IGNORED

The Brilliance Of Cotterill

AshtonGreat

You've got to hand it to the man - no matter what the competition is (league, FA Cup or JPT), he manages to motivate the players and get the tactics spot-on. This is actually quite rare in football management. I find him funny, eccentric, inspirational to both fans and players, but, most of all, a winner. He's been a breath of fresh air for this football club.

He's a terrible manager though. Quote from everyone on OTIB a year ago.

Not from me it wasn't, the way he shuffles the pack is impressive, especially with such a limited squad in numbers, he seems to have come of age and has learnt the hard way, we are indeed lucky to have him here.

He is one of us, he's one of us.

Steve Cotterill is one of us!! (repeat)  :chant6ez:

He's a terrible manager though. Quote from everyone on OTIB a year ago.

As I mentioned in another thread Dave, according to some he still is. A recent thread on Brighton's forum discussed rumours that SC might be a contender for their then-vacant manager's job. The consensus on there was a resounding 'No thanks!' This despite the fact that we were top of the league, unbeaten for weeks

He certainly seems to have clicked here, hit the ground running, shaken it all up, turned it all around and other such inane phrases!

League One Bristol City and SC - a great fit.

Everyone confident that he would continue the success story if we went up to the Championship - a div with 17 ex-Premier League clubs?

You can never know for certain, of course, but I would certainly want him to stay. His eye for a good player is excellent, and players clearly like him. Put it this way, there isn't a single manager in the Championship I would rather have instead.

As I mentioned in another thread Dave, according to some he still is. A recent thread on Brighton's forum discussed rumours that SC might be a contender for their then-vacant manager's job. The consensus on there was a resounding 'No thanks!' This despite the fact that we were top of the league, unbeaten for weeks

Yet there are others who think Sean O'Driscoll's teams play good football when his sides brought the worst times and awful football I've ever witnessed down there.

Sometimes reputation is hard to shift.

Yet there are others who think Sean O'Driscoll's teams play good football when his sides brought the worst times and awful football I've ever witnessed down there.

Sometimes reputation is hard to shift.

It's the 'job interview' syndrome. People fall hook, line and sinker for people who can talk the talk, like SOD could. Cotterill comes in with his yokel accent and people think he's a chancer. But he's proving otherwise.

That's not to say that SOD has been a disaster in all of his jobs, and neither has Cotts always done the business. But in terms of their Bristol City tenures, there's no contest.

There's a lad from Preston originally at our work who absolutely hate Cotterill - which seems a hangover from Burnley days (he also dislikes Wade Elliott for same reason).

He refers to some interviews as "typical dingle bitter classless ****"

One thing he is right though - Cotterill is one of the worst losers after a game.

It's like watching Mourinho's interviews "congratulations to them, if that's how they wish to play against Chelsea with no attempt to even try to win then they succeeded"

:)

I get the sense he is a very good manager who has barely put a foot wrong but who arrived at a good time as far as our contract cycle goes.

Being able to release Carey, Fontaine, Elliott and Pearson was a god send, not filling the squad with shite like McInnes, Coppell or SOD then did was the clever bit.

Maybe he is a bad loser, but winning seems everything to him and I'm not surprised. Maybe you should be gracious in defeat but in such a results are everything business it just isn't ingrained in him. Anyway I've had enough of all the 'credit to the opposition' praise by our ex managers.

I've written a few days ago that others may laugh at him but I like his 'I'm a winner attitude'. He wanted his top spot back...and got it. He wants to win at a Wembley, not go there for a day out.

It might be spin, salesmanship or mind games but he seems to be able to motivate our players and attract quality. When did we last have a manager who did that?

No doubt it will end in tears one day, it always does but I'm enjoying myself right now thanks!

To be fair, tactics didn't look too clever for 30 minutes today. But came good in the end so all good.

SC said in the interview after the match that some of the players were not use to each others play and that it took those 30 minutes for them to click.  I think he was right as after that and especially in the second half, as you say all came good.  Well done SC.

No doubt Cotterill is doing a grand job here at City. He obviously has an eye for the type of player that help City get out of League 1 and he's had the resources to sign several of them. Thank Steve Lansdown for providing those resources.

Should City get back into the Championship then the greater test of Cotterills managerial acumen will follow. Clubs with established Championship squads and greater resources than League 1 clubs both make the Championship a much more difficult league.

Does Cotterill know what type of player he'll need to be competitive in that division?

Hopefully time will tell us.

What I like about Cotterill is that he's brought in players with the help of KB and moulded them into players that will suit the system he thinks will win games. For example, Like Ayling - RB by trade but retrained into an outstanding RCB. Freeman who was arguably preferably a wide player has been coached into the CAM role. Joe Bryan has been encouraged into a LWB from predominantly a LW. Very impressive and unseen often at this level.of the game.

Archived