be a definate purchase. Down to what MS wants to do come the summer as im sure he would have gained lots more interest due to his exploits

Personally, although he is clearly an incredibly talented player, I wouldn't because he has changed our style a bit and I believe that our team is more suited to the ball on the ground.  

I'm not saying we are purely a "hoofball" team, but we have tended to play more long balls since he came in, which has clearly been effective, but I feel will be found out at a higher level. 

MS was good enough for Fulham to consider buying him over the summer. Just didn't work out there for him. He clearly knows how to score and get in the right positions. Should be a definate purchase. Down to what MS wants to do come the summer as im sure he would have gained lots more interest due to his exploits

According to my Fulham fan mate, the club's striker problem is still not solved, so there is every possibility that Smith will get a game there on his return, assuming Symons thinks his stint down here has improved his confidence in front of goal.

According to my Fulham fan mate, the club's striker problem is still not solved, so there is every possibility that Smith will get a game there on his return, assuming Symons thinks his stint down here has improved his confidence in front of goal.

the thing is fulham aren't short on striker options, it's just that none of the ones they have are taking their chances for whatever reasons. Im inclined to think it's the style of play/management as it's quite hard to think of a time so many strikers at one club have all been going through a dry spell

That's the rub. Taking him on loan again has burnt that bridge. I am sure Cotts has his radar working, and hopefully Wilbs is back soon.

As far as I understand it, the loan was all we could do. If we'd have bought him he wouldn't have been able to play at all until next season. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's how I took this silly FIFA ruling to be.

the thing is fulham aren't short on striker options, it's just that none of the ones they have are taking their chances for whatever reasons. Im inclined to think it's the style of play/management as it's quite hard to think of a time so many strikers at one club have all been going through a dry spell

Which is exactly why they might retry Smith.

My post was really a riposte to whoever it was said he'd be going back to Craven Cottage to make tea for two months. Not really! There's a very good chance they'll want him back in their first team.

Every goal drives his price up. Not sure I like cotterills laissez faire attitude on transfers at the moment.

The evidence so far shows that SC clearly does not have a laissez faire attitude to anything -- he seems to have a clearly defined strategy of which we are only now beginning to understand. Just keeps his cards close to his chest -- would you want it any other way?

i'm not really Aufait with the ruling, why would we not be able to play him if we bought him.. im assuming it's to do with the loan spell?

If we bought him outright, we would be his third permanent club of the season, which is one more than permitted by FIFA, so we'd have to wait until after June 1st 2015.

The evidence so far shows that SC clearly does not have a laissez faire attitude to anything -- he seems to have a clearly defined strategy of which we are only now beginning to understand. Just keeps his cards close to his chest -- would you want it any other way?

I actually agree with you - to an extent. Previously he hasn't been anything but laissez faire, but equally he's also been on the money as to whether we're going to put a deal together or not interested in a player. I don't like the... Avoidance (for lack of a better word) as to whether we're going to look to act on Smith as a permanent deal or whether that's a no go. In any case, there's nothing to be gained or lost either way - if we are interested in a permanent move for smith then one would assume that the relevant directors and agents would already be aware of it so no issue of leaked information compromising things. If we aren't interested it effectively signals that we must be on the lookout for someone else, but SC need not even say who, merely that we won't be taking smith any further.

I just think there needs to be a firm stance on this one - matt smith clearly has bags of potential but his price will only increase the more goals and good performances he puts in. I for one would like to know, are we in or are we out? (Preferably with a dragons den style montage ;) )

Archived